Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Almaty 2022 Olympic Winter Games Will be Compact, Efficient: IOC Application

If Oslo falls through and Krakow is as weak as being reported, I'd much rather the IOC take a chance with Almaty than head to Beijing.

This is precisely what I've been saying all along. If there's still a danger that Oslo pulls out & Krakow isn't all that up to speed, is the only way I can see Almaty being taken seriously. Yet I still get chastised by some here for it.

Doha, located in a country that hates gays, doesn't allow alcohol, has no sporting experience, is known for bribing the FIFA officials, has a low population, has dreadful heat, had only just allowed women to compete in their first olympics, has basically no olympic medals from their own athletes.

Almaty, political uncertainty.

You're right, they are just like eachother!

And despite ALL those flaws with Doha, you were still soooo in LOVE with them back then like you are with Almaty now.

What makes you think that Kazahkstan would love gays any much more. Other than sexual activity being "legal" in the country, the LGT community there still gets treated with contempt & have no other rights whatsoever, like as with much of Russia & nearly all of the other former Soviet Repulics.

Alcohol? I guess that's important if you're a beer-guzzling booze hound. And yes, I'd forgotten how much of a sporting prowess Kazahkstan is at the Winter Olympics. And how do you know that some shady dealings couldn't go on with the oil-rich, ego driven nation. Maybe not on the scale of FIFA, but ya never know.

And are you for real? Compelling argument? Um a good bid is generally pretty good in comparison to other previous cities. A new country seems pretty good, much better then a city that wants to host 14 years later. Also they have the most venues in place.

Do you always have to be so snarky! Yet I'm the one who gets called obnoxious with the sneering comments. Pfft! :rolleyes:

Just a good bid by itself never wins. If a new continent isn't good enough for you, then why should merely just a new country be any more compelling.

.What's compelling about Beijing? The dreadful air pollution that is 9x the recommended level? A games 14 years later in the same city? A city that has no previous winter hosting experience? No no, you're right Beijing is better and will be shortlisted yet it is ridiculous to think Almaty will.

I've never said that Beijing was compelling, only a good, proven, last resort option. And having the FIRST Winter Olympics in a country with 1.5 million people by 2022 ain't a bad consolation either. Certainly much more marketable than Kazahkstans 17 million. As far as the rest of your anti-China rant, I ain't getting into it for the umpteeth time again with you.

Yes, Beijing has proven itself to deliver, but they have also proven to break their promises. They said that the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics would be a chance to sort out their environment problems, here we are nearly 6 years later with Beijing and their environment problems, which is far worse in the Winter. Yes, Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy, just a back up if Oslo and Krakow pull out. As I've stated many times, I can't see only one City being eliminated. Oslo and Krakow will be shortlisted as far as I am concerned, I'm just undecided whether it should be Beijing OR Almaty joining them, not both.

I don't see how the Chinese broke their promises when they delivered spectacular Games & cleaner (than usual) air for the 2008 Olympics. Them falling off the wagon again is a whole other issue. And who's to say what promises anyone else may or may not keep, anyway. Especially when it comes to someone not that familiar.

I can't remember who said it now, but someone mentioned that BOCOG was one of the most difficult organising committees the IOC has had to work with in terms of co-operation between the two organisations. I'm not disagreeing with the idea that China is a reliable partner that will certainly deliver. But whether Beijing is somewhere the IOC will want to return to unless their hand is forced is questionable. I'm sure from a reliability point of view they'll shortlist though.

I can't remember who said it now, but someone mentioned that BOCOG was one of the most difficult organising committees the IOC has had to work with in terms of co-operation between the two organisations. I'm not disagreeing with the idea that China is a reliable partner that will certainly deliver. But whether Beijing is somewhere the IOC will want to return to unless their hand is forced is questionable. I'm sure from a reliability point of view they'll shortlist though.

Puppy, NOC and pure facts mentioned that on multiple occasions.

• Like 1

The way Bach brown noses to prominent, authoritarian regimes, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, if need be.

In a field this weak, the IOC needs more than one insurance policy. That's why I think the likely outcome will be eliminating Lviv and keeping the other four.

The way Bach brown noses to prominent, authoritarian regimes, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, if need be.

I just love how you generalize and exaggerate. What exactly was Bach suppose to do in Sochi? Stand there and criticism Russia and Putin? He wasn't the only one that held their nose and went through the motions. And what other authoritarian regime as Bach 'brown nosed' to?

Kazakhstan is not as unstable as you protray it. As far as I am aware, one of Nazarbayev's daughters is the likely successor if anything was to happen to Nursultan.

Irony? (The fact the reigning president/dictator will probably be succeeded by a family member does not really suggest Kazakhstan is a free country . . .)

This is precisely what I've been saying all along. If there's still a danger that Oslo pulls out & Krakow isn't all that up to speed, is the only way I can see Almaty being taken seriously. Yet I still get chastised by some here for it.

That makes it an insurance policy.

Irony? (The fact the reigning president/dictator will probably be succeeded by a family member does not really suggest Kazakhstan is a free country . . .)

Does it matter that Kazakhstan is a 'free country'? The discussion was stable, not free.

• Like 1

Does it matter that Kazakhstan is a 'free country'? The discussion was stable, not free.

