I wouldn't bet on Durban being the host for the 2028 games, especially since the games will be awarded in 2021, a year before the CGs even happen. The IOC will want to see the games run smoothly on top of construction for the CGs to go smoothly as well. And if it somehow came down to Rome and Boston in the final, my money is on Boston because the city, as well as the country, is more financially stable than Rome and Italy.

Nah. Even Rogge wanted to give the Games to RSA as early as 2011 when the IOC met in Durban. An Olympics is RSA's for the asking. It doesn't matter that 2022 will NOT have been run. They hosted a pretty good 2010. If they can do that, they can host a much smaller SOGs, especially with the IOC breathing down the necks of all its chosen hosts in terms of being on-time. And with CWG 2022, then Durban will have 2 sets of test events - 2022 and whatever test events will be lined up for 2027.

The only question is will RSA spring for TWO billion-dollar athletes' Villages? One for CWG 2022 and a new one for SOG 2028. That is the long-term planning they have to look at in assessing to run 2022-2024 or 2022-2028. Can the Durban real estate market handle the sudden release of some 3,000 units into the open market (whether rentals or sales), in two waves? If the outcome of the 2022 CWG Village sales is a bust, then I think they will be wary of duplicating that fiasco for 2028 -- NOT unless the housing market for Durban burgeons in those 6 years.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Off-topic: Baron, please clear our conversation thread from your inbox. There is an important message awaiting you, it's in regard to the 2028 Bid Comp. Thanks!

Nah. Even Rogge wanted to give the Games to RSA as early as 2011 when the IOC met in Durban. An Olympics is RSA's for the asking. It doesn't matter that 2022 will NOT have been run. They hosted a pretty good 2010. If they can do that, they can host a much smaller SOGs, especially with the IOC breathing down the necks of all its chosen hosts in terms of being on-time. And with CWG 2022, then Durban will have 2 sets of test events - 2022 and whatever test events will be lined up for 2027.

The only question is will RSA spring for TWO billion-dollar athletes' Villages? One for CWG 2022 and a new one for SOG 2028. That is the long-term planning they have to look at in assessing to run 2022-2024 or 2022-2028. Can the Durban real estate market handle the sudden release of some 3,000 units into the open market (whether rentals or sales), in two waves? If the outcome of the 2022 CWG Village sales is a bust, then I think they will be wary of duplicating that fiasco for 2028 -- NOT unless the housing market for Durban burgeons in those 6 years.

The housing units are not at all a worry. They will actually be welcomed. The city stated in that release that they will build the area in an area called Cornubia. It's a new development area to the north of the city where currently $11 billion is being invested in housing and commercial and industrial developments. A large chunk is social housing. My belief is they need to build these homes anyway as the social housing backlog is about 100,000 units. Yes these will be bigger and fancier than normal social housing so might be partially sold off at a higher rate. But there is no denying the units will be needed for the cities growth.

The spot chosen, Cornubia, makes sense from a housing legacy perspective and it is on a trunk route of the cities new GO! DURBAN mixed BRT, rail and bus transit system. There will be direct links from the Cornubia area to the kings park stadium precinct and in the express public transit that would take 30mins or so. It's about 20km from the main stadium.

So as I had said before. They might be silent because of requirement of government sign off, but loads of work has been happening behind the scenes

• Like 1

Rogge was practically begging for South Africa to join the 2020 race, and I had read on a number of occasions that Rogge hoped to award the first Olympics to Africa sometime during his tenure. I don't think hosting the CWGs really has any bearing on a South African bid. They've already hosted the FIFA WC, Rugby WC, All-Africa Games (granted that's not saying much), Cricket World Cup matches. While that's not a guarantee of Olympic success, South Africa has a decent resume when it comes to hosting international events.

All A Durban bid has to be is credible. South Africa will likely be able to get by in certain instances where other bid cities could not. By 2021 when the vote for 2028 takes place, most of the infrastructure for the CWGs will be in place. I also think that when South Africa does decide to go for the Olympics, they will enter as the biggest favorite to win since Beijing in the 2008 race. It will be a landslide victory.

For a CWGs Durban just needs a robust sustainable work plan...Very do'able and now less risk as sole contender.

For the Olympics...South Africa will need a robust and very sound economy. It's a big investment to anyone bar the USA who couldn't care less either way. Even the FIFA WC was less expensive to host and the economy got more out of it due to it's long timeframe...An Olympics is an expensive build up for two weeks of mayhem and then that horrible post games feeling of it's all over.

• Like 1

For a CWGs Durban just needs a robust sustainable work plan...Very do'able and now less risk as sole contender.

For the Olympics...South Africa will need a robust and very sound economy. It's a big investment to anyone bar the USA who couldn't care less either way. Even the FIFA WC was less expensive to host and the economy got more out of it due to it's long timeframe...An Olympics is an expensive build up for two weeks of mayhem and then that horrible post games feeling of it's all over.

The Olympics isn't that bad. It can have a good legacy of used right, like London 2012 has.

Correction: If.

So I guess it's official now, the South African government has given it's support to the 2022 CWG's bid.

RSA must've known something. Keep quiet for months. And then when the other party folds, release your website -- and it's a DONE deal!!! WOW!!

Is this going to be the cakewalk for them also when they decide to run for the SOGs?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I wonder if the SA government suspected/knew about Edmonton's troubles, & that's why they were holding off approving the bid.

I wonder if the RSA government is asking itself what Canada knows that ir doesn't. If a very rich country like Canada can't afford the games... not to mention that nobody else is bidding. Hmmm.

Whether or not a city or country can "afford" a major sporting event like this is a function of the return on the investment. The folks in Edmonton probably decided that it wasn't worth the cost, not simply that they don't have the funds to pay for it. That Durban is still in the race and Edmonton doesn't necessarily mean that Canada has more money than South Africa or that Edmonton is more capable of hosting. It simply means that Durban has a better vision for the event than Edmonton. The reasons that led Edmonton to pull out of the race may or may not translate over to Durban to the point that they would want to pull out as well.

Yeah, it does look like Durban waited for Edmonton to leave the bidding, then when they did, Durban started taking the bidding seriously. Looks like Durban will host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, unless they leave the bidding aswell.

Yeah, it does look like Durban waited for Edmonton to leave the bidding, then when they did, Durban started taking the bidding seriously. Looks like Durban will host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, unless they leave the bidding aswell.

Really?...Ya think?

Alright, I've gotta ask..

For a while, you were making your posts at almost the exact same time every day.. in the 10:30-10:45 range, with the occasion post closer to 10:00. You're not on the board for a couple of days, then yesterday and today, your posts come within the same 6 minute window - 11:15 to 11:21. I'm not trying to get on you, but I'm genuinely curious, how is it that you are here literally at almost the exact same time every day? If I tried to do that, I probably couldn't. I mean, the consistency there is remarkable. How do you do it?

Alright, I've gotta ask..

For a while, you were making your posts at almost the exact same time every day.. in the 10:30-10:45 range, with the occasion post closer to 10:00. You're not on the board for a couple of days, then yesterday and today, your posts come within the same 6 minute window - 11:15 to 11:21. I'm not trying to get on you, but I'm genuinely curious, how is it that you are here literally at almost the exact same time every day? If I tried to do that, I probably couldn't. I mean, the consistency there is remarkable. How do you do it?

OCD