Almaty 2022 Olympic Winter Games Will be Compact, Efficient: IOC Application

GBModerator

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony what the hell are you talking about? Almaty has the most venues already constructed.

No, most of the Almaty venus will be constructed in 2016-2021. Look up the bid book.

I think that Almaty bid is heavily sugarcoated.

That's not how I read it and it's not how Gamesbids reads it. Take another look at the first sentence in the article that started this thread.

Once again: Look up the dates in the Almaty bid book.

Except that it's in Kazakhstan

And??

That doesn't change the technical quality of the bid. Show me any other example where one of the top two technical bids was eliminated solely for geopolitical reasons. I don't see any precedent.

I can't imagine Almaty winning, but the IOC is going to want them on the shortlist.

Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.

All other countries are run by little girls.

Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.

Other countries have inferior potassium.

lol?

I agree with Athensfan. Almaty will be shortlisted because its bid is technically strong. Remember the shortlist looks at can the city host and meet requirements, not personal preferences of IOC members.

And??

That doesn't change the technical quality of the bid. Show me any other example where one of the top two technical bids was eliminated solely for geopolitical reasons. I don't see any precedent.

I can't imagine Almaty winning, but the IOC is going to want them on the shortlist.

Exactly. Maybe it's arrogance on the part of the Almaty bid team to intentionally produce such a rudimentary bid book.

Almaty was always going to make the candidate stage due to what they already have.

The precedent is Doha, regardless of what anyone says. The numbers don't lie. If unbearable heat is a 'technical deficiency', then so is the risk of politically uncertainty. Bcuz without political stability, a supposed good technical bid is only as good as the paper it is produced on. And even if Almaty will have all the venues built by 2017, then they have already been disingenuous by saying that they 'won't overspend'.

You're right. Let's not give them the games because it's in Kazakhstan. You put up a compelling argument! Great job :rolleyes:<_<

I've yet to hear a compelling argument bcuz it's in Kazahkstan. Other than supposedly they have a good bid & they've never hosted.

The precedent is Doha, regardless of what anyone says. The numbers don't lie. If unbearable heat is a 'technical deficiency', then so is the risk of politically uncertainty. Bcuz without political stability, a supposed good technical bid is only as good as the paper it is produced on. And even if Almaty will have all the venues built by 2017, then they have already been disingenuous by saying that they 'won't overspend'.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument bcuz it's in Kazahkstan. Other than supposedly they have a good bid & they've never hosted.

Just no.

First, Doha was technically ok, but they had nowhere near the existing construction of Almaty. Almaty can make a decent case for having the best technical plan of all the applicants. Doha could not. There were multiple other bids that were clearly better from a technical standpoint.

Second, the IOC didn't decide to rule out Doha for geopolitical reasons. They ruled out Doha for logistical and financial reasons. The climate is so hot during the target dates that competition is unsafe. The proposed date change would've infuriated broadcasters and been a violation of the terms under which they bid for rights. All parties would've lost millions. It was totally untenable.

No such obstacles exist for Almaty. The worst you can say is that their bid lacks a story and is ego driven, that it's too close to Sochi and that more geographical variety is needed in the wake of PC and Tokyo.

But the reality is that Almaty CAN host technically strong Games that meet the necessary requirements. Doha COULD NOT promise that.

FYI, you're a smart guy, but you're oddly blind where Almaty is concerned.

Kazakhstan is not as unstable as you protray it. As far as I am aware, one of Nazarbayev's daughters is the likely successor if anything was to happen to Nursultan. There was a program to increase female participation in public life, many had viewed that as preparing the country for a female ruler.

Kazakhstan possesses incredible natural beauty and a warmth and hospitality that is a stark contrast to their Russian neighbours. Also unlike Ukraine, Kazakhstan has been fairly free to have strong relationships with the US, Russia and China. Though their lack of European connections certainly put them much more firmly in need of strong Russian relations. Kazakhstan is also considerably easier to get a visa to than Russia and despite Almaty's remote location, it is also fairly straight-forward to get to. I am guessing that hotels will be an issue for Almaty and transportation is not exactly ideal.

