Sochi Russia 2014 Winter Paralympics Games Closing Ceremony

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching the Para-CLosing tape-delayed (& edited) on NBC-Sports. It was nice, kinda low-tech but certainly not on a cheap budget. A lot of heart & soul went into making it -- if only real events played outside with more humanity and honesty.

One single moment touched me. When the legless guy climbed up a 50-ft long rope, then pushed 3 blocks between "M" and "P" in IMPOSSIBLE to then make I'm POSSIBLE. So simple, yet so communicative and powerful. Now, of course, if only the predominantly Russian crowd got the ingenuity of that. And also, the Closing hymn w/ 2 Russian divas and Jose Carreras, singing a song w/ supposed "English" lyrics in their heavy Russian & SPanish accents to a predominantly Russian crowd. It was like WTF were they singing??? Some subtitles would've helped the home viewer.

I guess Russia and Putin must feel extremely satisfied with the Games they put on and the results 300 miles away in the Crimea. BTW, many of those 40,000 troops stationed to guard Sochi during the regular Olympics were apparently among the first boots sent to Crimean soil MINUS all their insignias. Talk of Olympic ideals and duplicity! You can take Russia out of the Soviet era, but you can't take the Soviet mindset out of the Russians bodies. :(

Just finished watching the Para-CLosing tape-delayed (& edited) on NBC-Sports. It was nice, kinda low-tech but certainly not on a cheap budget. A lot of heart & soul went into making it -- if only real events played outside with more humanity and honesty.

One single moment touched me. When the legless guy climbed up a 50-ft long rope, then pushed 3 blocks between "M" and "P" in IMPOSSIBLE to then make I'm POSSIBLE. So simple, yet so communicative and powerful. Now, of course, if only the predominantly Russian crowd got the ingenuity of that. And also, the Closing hymn w/ 2 Russian divas and Jose Carreras, singing a song w/ supposed "English" lyrics in their heavy Russian & SPanish accents to a predominantly Russian crowd. It was like WTF were they singing??? Some subtitles would've helped the home viewer.

I guess Russia and Putin must feel extremely satisfied with the Games they put on and the results 300 miles away in the Crimea. BTW, many of those 40,000 troops stationed to guard Sochi during the regular Olympics were apparently among the first boots sent to Crimean soil MINUS all their insignias. Talk of Olympic ideals and duplicity! You can take Russia out of the Soviet era, but you can't take the Soviet mindset out of the Russians bodies. :(

I haven't watched any of the paras - I don't think I've viewed any footage at all of all from Sochi since the main Oly closed. But looking back at my verdict from the main event, I think my overall conclusion's only been strengthened in my mind considering wider events since then - probably the best organised and presented and slickest games ever, but which are destined to be forever tarnished in the history books as the "invasion" games.

Also, what's so odd is that while they were so slavish to the 3 mascots in the regular Big O ceremonies; nothing was seen or heard of the two Para mascots in the Para ceremonies. What a contrast of night and day. But the show 'cauldron' which Bear blew out in the regular Closing, reappeared as the farewell cauldron in the Paras.

BTW, the PyeongChang artistic portion was quite beautiful -- better than the one in the regular O. I think it's one of the best Handover Artistic sequences I have seen! And their calligraphic presentation matched the Kandinsky portion of the opening segment of this Para Closing ceremony.

Another very Impressive and Nice Ceremony, Great use of colour and deign,

but strangely

While I can watch the London 2012 Industrial revolution sequence and the whole of the London 2012 closing ceremony over and over again on DVD,

Great as the Sochi ceremony’s have been I’m not sure I would want to watch them again. In the same way.

As a general over view without the floor projections, greats as these ceremonies have been they wouldn’t have been as impressive.

However, no offense to the Russians, the singing of the national anthem took forever at this ceremony.

