Gooooo Durban!!!

I noticed Rols has not started a Durban thread...but, naturally, thrown his weight behind the Deadmonton bid...Guess he's trying to bait a certain someone out there in exile to be allowed back into the GB fold...

...naughty naughty Rols ;-)

Who? Anyway sorry for off topic post, but can you empty your inbox Alex and I message you as soon as. Anyway back to topic, Durban will win because of the first African Commonwealth Games.

• Like 1

Gooooo Durban!!!

I noticed Rols has not started a Durban thread...but, naturally, thrown his weight behind the Deadmonton bid...Guess he's trying to bait a certain someone out there in exile to be allowed back into the GB fold...

...naughty naughty Rols ;-)

No, there was just no new news or article to start a Durbs thread with, just what was in the CWG press release and no response yet from SA (though that didn't stop Tony), while there was more extra detail on Edmonton to put up. Otherwise, I think Edmonton's as appealing as herpes for another games. I'm Durban through and through for the 22-24 double.

Still, nice to see you still stalk me, and then automatically start braying for the opposition to what you think I like.

And, no, you're the only one who's ever wanted the world's biggest troll to come back here.

No, there was just no new news or article to start a Durbs thread with, just what was in the CWG press release and no response yet from SA (though that didn't stop Tony), while there was more extra detail on Edmonton to put up. Otherwise, I think Edmonton's as appealing as herpes for another games. I'm Durban through and through for the 22-24 double.

Still, nice to see you still stalk me, and then automatically start braying for the opposition to what you think I like.

And, no, you're the only one who's ever wanted the world's biggest troll to come back here.

Who are you talking about (Cough Last sentence)?

Alex's sugar daddy.

You stalk me as well...

And this is an open topic

Still...you do have to wonder what the, um, former contributor would be thinking with another home bid going up against another African country.

I like Edmonton, and that kick ass mall, but unless Durban does something phenomenally stuuuupid, seems to be a lost cause?

That stadium is STILL the most stand out CWG structure IMHO.

I know we're not much freinds on GB anymore, but I do not hate you Rols.

Edited by Alexjc

No, I've been trying to ignore you for a long time. But if you bring my name up, especially when linked to an assumption so wrong I find offensive...

In all that silly banter which was nearly eight years ago...did I miss something, because that's all I thought is was coming from the Troll, yes others went head to head, jeez even the Moderator threw in some good kicks, but he really hooked you in and I just can't find what it is. If it was the homophobia comments, I'm sure you have heard worse out on the street in that open minded -not! Country you call home.

...If in any case I do apologise for causing offense to you. And I wont banter you with it again.

In all that silly banter which was nearly eight years ago...

No, it's the general chip-on-you-kiwi-shoulder xenophobia of most of your comments

I'm sure you have heard worse out on the street in that open minded -not! Country you call home.

Like that.

Anyway, haven't you got some malaysians to go and kick and point out their national shortcomings...

Edited by Sir Rols

Now that's offensive!

yet if we track your CWGs record...you seem to support "white" candidate cities over developing countries, and you call me xenophobic? Yet you live in a country thats about to allow Bigotry to be enshrined into law?

...comon Rols...

Sigh.

Calm down Rols...

See, I knew it was a mistake to engage with you again.

Do me a favour and just put me on your ignore list.

And Tony. This is what comes from starting threads with nothing to discuss yet. A Durban thread would have been inevitable... but at least kick it off with a conversation starter.

Edited by Sir Rols

And Tony. This is what comes from starting threads with nothing to discuss yet. A Durban thread would have been inevitable... but at least kick it off with a conversation starter.

Sulker.

Tony has every right to open a topic and one that is important as this. I look forward to Durban as the favorite candidate to win 2022. We have always wanted a South African bid ever since it's return from isolation. Now we've finally got one.

I'm a supporter of Durban 2022. Edmonton has already Hosted, Africa hasn't. Although, if Durban does win, they should wait a while before Bidding for the Summer Olympics. I'm with you on this Alex, I'm in the pro Durban camp.

