A 50 year plan leaves the realization of these goals a bit far off. I'm not saying it isn't worth doing, but if they're going to land Olympics, they're going to need to show some progress sooner rather than later.

Current and immediate projects would be completed by 2016; the second phase would continue until 2019.

A 50 year plan leaves the realization of these goals a bit far off. I'm not saying it isn't worth doing, but if they're going to land Olympics, they're going to need to show some progress sooner rather than later.

As most people would be aware, cities all over the world have to plan for their futures. A 50 year plan is for a city that is radically changing. 90% of the plan will have nothing to do with a Commonwealth and Olympics but the betterment of the city for its residents and businesses.

And as others mentioned, there are different milestones for different aspects of any plan. For example, the vast multi billion dollar intergrated transport system that is underway will have phase one completed in 2016, phase 2 (a-c) from 2019, phase 3 from 2022.

Lets say, at least they being proactive in planning and now implementing and keeping sporting precincts core to the plan.

• Like 2

As most people would be aware, cities all over the world have to plan for their futures. A 50 year plan is for a city that is radically changing. 90% of the plan will have nothing to do with a Commonwealth and Olympics but the betterment of the city for its residents and businesses.

And as others mentioned, there are different milestones for different aspects of any plan. For example, the vast multi billion dollar intergrated transport system that is underway will have phase one completed in 2016, phase 2 (a-c) from 2019, phase 3 from 2022.

Lets say, at least they being proactive in planning and now implementing and keeping sporting precincts core to the plan.

I'm not an idiot. Of course city planning involves long-range strategy. The posted story did not outline what was scheduled when. It mentioned a 50 year plan.

As we know from Rio, plans are lovely, but execution is something else. It's great that Durban is moving forward, but it remains to be seen when they will be truly prepared for Olympic Games.

I can certainly do without your snotty condescension though.

• Like 2

ahh sensitive? Sometimes I do not know when to inform or ignore because many here are so very quick to dismiss anything from the developing world. It like there are these permanent blinkers on.

If you knew what I said already... why did it not form a part of your logical response? Any if you want clarity on all the strategic initiatives underway in the city its not hard to find online. A bit of research always help. and yes we do have internet access

Sorry if it sounds snotty to you, but people in developing nations are very tired of the prejudging and highly condescending nature of many that do not even take time to learn anything about the countries they so freely putdown. Large portions of developing cities are worlds ahead of those in developed nations, this is always ignored. I suppose it doesnt help that the vast majority of people commenting on the ambitions of developing nations have actually never stepped foot in those countries so speak from a position of total naivity.

So yes i might end up being confrontational at times in here and at other times i wil embrace sound criticism because of course i know my cities flaws and major strides that need to be taken.

ahh sensitive? Sometimes I do not know when to inform or ignore because many here are so very quick to dismiss anything from the developing world. It like there are these permanent blinkers on.

If you knew what I said already... why did it not form a part of your logical response? Any if you want clarity on all the strategic initiatives underway in the city its not hard to find online. A bit of research always help. and yes we do have internet access

Sorry if it sounds snotty to you, but people in developing nations are very tired of the prejudging and highly condescending nature of many that do not even take time to learn anything about the countries they so freely putdown. Large portions of developing cities are worlds ahead of those in developed nations, this is always ignored. I suppose it doesnt help that the vast majority of people commenting on the ambitions of developing nations have actually never stepped foot in those countries so speak from a position of total naivity.

So yes i might end up being confrontational at times in here and at other times i wil embrace sound criticism because of course i know my cities flaws and major strides that need to be taken.

You wrote "As most people would be aware, cities all over the world have to plan for their futures." The tone of that statement speaks for itself.

I have absolutely nothing against South Africa and I would love to see them host wildly successful Olympics. The fact remains that they do not have any meaningful experience with large multi-sport international events hosted in a single city. The Olympics are a mammoth undertaking. They involve such monumental sums of money, such intricate organization and such extensive infrastructure improvements that some of the most stable nations in the world have turned them down because the task seemed too great and offered insufficient incentives.

If Brazil, whose economy is much larger and whose sporting experience is much greater than South Africa is having as much trouble as they are having, it stands to reason that people will wonder about Durban's ability. This is not prejudice against a developing nation. It's simple prudence.

I think it makes a great deal of sense for South Africa to flex its muscles with Commonwealth Games first. Even afterwards, Olympics will be a challenge, but South Africa will have that much more experience and the IOC will have that much more reassurance.

