I've been wondering for a while about the history of GamesBids. The sort of answers I want is, who was the first ever member. Who was the founder. Who was the first poster. Also, how comes GBModerator only joined in 2001, but this site has been here since 2000, where FYI and Thats not my puppies have joined in 2001?

I've been wondering for a while about the history of GamesBids. The sort of answers I want is, who was the first ever member. Who was the founder. Who was the first poster. Also, how comes GBModerator only joined in 2001, but this site has been here since 2000, where FYI and Thats not my puppies have joined in 2001?

The site actually was created for the 1996 bids and I believe the board followed in 2001.

The forums have been around since at least 2000, hence when I joined. But the website itself, IIRC, was established in 1998, when back then, the site was called Torontosummergames.com (which must be when that city was first talking about a 2008 bid) & had a much smaller discussion section (similar to a blog), but nothing in the scale that it is today. But sometime after the 2008 vote, I think it was somewhere around 2002, was when the site was renamed Gamesbids.com. The founder is Robert Livingstone. As far as those other questions, like first members/posters & so forth, only he could answer those.

If you go to the members button up the top (right underneath the GamesBids banner), you can then click on "search options" in the top right corner and list them by join date. Of the 20 "earliest" members listed, Jeremie, Guardian and Mattygs are the ones of those who are still around a bit.

Wow, looking at the list sure brings back memories! I AM, ETW, Vol, safrican & fiesty EP in LA for starters were all great members. Such a shame they're no longer around.

Ah yes, safrican was who I think I first had some heated debates with here - he insisted Paris had 2012 in the bag and there was no real point in debating the others' chances. I kept insisting London had a chance. Yeah, good poster - never nasty and fun to match wits with.

And Vol. Miss her heaps. She was the one who granted me my knighthood! :wub:

Ah yes, safrican was who I think I first had some heated debates with here - he insisted Paris had 2012 in the bag and there was no real point in debating the others' chances. I kept insisting London had a chance. Yeah, good poster - never nasty and fun to match wits with.

I don't recall that. But then again, around that time, I wasn't really on here that much & was taking a bit of a break from this place. Just like I apparently missed all those delusional Minneapolins touting their city all over these boards around that time, too.

But from what I remember, safrican was rather pragmatic, IIRC. I mean if we're going to discount certain people here simply bcuz we had a tift with them at some point, then that would discount the majority of the forumers here. I could see where some would have the view back then that 2012 was Paris' to lose. It's almost akin to the view that some had here before the negative Munich 2022 referendum, & they were already coronating them the winner.

I AM

lol. the guy with the ankh avatar? it could take a week to parse one of his posts. for all that over-florid prose he never had anything to say that couldn't be summed up in a line or two.

nobody misses I AM just like nobody misses afransen.

lol. the guy with the ankh avatar? it could take a week to parse one of his posts. for all that over-florid prose he never had anything to say that couldn't be summed up in a line or two.

nobody misses I AM just like nobody misses afransen.

See, now I thought that I AM was funny & insightful. But whatever. But you're absolutely right about afransen, though. Ugh, what a tool he was. Reminds me of the Canadian version of a certain American member, that coincidentally, their handle begins & ends with the same two letters & has the same number of syllables. In a way it's kinda disappointing, though, cuz I would've loved to see the two go at each other at some point. And it woulda happened knowing those two at opposite sides of the spectrum on Olympic views. Woild've been one of those gamesbids "rivalries" for sure lmfao.

I was looking through some of my old bits of Olympic geekery the other day and came across some print outs of the forums from the old Toronto Summer Games bids message board.

It was from around June 2000, general discussions about speculation of the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony, and the prospect of the Southern Hemisphere hosting a winter Games. 14 years on, and we still talk about the same things.

I too remember fondly of the times of Vol, Jonno in Sydney/Melbourne, and Jono (woohoo).

Looking at a few of the names that pop up in these discussions I printed out - Guardian, Expect the World, EP in LA, Tsar, James, Paul Anderson, Mallinson, Jonno in Sydney, and Philc7.

I miss Michelle...I think I loved her a little bit. Ferocious opinions with bags of intelligence and class. I loved it when she got drunk and e-sang the lyrics to Club Tropicana by Wham... :wub:

I was just searching around for old receipts and dockets before heading of to the accountant to do my tax return, when I came across an old scrap of paper with a site and log-in for some of the old comps we've done here (it was a compilation set up by Aaronaugi, who gave me the links to... well, do something or the other... while he was away). I logged the site which still has some old fantasy bid books (including the Christchurch one I did with NZOlympic) back in the day. Thought some of you may enjoy the links (and also identify who did the bid for Bucharest).

Christchurch 2018

Bucharest 2022

i'll never forgive tnmp for not saving the dubai 2018 bid book (which would have WON if he had just cheated for christchurch instead of dubai...).

i cannot for the life of me remember how we finagled an 800m drop from scratch and that kind of bugs me. i see christchurch was artificially altering a 650m drop. i guess that's a little more feasible than building a covered, artificially cooled "mountain" drop that is nearly 2 miles long. today, i suppose, we would have to retrofit the burj khalifa, which, fun fact, is over 800m tall.

• 3 weeks later...

No no - we were going to build a 5,000 foot mountain on an artificial island next to the Burj. The side facing Dubai was the mountain, the back was a hotel. And the lympic village was reclaimed islands shaped like the rings. Oh and we palmed the sled track off to Qatar.

And Princess - you could have saved a copy...

Archived