Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370

Chinese satellite pictures of debris in the South China Sea are not connected to the missing Malaysian airliner, Malaysia's transport minister says.

Hishammuddin Hussein also denied a US report that Flight MH370 might have flown for hours after contact was lost.

Chinese state TV is still treating the pictures as relevant and says a warship is continuing to hunt for the debris.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Mr Hussein denied a report in the Wall Street Journal that the plane had sent engine data to the ground for more than four hours after it lost contact with air traffic control.

He said that his team had spoken to Malaysian Airlines and Rolls-Royce, the engine's manufacturers, who both said the report was "inaccurate".

In a separate press conference in Vietnam, an air traffic official said five ships and three aircraft had been sent on Thursday to the area indicated by the Chinese satellite images but had found nothing.

The BBC's Nga Pham in Vietnam says the official declined to answer a question on whether he was frustrated with Malaysia's communication and co-ordination, referring the matter to the foreign ministry.

He said Vietnam would continue to search for the plane on Friday.

_73555267_map.jpg

The plane succesfully landed in London, England and is hiding in Hyde Park. That's my theory.

The plane succesfully landed in London, England and is hiding in Hyde Park. That's my theory.

Someone would of spotted it by now.

Someone would of spotted it by now.

Or have seen it crash before it got halfway to London.

Or have seen it crash before it got halfway to London.

Exactly. Although I don't know if Victor Mata was joking or serious.

There is reason to believe the plane flew for four hours, the officials said, but there is no specific indication where the plane actually is.

This new information has now led to a decision to move the USS Kidd into the Indian Ocean to begin searching that area, the official said.

--CNN

i agree with the skeptics. i can't get behind this theory only because i can't wrap my head around why on earth the plane would be over the indian ocean. i couldn't begin to come up with something plausible.

Some of the nations that are covering the search areas are getting ready to leave now that there is no chance of survivors...And are becoming more fustrated with Malaysia's lethargic organization to deal with this tragedy.

There is no central focus point for information and cultural difference is starting to fustrate overseas officials...Malaysia has alwys been difficult in this respect.

Take heed, all you who see Kuala Lumpur as a future Olympic host.

That's like saying the US should never host again because of 9/11. The only problem is that Malaysia is a terrible nation to 'do business' with.

That's like saying the US should never host again because of 9/11. The only problem is that Malaysia is a terrible nation to 'do business' with.

Do you hear yourself? That is indeed the problem: Malaysia is a difficult nation to do business with. Why would the IOC get into bed with such an unreliable partner.

A plane can go down in any country. That's neither here nor there. The problem is how poorly the Malaysians have handled it. That's what is so revealing.

• Like 1

Do you hear yourself? That is indeed the problem: Malaysia is a difficult nation to do business with. Why would the IOC get into bed with such an unreliable partner.

A plane can go down in any country. That's neither here nor there. The problem is how poorly the Malaysians have handled it. That's what is so revealing.

It was still a bit harsh. The US changed to become safer Malaysia can change as well, may take a while but they could...I think were just saying the same thing right now.

I never really thought of KL as a suitable host for the Olympics (like some here have) even before all of this. It's a predominately Muslim nation, in a somewhat unstable region of the world. Not to mention that the weather during the Games-time window wouldn't be ideal.

I still believe that if/when the IOC is ready to play their Muslim card, they're gonna do it with Istanbul. KL seems like just a bigger version of all those other wanna-be Olympic hosts such as Baku, Doha & Almaty. More troublesome than compelling. We'll see though, how efficiently (or not) the Malaysian's handle the 2015 IOC session.

I never really thought of KL as a suitable host for the Olympics (like some here have) even before all of this. It's a predominately Muslim nation, in a somewhat unstable region of the world. Not to mention that the weather during the Games-time window wouldn't be ideal.