I don't think it's fair at all to paint South Africa with the same brush as Brazil. For starters, Brazil is hosting two very different mega sporting events a mere two years apart. It was an issue of contention when Rio was bidding for 2016. "Would the IOC embrace Brazil after having their hands full with WC 2014". And apparently, those concerns had some merit afterall.

At least South Africa showed the world with WC 2010 that they can handle a mega sporting spectacle. And also at least with the commonwealth games, it's the same type of sporting event as the Olympics that would get them much more in line with the ultimate goal. Plus, unlike Brazil (which seems to have a much more laid-back type of approach at life, much like the Greeks), South Africa seems to have a more pragmatic approach about things. It's certainly what kept them from bidding for 2020 (when many expected them to), & it doesn't look like they'll blindly jump into 2024, either. Although, when they're finally ready to bite the bullet, they're definitely going to be a great force fo reckon with.

I don't think it's fair at all to paint South Africa with the same brush as Brazil. For starters, Brazil is hosting two very different mega sporting events a mere two years apart. It was an issue of contention when Rio was bidding for 2016. "Would the IOC embrace Brazil after having their hands full with WC 2014". And apparently, those concerns had some merit afterall.

At least South Africa showed the world with WC 2010 that they can handle a mega sporting spectacle. And also at least with the commonwealth games, it's the same type of sporting event as the Olympics that would get them much more in line with the ultimate goal. Plus, unlike Brazil (which seems to have a much more laid-back type of approach at life, much like the Greeks), South Africa seems to have a more pragmatic approach about things. It's certainly what kept them from bidding for 2020 (when many expected them to), & it doesn't look like they'll blindly jump into 2024, either. Although, when they're finally ready to bite the bullet, they're definitely going to be a great force fo reckon with.

They will still need to prove that they can host an multi sporting event to bring the Olympics to Africa an event like the Commonwealth Games would be a great setting for so they can show they can do it Istanbul has not learn they not hosted an multi sporting event and guess what they keep on losing the hosting rights, While Rio de Janeiro hosted an grand 2007 Pan American Games and they won the 2016 games.

If Durban host an amazing great Commonwealth Games in 2022 then they could be the city to beat in the 2032 Olympics Bid race.

They will still need to prove that they can host an multi sporting event to bring the Olympics to Africa an event like the Commonwealth Games would be a great setting for so they can show they can do it Istanbul has not learn they not hosted an multi sporting event and guess what they keep on losing the hosting rights, While Rio de Janeiro hosted an grand 2007 Pan American Games and they won the 2016 games.

If Durban host an amazing great Commonwealth Games in 2022 then they could be the city to beat in the 2032 Olympics Bid race.

Yeah, too bad Turkey is neither member of the Commonwealth or OCA, nor is it in Africa or Panamerica and the bloody Europeans only now discovered they're the only continent without its only multi-sports Games.

Yeah, too bad Turkey is neither member of the Commonwealth or OCA, nor is it in Africa or Panamerica and the bloody Europeans only now discovered they're the only continent without its only multi-sports Games.

They could go with the University Summer Games but it has been to Izmir in 2005 so Izmir will be the right city to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Turkey if they bid with Izmir then it could be an game changer and be like the Barcelona of the Eastern Europe.

They could go with the University Summer Games but it has been to Izmir in 2005 so Izmir will be the right city to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Turkey if they bid with Izmir then it could be an game changer and be like the Barcelona of the Eastern Europe.

You never cease to amaze me.

Because Istanbul never hosted a multi-sports event, but Izmir did, Izmir will have so much better chances than Istanbul in an IOC voting? As I said earlier in another thread, the worrying thing is that you probably really believe what you're writing.

• Like 3

I didn't paint South Africa with the same brush as Brazil and I don't think the IOC will either.

HOWEVER, I do think that Rio's problems will make them look very closely before going to a country with a far smaller economy and less experience.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Uh oh!

Mbalula slapped down over Commonwealth bid announcement

Cape Town - Sports Minister Fikile Mbalulaappears to have jumped the gun when he announced in Glasgow that Durban would bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

According to the Sunday Times, Mbalula broke the news at the Commonwealth Games Federation general assembly last week and said he could "guarantee" that the government will play its part in hosting the most successful sporting events in South Africa.

However, it has since emerged that no discussions of this nature have been held by government.