OMG I think the have a Super Long Version i.e think of the US anthem with more verses which the original poem did have and a short version. The anthem is kind of cool I like to pretend to lip sing it

OMG I think the have a Super Long Version i.e think of the US anthem with more verses which the original poem did have and a short version. The anthem is kind of cool I like to pretend to lip sing it

What are u blabbing about? The subject here is the over-long Russian anthem for which, I think they played the full 48 bars-long version.

Yeah, but Sochi already set the mark at the handover in Vancouver: There, they also sang all three stanzas of the national anthem - so it was pretty obvious that they would repeat that on home soil, too. It only emphasised that these Olympics and Paralympics were instrumentalised as extremely patriotic events by our "beloved invader" Putin.

It's true that the memory of the Sochi Games will always be tarnished by what happened during and after them. And the worst is probably yet to come. I feel sorry for all the ordinary Russians who thoroughly enjoyed hosting the Games - but the patron of those Games had other things in his rotten mind. He made those Games, and he also destroyed them. Truly schizophrenic behaviour.

And so it was probably only fitting that ARD didn't even allow me to watch the complete closing of those five tarnished weeks of Sochi. The only brighter spot is that that tiny German Paralympic team performed extremely well: 13 participants, 15 medals (even if those medals were won by only five athletes).

By the way: ZDF just reported on the closing ceremony and noted that the IPC violated its own rules by allowing a government official (vice prime minister Dmitry Kozak) taking the place of the organising committee president to make the closing speech of the Games. I'm really curious what led them to that quirky decision. Do they like to be the tools of a ruthless regime?

Yeah, but Sochi already set the mark at the handover in Vancouver: There, they also sang all three stanzas of the national anthem - so it was pretty obvious that they would repeat that on home soil, too. It only emphasised that these Olympics and Paralympics were instrumentalised as extremely patriotic events by our "beloved invader" Putin.

It's true that the memory of the Sochi Games will always be tarnished by what happened during and after them. And the worst is probably yet to come. I feel sorry for all the ordinary Russians who thoroughly enjoyed hosting the Games - but the patron of those Games had other things in his rotten mind. He made those Games, and he also destroyed them. Truly schizophrenic behaviour.

And so it was probably only fitting that ARD didn't even allow me to watch the complete closing of those five tarnished weeks of Sochi. The only brighter spot is that that tiny German Paralympic team performed extremely well: 13 participants, 15 medals (even if those medals were won by only five athletes).

By the way: ZDF just reported on the closing ceremony and noted that the IPC violated its own rules by allowing a government official (vice prime minister Dmitry Kozak) taking the place of the organising committee president to make the closing speech of the Games. I'm really curious what led them to that quirky decision. Do they like to be the tools of a ruthless regime?

Well, in the NBC tape-delayed version, whatever it was that Kozakj said, was deleted anyway. It was only Craven, taking a page from that other Fascist, J.A. Samaranch who went on, glowed and glowed about the Games. It does seem very suspicious that they took Chernesky ( or whatever his name was) and substituted Kozakj. Maybe C had prepared a closing speech that didn't exactly "fit" the events of the day? It will really be interesting to hear what the foreign production people will say about this whole episode, once they get out of Russia.

And I bet those poor Ukranian athletes must've also felt so helpless and at the same time, so put upon to at least put in a brave "presence" in the land of the invading bears!!

Their official answer:

http://www.paralympic.org/news/deputy-prime-minister-kozak-speak-sochi-2014-closing-ceremony

And it may well be exactly true. They got what they wanted for the Paralympic movement (and the wider disability rights movement too) from Russia. All successful regimes are ruthless, to a greater or lesser extent, they just have different ways of showing it.

And I bet those poor Ukranian athletes must've also felt so helpless and at the same time, so put upon to at least put in a brave "presence" in the land of the invading bears!!

Second only to Russia in the total number of medals won.