And that stability might go once the current leader's time in office ends, by one way or another. Nazarbayev isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore, 8 years can be a long time in a generally volatile region.

And that stability might go once the current leader's time in office ends, by one way or another. Nazarbayev isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore, 8 years can be a long time in a generally volatile region.

Not any less stable then a nation such as the US or the majority of Europe. Elections every few years or so, the US government is about to change complete parties after this years elections. Kazakhstan is stable, politically for now.

Not any less stable then a nation such as the US or the majority of Europe. Elections every few years or so, the US government is about to change complete parties after this years elections. Kazakhstan is stable, politically for now.

If a democratic country changes ruling parties that won't trigger a violent power struggle, though. The Chinese at least have reasonably fair elections. (You can only vote for members of the communist party, but you still get to vote and the vote is not rigged.)

^No, Beijing is the insurance policy, not Almaty.

You haven't been saying that all along! You've been saying Beijing is better than Almaty, as shown in the post you said less than 24 hours ago!

Being seriously looked at (which doesn't necessarily mean that you've got the goods in the first place) in case Oslo bails & Krakow doesn't convince, is NOT the same thing as being an insurance policy right from the very beginning. If you can't tell the diffenrence, then that's your damn problem. And if you continue with your contemptuous tone, as you've been doing "all along", then I will no longer waste my time with you. So LAY OFF my fu@cking back already if you can't be civil!!

Re: Beijing being a safe option, someone posted an article several weeks ago that basically said Zhangjiakou is not really up to snuff as an alpine resort and might not even really have the necessary vertical drop. Can anyone remember/find that piece?

I just love how you generalize and exaggerate. What exactly was Bach suppose to do in Sochi? Stand there and criticism Russia and Putin? He wasn't the only one that held their nose and went through the motions. And what other authoritarian regime as Bach 'brown nosed' to?

Not generalizing or exaggerating anymore than anyone else here about anything else. Bach in speeches seemed like he was almost galvanizing Russia. Rogge never seemed like he was just praising the host country, but rather the Games themselves. Or perhaps Bach is merely over-the-moon at being head-honcho now. But for the most part, what I saw was over-dramatization towards Russia. And I'm not the only one on these boards that noticed the same thing.

• Like 1

Not generalizing or exaggerating anymore than anyone else here about anything else. Bach in speeches seemed like he was almost galvanizing Russia. Rogge never seemed like he was just praising the host country, but rather the Games themselves. Or perhaps Bach is merely over-the-moon at being head-honcho now. But for the most part, what I saw was over-dramatization towards Russia. And I'm not the only one on these boards that noticed the same thing.

No, I have noticed it in everything I see Bach in, I think it's just his excitement to be the President. If you watch the recent IOC sessions with him as head-honcho and is a bit over-excited.

Being seriously looked at (which doesn't necessarily mean that you've got the goods in the first place) in case Oslo bails & Krakow doesn't convince, is NOT the same thing as being an insurance policy right from the very beginning. If you can't tell the diffenrence, then that's your damn problem. And if you continue with your contemptuous tone, as you've been doing "all along", then I will no longer waste my time with you. So LAY OFF my fu@cking back already if you can't be civil!!

Well with the uncertainty surrounding Oslo and the seemingly negative reports on Krakow then yeah Almaty is looking like the insurance policy. I partially understand your point of Beijing being an insurance policy with them hosting a games before, except that they were a summer games. They haven't hosted anything winter related, they have to build a lot of venues and renovate/upgrade nearly the rest unlike Almaty which has over half already built and not needing renovations. (Basing this off the post in the other thread) If they were bidding for a summer games they would be an insurance policy as they are known and tested.

Either way they only just hosted a games and if they were to win these games would be the 3rd consecutive Olympics in Eastern Asia.

And judging by a lot of articles it seems that i'm not the only one who ranks Almaty over Beijing.

And you quoted me first in this thread. And i'm not ok with you bagging out Almaty left right and centre on these forums. so yeah i'm going to keep on replying to you when you post anti Almaty stuff.

Uhm, regular elections in democratic countries tend to lead to regular government changes - that's an essential part of the system and usually, the parties standing in such elections accept that. Having a ruler for 25+ years who wants to hand over to his nearest family member is not at all comparable.

Almaty does need to renovate alot of Venues. Yes, they are Building facilities for the 2017 Winter Universiade, but the Olympic requirements are higher. Especially the Medeo needs a Renovation/Expansion.

Almaty does need to renovate alot of Venues. Yes, they are Building facilities for the 2017 Winter Universiade, but the Olympic requirements are higher. Especially the Medeo needs a Renovation/Expansion.

Tony, once again your wrong as the day is long! Almaty has little to no venues they need to renovate, please read the damn applicant file.

Tony, once again your wrong as the day is long! Almaty has little to no venues they need to renovate, please read the damn applicant file.

Almaty are Building Facilities for the 2017 Winter Universiade. Olympic requirements are higher than Universiade requirements, so Almaty would need mostly upgrades and SOME new Venues. Medeo definitley needs a Renovation, with a Capacity increase, and cover over the Seating Areas. Almaty isn't going to win anyway, so this argument is irrelevant.