Despite superficial ignorances that paint Kazakhstan as similar to Russia, it is very different. If they can weave what it means to be Kazakh into their bid, it would be enough of a narrative to get people talking. Kazakhstan is not in the same position as China and Russia were. It is not trying to show how grand they can be, but to show themselves. I would compare the potential of a Kazakh Olympics to be more like Seoul than a Tokyo, Beijing or Sochi.

Kazakhstan also can serve as another important milestone for the Olympic movement. The first majority Muslim nation (at the time the Games were staged)

If Oslo falls through and Krakow is as weak as being reported, I'd much rather the IOC take a chance with Almaty than head to Beijing.

Kazakhstan is not as unstable as you protray it. As far as I am aware, one of Nazarbayev's daughters is the likely successor if anything was to happen to Nursultan. There was a program to increase female participation in public life, many had viewed that as preparing the country for a female ruler.

Kazakhstan possesses incredible natural beauty and a warmth and hospitality that is a stark contrast to their Russian neighbours. Also unlike Ukraine, Kazakhstan has been fairly free to have strong relationships with the US, Russia and China. Though their lack of European connections certainly put them much more firmly in need of strong Russian relations. Kazakhstan is also considerably easier to get a visa to than Russia and despite Almaty's remote location, it is also fairly straight-forward to get to. I am guessing that hotels will be an issue for Almaty and transportation is not exactly ideal.

Despite superficial ignorances that paint Kazakhstan as similar to Russia, it is very different. If they can weave what it means to be Kazakh into their bid, it would be enough of a narrative to get people talking. Kazakhstan is not in the same position as China and Russia were. It is not trying to show how grand they can be, but to show themselves. I would compare the potential of a Kazakh Olympics to be more like Seoul than a Tokyo, Beijing or Sochi.

Kazakhstan also can serve as another important milestone for the Olympic movement. The first majority Muslim nation (at the time the Games were staged)

If Oslo falls through and Krakow is as weak as being reported, I'd much rather the IOC take a chance with Almaty than head to Beijing.

Just because Nazarbayev wants his daughter to succeed him, there's no guarantee that this transmission would go ahead smoothly, or at all. History has seen many examples how such dynastic succession (and planned non-dynastic ones) ended up disastrously. And I'm sure there's people also in Kazakhstan and its neighbouring countries *cough* who'd like to seize the opportunity of a power transition period for their own purposes.

Doha, located in a country that hates gays, doesn't allow alcohol, has no sporting experience, is known for bribing the FIFA officials, has a low population, has dreadful heat, had only just allowed women to compete in their first olympics, has basically no olympic medals from their own athletes.

Almaty, political uncertainty.

You're right, they are just like eachother!

And are you for real? Compelling argument? Um a good bid is generally pretty good in comparison to other previous cities. A new country seems pretty good, much better then a city that wants to host 14 years later. Also they have the most venues in place.

What's compelling about Beijing? The dreadful air pollution that is 9x the recommended level? A games 14 years later in the same city? A city that has no previous winter hosting experience? No no, you're right Beijing is better and will be shortlisted yet it is ridiculous to think Almaty will.

Doha, located in a country that hates gays, doesn't allow alcohol, has no sporting experience, is known for bribing the FIFA officials, has a low population, has dreadful heat, had only just allowed women to compete in their first olympics, has basically no olympic medals from their own athletes.

Almaty, political uncertainty.

You're right, they are just like eachother!

And are you for real? Compelling argument? Um a good bid is generally pretty good in comparison to other previous cities. A new country seems pretty good, much better then a city that wants to host 14 years later. Also they have the most venues in place.

What's compelling about Beijing? The dreadful air pollution that is 9x the recommended level? A games 14 years later in the same city? A city that has no previous winter hosting experience? No no, you're right Beijing is better and will be shortlisted yet it is ridiculous to think Almaty will.

I totally agree. Almaty is alot stronger than Doha was, but Almaty won't win. I'm still undecided whether Almaty OR Beijing should make the shortlist.

I totally agree. Almaty is alot stronger than Doha was, but Almaty won't win. I'm still undecided whether Almaty OR Beijing should make the shortlist.

None of us are saying they we will win, just that they are the IOC's insurance policy this race.

Archived