Also, what's so odd is that while they were so slavish to the 3 mascots in the regular Big O ceremonies; nothing was seen or heard of the two Para mascots in the Para ceremonies. What a contrast of night and day. But the show 'cauldron' which Bear blew out in the regular Closing, reappeared as the farewell cauldron in the Paras.

BTW, the PyeongChang artistic portion was quite beautiful -- better than the one in the regular O. I think it's one of the best Handover Artistic sequences I have seen! And their calligraphic presentation matched the Kandinsky portion of the opening segment of this Para Closing ceremony.

As I hinted a couple of weeks ago, the mascots were in the colours of the Ukrainian flag. The Games /

Ukraine semi-invasion thing brings a whole new level of meaning to the term "false flag attack".

I agree that the Korean presentation was much classier than usual; roll on 2018.

Another very Impressive and Nice Ceremony, Great use of colour and deign,

but strangely

While I can watch the London 2012 Industrial revolution sequence and the whole of the London 2012 closing ceremony over and over again on DVD,

Great as the Sochi ceremony’s have been I’m not sure I would want to watch them again. In the same way.

As a general over view without the floor projections, greats as these ceremonies have been they wouldn’t have been as impressive.

That last sentence is almost like saying "without skates, ice dance wouldn't be as impressive". One of the cleverest things about the Sochi ceremonies was that they accepted London's notion of multiple simultaneous actions in both the horizontal and vertical planes, to satisfy both TV and stadium audiences, but imposed constraints which enabled them to avoid the sense of "chaos". The floor projections and the various hanging props were both integral and brilliantly integrated with the live action.

On the other hand, the London opening bears re-watching precisely because of the chaos- there's always something new to be discovered. Apart from the post-war Moscow scene of the Sochi opening, that's not so true of the Russian effort.

On the other hand, the London opening bears re-watching precisely because of the chaos- there's always something new to be discovered. Apart from the post-war Moscow scene of the Sochi opening, that's not so true of the Russian effort.

Well, because Boyle, Daldry & crew really had NO original vision other than...let's make it look 'messy' as NO other ceremony has attempted that look; thereby appropriating the "mish-mash / throw everything in but the kitchen sink, hoping something will stick' category all to itself.

As I hinted a couple of weeks ago, the mascots were in the colours of the Ukrainian flag.

I missed that the first time you mentioned it; but brilliant observation, JMark!!

And having seen all four 2014 ceremonies now, I think I can safely estimate the 2014 ceremonial costs went as high as $145 mil.

Here's how I'd break it down:

2 regular O's + Awards ceremonies - $75 mil.

Para ceremonies - $35 mil

Roof, tracks, hangars and raised stage additions, and tear-down to Fisht - $35 mil

[Plus,if they gave bonuses to Ernst & top production people for a job well done - probably another $8 million or so; altho bonuses might not be a practice in Russia yet.]

So I'd say it would match Beijing's costs.

Well, because Boyle, Daldry & crew really had NO original vision other than...let's make it look 'messy' as NO other ceremony has attempted that look; thereby appropriating the "mish-mash / throw everything in but the kitchen sink, hoping something will stick' category all to itself.

I'd say you've missed the central pillar of the London approach: "lets try to find new ways of doing stadium/TV spectacle; we'll all be dead by the next UK Olympics, so we might as well go for broke".

Roof, tracks, hangars and raised stage additions, and tear-down to Fisht - $35 mil

I wonder if that's an underestimate. It was a seriously sturdy and large roof, with nine tracks and 81 precision-controlled cars, each with a precision-controlled winch; pretty much an order of magnitude beyond anything we've seen before in terms of aerial facilities.

Also, has anyone noticed the complete absence of military in the Sochi Olympic/Paralympic ceremonies?

Every host since at least Salt Lake City has given the honor of carrying and/or hoisting the national flag to members of its military. Except Russia.

