Portland 2026

Considering I appear to be the only other person from this area, I can tell that this WILL NOT HAPPEN. The only info i could find was fan made website, and this city is to forward thinking, for better or worse, to foot several billion dollars or even just several million if the majority is privately funded. If people in this city complain about building a hotel, I cant help but think this city wont admire an olympics.

• Like 1

Considering I appear to be the only other person from this area, I can tell that this WILL NOT HAPPEN. The only info i could find was fan made website, and this city is to forward thinking, for better or worse, to foot several billion dollars or even just several million if the majority is privately funded. If people in this city complain about building a hotel, I cant help but think this city wont admire an olympics.

binary, I'm also from the Portland metro area and I concur with your opinion. Much as I'd love to see an Olympics in my backyard there's no way that folks in this city would support an Olympic bid, at least not a Winter Olympics bid. A Summer Olympics bid might be slightly more likely but even that would likely get killed once people realized the cost and environmental impact. With as big of a fight as the folks over in Lents put up to the idea of building a baseball park to keep the Portland Beavers Triple-A team in town, there's no way I can see the citizens of the region willing to build a speedskating oval or a sliding center. I'll have to find some time to look over that website though, just for grins and giggles.

I don't think Portland would be horrible at hosting the winter games. Timberline is big enough for the alpine events and gets plenty of snow. But I can't see it getting enough private funding, surviving the referendum process, impressing the USOC or winning enough votes from the IOC.

Problems:

* Portland doesn't have a stadium for the ceremonies, and it's hard to find a use for the stadium after the games other than the MLS Portland Timbers who can't help with financing.

* The city has existing venues, but they are already being used in the winter. The Blazers aren't going to be happy about being forced to take a month-long road trip.

* Portland is not a major air transportation hub or a major tourist destination. Vancouver did a great job of hosting, but it is an air hub, cruise ship port and a bigger tourist destination overall.

* Oregon's major universities (Oregon and Oregon State) are not located in Portland, cutting off an obvious source of venues and training facilities.

I think both the IOC and USOC would much rather have a Seattle bid. But the public in Seattle doesn't want the games either.

I don't think Portland would be horrible at hosting the winter games. Timberline is big enough for the alpine events and gets plenty of snow. But I can't see it getting enough private funding, surviving the referendum process, impressing the USOC or winning enough votes from the IOC.

Problems:

* Portland doesn't have a stadium for the ceremonies, and it's hard to find a use for the stadium after the games other than the MLS Portland Timbers who can't help with financing.

* The city has existing venues, but they are already being used in the winter. The Blazers aren't going to be happy about being forced to take a month-long road trip.

* Portland is not a major air transportation hub or a major tourist destination. Vancouver did a great job of hosting, but it is an air hub, cruise ship port and a bigger tourist destination overall.

* Oregon's major universities (Oregon and Oregon State) are not located in Portland, cutting off an obvious source of venues and training facilities.

I think both the IOC and USOC would much rather have a Seattle bid. But the public in Seattle doesn't want the games either.

No your wrong with that last bit. Salt Lake City or Anchorage would be ideal. Especially if the IOC want's to show the games can be cheap. SLC is proposing a $1 billion to $2 billion dollar budget, no American city can beat that.

No your wrong with that last bit. Salt Lake City or Anchorage would be ideal. Especially if the IOC want's to show the games can be cheap. SLC is proposing a $1 billion to $2 billion dollar budget, no American city can beat that.

I meant if they are going back to the Northwest they would prefer Seattle over Portland.

And Anchorage would be the opposite of cheap. Everything is more expensive in Alaska. Even lumber, amazingly.

I visited Portland for the first time last spring. Beautiful city and it would be a great backdrop for an Olympics. The problems though have more or less been summarized not to mention the environmental concerns that most in the Pacific Northwest are sensitive too.