Why not? What's wrong with Edmonton? Anyway, I think you're right, Durban must get this & I wouldn't be amazed if Edmonton pulled out to save blushes/money. I don't even think the Commies should be in Canada's strategy at the moment anyway, the World Cup & the Toronto Olympics are far bigger, better prizes that would surely do Canada more good than a Commies.

I think all this yay South Africa bleating is missing a few valid points. There is a fair bit of SA fatigue throughout Africa. SA seems to host everything and the "first world" seems to equate giving events to SA as appeasing all of Africa. The Comm Games are of a size that the Nigerias (shudder) and Kenyas of the world should be bidding and maybe even hosting (gasp!!) The SAOC is rolling the dice here - expecting they have the African votes when other parts of Africa within that bloc have made it clear they also want to stage this event. Durban 2022 is going to make it very hard for another African country to host anytime soon and throwing the Games to SA after passing on Nigeria may not sit too well amongst the Africans.

However that aside - I can see the CGF going with Durban just to show up the IOC a little bit - whereas the IOC are in a better position to pass on Durban and wait for another Cape Town bid to eventuate down the line or wait for Morocco to throw stupid amounts of money at a bid (which they have hinted at before).

Why not? What's wrong with Edmonton? Anyway, I think you're right, Durban must get this & I wouldn't be amazed if Edmonton pulled out to save blushes/money. I don't even think the Commies should be in Canada's strategy at the moment anyway, the World Cup & the Toronto Olympics are far bigger, better prizes that would surely do Canada more good than a Commies.

This isn't a national bid. No Federal government funding will be given if Edmonton wins.

I think all this yay South Africa bleating is missing a few valid points. There is a fair bit of SA fatigue throughout Africa. SA seems to host everything and the "first world" seems to equate giving events to SA as appeasing all of Africa. The Comm Games are of a size that the Nigerias (shudder) and Kenyas of the world should be bidding and maybe even hosting (gasp!!) The SAOC is rolling the dice here - expecting they have the African votes when other parts of Africa within that bloc have made it clear they also want to stage this event. Durban 2022 is going to make it very hard for another African country to host anytime soon and throwing the Games to SA after passing on Nigeria may not sit too well amongst the Africans.

However that aside - I can see the CGF going with Durban just to show up the IOC a little bit - whereas the IOC are in a better position to pass on Durban and wait for another Cape Town bid to eventuate down the line or wait for Morocco to throw stupid amounts of money at a bid (which they have hinted at before).

It's all about rotation. Africa hasn't Hosted a Commonwealth Games or an Olympic Games. So that's why Durban is considered the favourite to get the 2022 Commonwealth Games and most probably the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. No one can deny that South Africa is Africa's strongest contender. I don't think Abuja would Bid for a long time now. I think Morocco will get an Olympic Games before Nigeria gets a Commonwealth Games and Morocco probably won't get an Olympic Games for at least another 20-30 years. South Africa has proven it can deliver, after Hosting the 2010 Fifa World Cup. I actually thought that South Africa would of Bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games with Cape Town and the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics with Durban. Obviously, they chose Durban as their Candidate for the 2022 Commonwealth Games, although I still think they will also Bid with Durban over Cape Town for the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Also a factor, is that Durban's Stadium is capable of expansion to Olympic Requirements Capacity and the capability of having an Athletics Track put on. Green Point Stadium in Cape Town hasn't got the space for an Athletics Track. Also, I think after Cape Town's failed Bid for the 2004 Summer Olympics and Paralympics (Which of course, was eventually awarded to Athens), I think the South African Olympic Committee might want to have a 'Fresh start' and a fresh Bid with Durban. That's my view on it all anyway. Like I said, I'm surprised that Durban was chosen over Cape Town as South Africa's Candidate for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Durban Bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games divides the City. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2022/1019259-durban-bid-for-2022-commonwealth-games-divides-city - Source: Inside the Games.

• Like 1