London

article-2195474-14BDF5F4000005DC-486_634

Vancouver

2558505.jpg

Beijing

chinese-flag_787798c.jpg

Torino

c3photogallery72photosfoto18im.jpg

Athens

yZlcmWfl.jpg

Salt Lake City

imSZpGY.jpg

Also, has anyone noticed the complete absence of military in the Sochi Olympic/Paralympic ceremonies?

Every host since at least Salt Lake City has given the honor of carrying and/or hoisting the national flag to members of its military. Except Russia.

Soooo many sick jokes hanging on that observation. A really sad example of political deviousness.

The Mounties aren't the military. But members of the military DID raise the flag in Vancouver.

I always thought this was a sort of unwritten "rule" that the military had to raise the flag.

I wonder if that's an underestimate. It was a seriously sturdy and large roof, with nine tracks and 81 precision-controlled cars, each with a precision-controlled winch; pretty much an order of magnitude beyond anything we've seen before in terms of aerial facilities.

I was being conservative. I mean certain things and labor are probably still cheap in Russia; and it's NOT like Athens where they had to build that underground stage/reservoir around existing pilings and foundations of the older stadium. I imagine the one in Beijing was also NOT too difficult as the water table might've been low and it was pretty much planned also at about the same time they were erecting the stadium foundations. Sochi's tracks are cheap; it's not like they were laying out bullet train tracks. What's expensive for Sochi were the trusses and cross-bars which had to be strong enough to span the 210-ft opening (average) and carry as much as 25 tons' weight at any one time. And the trusses used inside Fisht were also used for the bigger storage hangar because all those things had to hang even when not in use.

Also, there was another humunguous, magnificent hanging prop which was NOT used but sat in the storage hangar for awhile. Read more details in the next edition of my book.

In reply to JLishere's comment about NO military presence was seen in the Sochi ceremonies, well, there were these...Peter the Great's cadets...

Sochi-Olympics-Openin_Olso.jpg

[Also, the carabiniere in Italy are like the RCMP and the Guardia Civil of Spain -- the local police force; not military forces to be mobilized for foreign action. The sailors in Athens -- well, when did you hear of the Greek navy ever invading any shores...and it was in keeping with the nautical theme of 2004. Those guys in Salt Lake were NYC Police force officers and the other military-looking guys are the Fife, Drum & Bugle Corps of the US Marines or Army; and purely a ceremonial outfit.]

I think it's rather obvious now that the real Russian troops deployed to Sochi were just there for the interim before many divisions were transferred to the Crimea.

Also, came across this clip about young Muscovites letting their hair down and having some fun. It's something that could've been like a rehearsal for a Sochi routine!! Some interesting highlights:

1. Luzhniki Stadium will come up in the bkgd somewhere in the middle.

2. What looks like a contingent of Red Army privates actually join in with the Pussy Riot crowd...

3. There is a ski-jump inside Moscow itself? ( around 4:50 on the right??)

4. Even a wedding couple joins in. Bride is very lovely.

London

article-2195474-14BDF5F4000005DC-486_634

Vancouver

2558505.jpg

Beijing

chinese-flag_787798c.jpg

Torino

c3photogallery72photosfoto18im.jpg

Athens

yZlcmWfl.jpg

Salt Lake City

imSZpGY.jpg

They were all in Crimea during the event.

Frankly, what does a frickin flag entering a stadium has anything to do with the military action in Ukraine? Try to broaden your perception on things. Not everything about Sochi 2014 is about politics. The boards are monotonously filled with opportunistic bitching about everything Russian. Is it impossible to appreciate anything about last month Winter Olympics without pushing ideology and politics ahead of it?

Frankly, what does a frickin flag entering a stadium has anything to do with the military action in Ukraine? Try to broaden your perception on things. Not everything about Sochi 2014 is about politics. The boards are monotonously filled with opportunistic bitching about everything Russian. Is it impossible to appreciate anything about last month Winter Olympics without pushing ideology and politics ahead of it?

Sochi is already remembered in large part for its political shadow. Unfortunate, I agree. But there's nothing you can do about that.

Archived