I still believe that if/when the IOC is ready to play their Muslim card, they're gonna do it with Istanbul. KL seems like just a bigger version of all those other wanna-be Olympic hosts such as Baku, Doha & Almaty. More troublesome than compelling. We'll see though, how efficiently (or not) the Malaysian's handle the 2015 IOC session.

100% agree.

• Like 1

It was still a bit harsh. The US changed to become safer Malaysia can change as well, may take a while but they could...I think were just saying the same thing right now.

You still don't get it. The issue isn't safety. It's lack of governmental transparency and cooperation.

KL wouldn't have been my first choice for a Muslim host either, but they are periodically mentioned on these boards as a potential host in the more distant future.

You still don't get it. The issue isn't safety. It's lack of governmental transparency and cooperation.

KL wouldn't have been my first choice for a Muslim host either, but they are periodically mentioned on these boards as a potential host in the more distant future.

I agree with you, but since when has governmental transparency mattered to the IOC?

It seems people forgot the 1998 Commonwealth Games on which they did a great job being the first Asian city to host it (unlike Delhi which screwed things up), so this situation is not enough to say they're not ready (also like Seth said, government transparency doesn't always matters to the IOC, just look at the blatant corruption in Sochi). I know Malaysia has handled this whole plane issue badly, but bad management of these kind of events can happen even in most developed countries.

• Like 2

I knew that someone was probably going to bring the 1998 CWG's. But that was just 3,600 athletes, with only 69 participating nations & only 15 sports. Not even in the same league as the Summer Olympic Games.

^^ It was still (and still is) a mass sport event which needed lots of logistic and planning, though. Bigger than both the Asian Games and the Pan Ams, and larger in number of sports compared to the WOG back then.

• Like 1

I knew that someone was probably going to bring the 1998 CWG's. But that was just 3,600 athletes, with only 69 participating nations & only 15 sports. Not even in the same league as the Summer Olympic Games.

But they built a 100,000 seater stadium, and other key venues of large capacity, as well as a brand new airport well over Olympic requirements and a rail system.

Although it's not in the same league, they clearly built for the legacy of potential future sporting events. Despite having like 90% of venues "existing" for the 2008 bid, that was clearly not enough. I think they'd be needing to host an Asian Games to prove themselves worthy of an Olympics.

^^ It was still (and still is) a mass sport event which needed lots of logistic and planning, though. Bigger than both the Asian Games and the Pan Ams, and larger in number of sports compared to the WOG back then.

The Asian Games are bigger then the Summer Olympics in terms of athletes and venues.

Not true. When KL hosted the 1998 CWG's, the Pan Ams & the Asian Games were bigger. The 1999 Winnipeg Pan Ams had over 5,000 athletes & more than twice as many sports. And we're talking about the Summer Olympics here, not the Winter Games.

And yes, it's about lots of logistics & planning. And at the Olympics, it's also a lot more than just the athletes & the sports, since the Olympics have a far greater worldwide following, you also have to account for the worldwide media & spectators that the CWG's just don't draw nearly as much.

Despite having like 90% of venues "existing" for the 2008 bid, that was clearly not enough. I think they'd be needing to host an Asian Games to prove themselves worthy of an Olympics.

Well, that's precisely the point. There were two other much stronger Asian bids for 2008, so KL just couldn't cut it in that type of field. And that could very well be the same if they tried again. It's not just about having "existing" venues in place.

CNN

Analysis shows two possible Indian Ocean paths for airliner

Washington (CNN) -- A classified analysis of electronic and satellite data suggests Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 likely crashed either in the Bay of Bengal or elsewhere in the Indian Ocean, CNN learned Friday.

The analysis conducted by the United States and Malaysian governments may have narrowed the search area for the commercial jetliner that vanished a week ago with 239 people on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, leaving little trace of where it went or why.

The analysis used radar data and satellite pings to calculate that the plane diverted to the west, across the Malayan peninsula, and then either flew in a northwest direction toward the Bay of Bengal or southwest into the Indian Ocean.

Watch the Video:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/14/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1