Alright, I've gotta ask..

For a while, you were making your posts at almost the exact same time every day.. in the 10:30-10:45 range, with the occasion post closer to 10:00. You're not on the board for a couple of days, then yesterday and today, your posts come within the same 6 minute window - 11:15 to 11:21. I'm not trying to get on you, but I'm genuinely curious, how is it that you are here literally at almost the exact same time every day? If I tried to do that, I probably couldn't. I mean, the consistency there is remarkable. How do you do it?

No internet access at home maybe, maybe he's at college and has a break between classes at that time? It's hardly the weirdest thing in the world that someone would access a site at the same time each day.

It's a bit weirder that you're keeping track of his posting times if I'm honest. :P

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 2

No internet access at home maybe, maybe he's at college and has a break between classes at that time? It's hardly the weirdest thing in the world that someone would access a site at the same time each day.

It's a bit weirder that you're keeping track of his posting times if I'm honest. :P

But he's homeschooled.

Ok. I'm only saying one thing. I do have internet at home, I am home schooled.

Anyway, let's just hope Durban doesn't withdraw from bidding. The Commonwealth Games Federation doesn't want to be in the same bad situation as the IOC. Before the bidding, London, Singapore, Edmonton and Hambantota were all considering bids. Edmonton went through and bid. They ended up withdrawing. Now, we are only left with 1 bidder, Durban. What went wrong CGF? Fair enough, Durban is a decent bid, better to have Durban then to have Beijing and Almaty like the IOC does for the 2022 Winter Olympics. Beijing will host, they will have everything ready. But, I hope the CGF doesn't make the same mistakes the IOC has.

Anyway, let's just hope Durban doesn't withdraw from bidding. The Commonwealth Games Federation doesn't want to be in the same bad situation as the IOC. Before the bidding, London, Singapore, Edmonton and Hambantota were all considering bids. Edmonton went through and bid. They ended up withdrawing. Now, we are only left with 1 bidder, Durban. What went wrong CGF? Fair enough, Durban is a decent bid, better to have Durban then to have Beijing and Almaty like the IOC does for the 2022 Winter Olympics. Beijing will host, they will have everything ready. But, I hope the CGF doesn't make the same mistakes the IOC has.

Different situations though. The IOC has 2 bidders right now. They're both bad choices, but at least they are choices. If Durban were to drop out of the running to the 2022 CWG, then the CGF has zero options. I don't know what they would do in that instance.

The beauty of this, certainly from Durban's standpoint, is that they know they are the CGF's last resort. It's either them or go fishing for another city who wants to host when others have say no. You're right that the CGF is probably better off with Durban than the IOC is with Beijing and Almaty, but they have little margin for error. At this point, they need to do everything they can to keep Durban in the running. That gives Durban a lot of leverage that they wouldn't have otherwise had if they were competing against Edmonton.

Too true. And leverage the city should be using to make things work to their advantage. Let's see how the noise coming out of London is next week.

From looking at social media they have seriously upped their game and intensity, they must be overmoon that it's more a technical win needed. Then still, if the CGF try handle them too harsh they too can walk

Different situations though. The IOC has 2 bidders right now. They're both bad choices, but at least they are choices. If Durban were to drop out of the running to the 2022 CWG, then the CGF has zero options. I don't know what they would do in that instance.

The beauty of this, certainly from Durban's standpoint, is that they know they are the CGF's last resort. It's either them or go fishing for another city who wants to host when others have say no. You're right that the CGF is probably better off with Durban than the IOC is with Beijing and Almaty, but they have little margin for error. At this point, they need to do everything they can to keep Durban in the running. That gives Durban a lot of leverage that they wouldn't have otherwise had if they were competing against Edmonton.

Both are in a mess, because if Durban withdraws, no bidders are left. If Beijing withdraws, we are left with the mess of Almaty's bid. IMO, IOC are in a more difficult situation then the CGF is.

Both are in a mess, because if Durban withdraws, no bidders are left. If Beijing withdraws, we are left with the mess of Almaty's bid. IMO, IOC are in a more difficult situation then the CGF is.

So your argument is that the IOC is in a more difficult situation because they could be left with Almaty than the CGF which could be left with no bidders at all? Is that what you're trying to say?

It seems a bit surprising to me for a city in a no-lose situation to cut sports. I would have expected them to instead use existing, reasonable venues instead of giving into the fantasy projects the sports federations want. An outdoor concrete velodrome is actually very easy to maintain and inexpensive to build if Durban doesn't have one; if you can afford a skate park you can afford a simple outdoor velodrome.

The expensive Olympic venues come from hiring a starchitect like Zaha Hadid to design a massively bigger structure than cities actually need in the long term. This is a bit disappointing, because I see this as a golden opportunity for a city to dictate terms to a sports organization rather than the other way around. Los Angeles and the IOC were in a similar position in 1984 and the city was able to host exactly the way it wanted to.

If Durban doesn't want to host track cycling or gymnastics when it could basically choose whatever venues they want, what does that say about the future of large multi-sport events?

Edited by Nacre

If Durban doesn't want to host track cycling or gymnastics when it could basically choose whatever venues they want, what does that say about the future of large multi-sport events?

That the Federations should be put on notice that NOT everybody cares for their sports. Can't wait for the day when somebody shows the IAAF and FIFA the door.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

No cycling? That's unbelievably crazy.

The Commonwealth is pretty strong in track cycling - Australia, New Zealand and England are 3 of the top track cycling nations in the world.

If they don't have a suitable venue (and Im sure they could come up with something), surely at least farm it out to another city.

We have an outdoor velodrome. Track cycling is not a thing here. It's also not a mandatory event, so we have no interest to have it. Hence cycling is represented by road race and mtb, two forms that are very big here. I don't see the problem with that at all.

No cycling? That's unbelievably crazy.

The Commonwealth is pretty strong in track cycling - Australia, New Zealand and England are 3 of the top track cycling nations in the world.

If they don't have a suitable venue (and Im sure they could come up with something), surely at least farm it out to another city.

We have an outdoor venue. Cape Towns venue is being demolished and Joburg does not have one.

It's not a significant sport to us, it won't have long term benefits to us, we won't medal in it, so why spend on it when we can chose not to have it? Makes sense to me

Cycling should always be a Sport at the Summer Olympics and Commonwealth Games. England dominates it.

That shouldn't matter. Rather it's important that Commonwealth nations like England, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Hong Kong are ALL good at it.

• Like 1

Cycling should always be a Sport at the Summer Olympics and Commonwealth Games. England dominates it.

Last I checked, a sport doesn't need to be dominated by England to be on the program. Besides England is losing steam in track cycling anyways, as witnessed at the track worlds a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1