• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to Edmonton quick to launch a website too

For a bid logo it's fine. Nothing more to say than that really.

And dysan, whatever Durban comes up with, it can't be worse than Abuja's WordArt/MS Paint inspired effort....

Abuja_2014_Commonwealth_Games_bid.jpg

Based on the vast number of creatives in Durban, anything like that I and would say we give up because the city council would not really be taking it seriously

Phew, I'm glad they got a maple leaf in there , I was getting worried for a minute. :P

As small as possible....but then E. 1978 was a Maple Leaf, and a stylish one at that.

225398-gold-coast-commonwealth-games-201

That's a good one; if a little too top-heavy. Had never seen it before...but Gold Coast and 2018 should just be on the same line; and then "Queensland" (if necessary) should just be right underneath instead of sitting at the bottom. Just let the bleh CWG logo sit by itself at the bottom.

• 1 month later...

Edmonton 2022 reveals plans for new velodrome

Canadian city Edmonton plans to invest between C$80m (€55.3m/$72.9m) and C$100m in a new velodrome as part of its bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

In a press conference today (Tuesday) in London – to mark the one year countdown ahead of the 2022 host city decision – local bid committee Edmonton 2022 revealed that the Category B facility will have a capacity of 3,000 to 5,000 seats, which will be expandable for the Games.

Edmonton 2022 chairman Reg Milley also hopes that the city’s training facilities will be utilised ahead of the Games, particularly by smaller Commonwealth nations, as part of an effort to ensure every participating country wins at least one medal.

“We’re hoping to invite nations – especially less developed sporting nations – to Edmonton two or three years before the Games so that they can use all of our sporting facilities and centre of excellences,” Milley (pictured) told SportBusiness International.

“We’re also looking to partner with a communications company to make sure that online access is available in these smaller countries. If a doctor in England can guide a doctor in Glasgow to do a heart operation, good god we can transfer sport technology too.

“If we can get the right partner to invest in this technology and help those nations reach the podium, they can then access the third of the world’s population under 25 years old (in the Commonwealth nations). This could be firms like Bell Media and Rogers Communications, or several of them working together.”

Edmonton - which hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1978 - is up against South African city Durban in bidding for the 2022 event, with the African continent having never hosting the Games before.

Candice Stasynec – Edmonton 2022 vice-president and Edmonton Events executive director – admitted that the Canadian bid is facing a “very strong competitor in Durban”.

“We’ve decided to focus on the strengths that we have and maybe offer a new exciting model to the Commonwealth Games Federation and all of its associations, but for every competition with a great prize, there will always be strong competition,” she said

Source:http://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/edmonton-2022-reveals-plans-new-velodrome

As much as I applaud Edmonton for the work and publicity it is giving itself in the bid race I think the Commonwealth Games needs Durban to host to keep the interest in different countries bidding and hosting.

Canada can then go for the centennial in 2030.

As much as I applaud Edmonton for the work and publicity it is giving itself in the bid race I think the Commonwealth Games needs Durban to host to keep the interest in different countries bidding and hosting.

Canada can then go for the centennial in 2030.

It's already been suggested before that here in London, England could get the Centennial in 2030.

They can give the games to Edmonton Canada and keep the interest for the Commonwealth Games in other countries. I could see Singapore bidding for the 2026 Games and Port of Spain Trinidad and Tobago as well as countries like Sri Lanka, South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya bidding in the future. Another Canada games will bring back the interest to an major Commonwealth country like Canada and I think the CWF will want too make it up to Canada after an crappy 2010 Games in Canada. I think India ruined chances of developing countries like South Africa and Sri Lanka from hosting the games for 25 years and there is leadership problems for the Durban bid as well between the government and bidding leaders as well so South Africa is showing problems before even the bidding city get;s picked.

I would like future Commonwealth Games like this Edmonton Canada 2022 - Singapore 2026 - Perth Australia 2030 - Cape Town South Africa 2034

Perth will not Host!

The Commonwealth Games Headquarters are located in London, England. London, England would be one of the Favourites for the Centennial in 2030.

They can give the games to Edmonton Canada and keep the interest for the Commonwealth Games in other countries. I could see Singapore bidding for the 2026 Games and Port of Spain Trinidad and Tobago as well as countries like Sri Lanka, South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya bidding in the future. Another Canada games will bring back the interest to an major Commonwealth country like Canada and I think the CWF will want too make it up to Canada after an crappy 2010 Games in Canada. I think India ruined chances of developing countries like South Africa and Sri Lanka from hosting the games for 25 years and there is leadership problems for the Durban bid as well between the government and bidding leaders as well so South Africa is showing problems before even the bidding city get;s picked.

