Norway's Parliament Lists Demands to IOC If Oslo 2022 Bid Is Approved

GBModerator

Now is this something I didn't expect. A list of demands (not at all unreasonable) for the IOC. So the ball is now back in the IOC's court and it can go either one of two ways. The IOC agrees to most if not all of Oslo requests and the bid goes forward or the IOC tells Oslo to take a hike and the bid ends. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Not good for Oslo.

"Newspaper Aftenposten reported that both government parties crafted the list of demands in a letter to Oslo 2022 including a stipulation that the IOC "family" should be required to pay for their own accommodations during the Games instead of having five-star hotel rooms provided by the organizing committee."

"They also asked for some control over the Olympic program so that no new events will be added to the 2022 Games, which they say have become too big and costly. The IOC routinely reviews the program and its members vote on the inclusion of new sports; sport federations also commonly add disciplines or styles."

This is the end of the Oslo Norway bid the IOC is not going to speed money staying at the Olympics Games which could be used for money for developing nations to develop sporting programs and trying to control the IOC at there own games is not good at all.

So it is now a race between Krakow Poland, Almaty Kazakhstan and Beijing China which I think that Beijing China will get the crown for the 2022 hosting rights.

Good news for Oslo organisers is that:

-IOC family pays for its rooms (bid committees are requested to obtain guaranteed rates but all Olympic Family constituents pay for their accommodation)

-maximising use of existing or temporary venues is something the IOC encourages

- it is up to the Norwegians to ensure good dialogue between Oslo bidders and Lillehammer 2016 organisers but it is already happening as a lot of the key players are the same.

-for Olympic Programme, once the sports have been selected (7 years in advance) the OCOG is part of the consultation process before adding any new events.

I know the image of the IOC is bad in Norway so that may not be enough to change the mood but the fact is that pretty much everything the parliament is requesting is already in place.

If what you are saying is true Pure Facts (which I assume it is because it is you), than this appears to be more a public relations thing wtihin Norway to try to encourage greater public support. It sounds a lot like the government telling its people that they can keep costs down, use existing legacy venues to mitigate costs (which Oslo is already planning on doing) and to not harm the environment in and around Oslo.

I think some federations would be unhappy with the 'no new events' thing, but I think the IOC and OSLOCOG could easily work out a plan to add new events that do not require new venues or additional athletes.

Well, if none of these aren't really that unrealistic &/or are already in place anyway, & f it is indeed a PR stunt for the citizens of Norway, who's to say that the IOC isn't already on board then. Maybe this is part of the behind the scenes dealings with Bach & Heiberg, since it's exactly no secret that the Norwegian public is so skeptical of the IOC. "Do what you must to 'convince' the public & we'll just play along. We can't lose you as a serious bidder".

Norway's parliament has good points, hopefully the IOC accepts them. Especially I liked the sentence "The athletes should be always at the centre of attention". Too often it feels like the Olympics are a massive PR show for the host country, not a celebration of sports.