According to the newspaper, KwaZulu-Natal premier Senzo Mchunu’s office contacted Mbalula shortly after his announcement to inform him that the 2022 Games were not on the province’s list of priorities.

Communication’s Minister Faith Muthambi said no discussions about hosting the Games had been held and that they would "follow up" with Mbalula on his return to South Africa.

However, when contacted by the Sunday Times, Mbalula admitted that his announcement did not have cabinet approval.

News24

A rebuttal, of sorts, however. And some (unenlightening) news on the Oly bid:

SASCOC clears bid confusion

Cape Town - The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) has corrected the misconception as reported in the Sunday Times newspaper regarding South Africa’s 2022 Commonwealth Games bid.

SASCOC confirmed they followed the right procedure and engaged various stakeholders which include: City of Durban, Durban Tourism, KZN Tourism, Department of Sport KZN and Premier’s office in the exploratory work.

As per process, SASCOC, which represents Commonwealth Games Association South Africa has given an indication to the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) of the city of Durban’s intention to bid for Commonwealth Games in 2022 while in consultation with Honorable Minister of Sports and Recreation South Africa, Fikile Mbalula, whilst on the other hand SASCOC is engaging with the CGF.

Mbalula is following government due process in relation to securing national cabinet approval to endorse the bid process.

The issue of an Olympic bid will unfold at a point and time when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) informs the Olympic Committees of the world of the bidding process and the date for opening such a bidding process.

News24

This type of confusion is exactly the sort of thing that casts a shadow of doubt over SA's ability to host. If they aren't communicating with each other about the bid, what's likely to happen with the organization of the Games themselves? I'm not saying they can't do it, but this sort of misstep doesn't look good.

I've always taken it is SASCOC being really aggressive in their desires and the government being the stern parent telling the child to hold their horses.

South Africa has hosted the 1995 Rugby World Cup, the 2003 Cricket World Cup and the 2010 World Cup. Rugby was a reward for end of apartheid and was politically used to mark some progress in healing and a gesture to the Afrikaner minority that still had substantial control over the military, police and economy. The World Cup was for the black majority. There was and is a lot of politics in hosting both those events because of the ingrained popularity of the respective sports. The multi-sport events do not have that level of cache for the population and I think that leaves the government in a position to not be as supportive

Edited by Faster

I still think at this stage Durban should likely win. But... the first doubts that this may not be a formality after all are starting to creep in.

Edmonton seems to be doing all the things a professional bid team should be doing. Durban? I'm still not totally confident that it's even "official" yet. I get the impression that it's all being steamrolled by Gideon Sam, the sports ministry and the Durban local council in the hope of pushing the government into backing a fait accompli. And the government for its part not making any commitment whatsoever.

And Durban's not really giving out any messaging beyond "it's our time, we're owed" yet. I dunno, I really WANT Durban to win this, but all we seem to be getting is Gideon Sam swanning around the place declaring entitlement. <_<

And, as Lord David would no doubt point out. No Logo yet??? How can a bid be serious without a logo? ;) I betcha there should be a few Edmonton logo bid pins and stickers being given out in Glasgow. Maybe we should send our suggestions through to Gideon to quickly do up at the local Snap Printing ;)www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/19286-durban-bid-logo-comp/?hl=durban

I hope Durban doesn't waltz into Auckland next year with the attitude of expecting to be handed the keys to 2022.:(

They still have work to do...convincing Pretoria for a start that a CWGs would be a great lead in for an Olympics.

Just an idea...what if the SA government had come to the opinion that they're not really interested in any Olympic (CWG) ambitions anymore and would set other priorities? And that the government just hasn't made this clear to their sports officials yet?

Of course the IOC would be desperate to give it to them, but if they don't submit a bid, tough luck, life will go on.

As I mentioned earlier, it's still too early to tell. I could easily see this being a walk in for Edmonton if Durban remains apathetic.

This could very well be similar to the 2020 Olympic race with Edmonton being the Tokyo - the reliable, and somewhat boring, former host winning over the more exotic and untried new frontier (Durban, Istanbul)

The conflicting messages coming out of South Africa regarding this bid would be massively problematic for any other bidder. South Africa can probably get over it if they go on to get there act together and bid. But that seems a big 'if' at the moment.

This could very well be similar to the 2020 Olympic race with Edmonton being the Tokyo - the reliable, and somewhat boring, former host winning over the more exotic and untried new frontier (Durban, Istanbul)

The only thing missing, though, is a dizzy Madrid comparison.