FFS man!...proof read!

Edmonton does look the insurance policy for the CWGs though and if Durban does fall before the finish line (favouring the OSGs) then South Africa will have pretty much blown it and will not have a so sympathetic Commonwealth to fall back on in the race for 2026.

Perth will not Host!

The Commonwealth Games Headquarters are located in London, England. London, England would be one of the Favourites for the Centennial in 2030.

Perth Western Australia already hosted the Commonwealth Games back in 1962 and we are in an good shape to host the next Commonwealth Games in Australia after the Gold Coast 2018.

Perth Western Australia already hosted the Commonwealth Games back in 1962 and we are in an good shape to host the next Commonwealth Games in Australia after the Gold Coast 2018.

Well, sh!t, I actually agree with you for once!

I think everyone would be happy if Oz sat out of hosting for a good few rounds now, though.

1962's requirements are different to the 21st Century requirements. Also, with England, Singapore, Canada and South Africa all intending to Host Future Commonwealth Games, Australia will have to wait after Gold Coast 2018.

1962's requirements are different to the 21st Century requirements. Also, with England, Singapore, Canada and South Africa all intending to Host Future Commonwealth Games, Australia will have to wait after Gold Coast 2018.

Evidence for England and Singapore intentions, please?

Evidence for England and Singapore intentions, please?

Well, I can't remember where I saw the article, but I know here in London, England aswell as Singapore both had intentions of Bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They didn't, which suggests to Me that we (London, England) and Singapore are both considering a Bid for Future Commonwealth Games.

Well, I can't remember where I saw the article, but I know here in London, England aswell as Singapore both had intentions of Bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They didn't, which suggests to Me that we (London, England) and Singapore are both considering a Bid for Future Commonwealth Games.

I have no idea re: Singapore, but Boris Johnson ruled out a bid from London for 2022 because he believed the costs - particularly security - would be too high. You're right though that there was some intention to bid. Whether this intention is still there I have no idea, and I haven't actually seen any evidence that it is. As I said in the earlier thread on this, however, we could have Tessa Jowell as Mayor after Johnson, and I think she'd be very supportive of a bid using the legacy facilities from 2012. It's still a waiting game at the moment though.

Edmonton committed to staging Commonwealth Games again, even if they do not get 2022

Edmonton have claimed they will immediately bid again for the Commonwealth Games if the city fails to secure the hosting rights for the 2022 event.

Edmonton, which last hosted the competition in 1978, is currently in a race against Durban in South Africa, but the Canadian bid team believes the city is the perfect stage for the event in eight years' time.

Reg Milley, chairman of Edmonton 2022, admitted they have also looked at an Olympic and Paralympic bid but the Commonwealth Games is the main focus right now.

Edmonton will continue to chase them if the Commonwealth Games Federation names Durban as the 2022 host city at its General Assembly in Auckland, New Zealand on September 2, next year, he promised.

"An Olympic bid is something that we have looked at and our Events Edmonton staff are continuingly looking at and analysing this," Milley told insidethegames.

"But right now we are really focused on this [the 2022 Commonwealth Games].

"If we wanted to do an Olympic bid in the future we easily could and I think what's happening now is the potential of a group of countries getting together to host and sponsor the event.

"We've got two great cities in Alberta - Calgary and Edmonton.

"We could host one between us.

"But right now we are not focused on the Olympics.

"This is something we could look at and eventually we may, but right now it's the Commonwealth Games."

Milley added: "The first thing that would happen [if Durban is awarded the hosting rights for the 2022 Commonwealth Games] is we would go after the next Commonwealth Games.

"We think we can really offer something.

"When I look at it from a business and cultural perspective there's just so much synergy there that we can capture.

"We would be very disappointed [if we did not win the Games].

"We would also learn a tremendous amount from bidding and be able to take those learnings onto the next Commonwealth Games."

Edmonton city manager Simon Farbrother added that the goal is to not lose the 2022 bid, which is expected to cost about CAD$7-10 million (£4-6 million/$6-9 million/€5-7 million).

Canada last hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1994 in Victoria, while the continent of Africa has never hosted the event, but Nigeria's capital Abuja did bid for this year's edition, which eventually went to Glasgow.

The next Games are set to take place in Australia's Gold Coast in 2018.

Insidethegames

Archived