Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid

I disagree and I don't see any proof for your statement. The USOC wasn't TRYING to field a national bid for 2012 or 2016. Blackmun mentioned that needs to be an emphasis in the next bid.

Until you've got a poll saying Americans don't want the Games back in the US, stop making arguments you can't support.

Well if Blackmun want's their to be national support for 2024 I wish the Candidate city good luck!

There's a segment of the US population that is anti-globalist to begin with... overlapping strongly with the beer guzzling, soccer-hating sports fan. Their natural anti-Olympic feelings were turbo-charged when Obama become associated with the Chicago bid. These are the folks cheering when Chicago came in last. If we can ignore discussion of the actual politics, they are a reality any USOC bid has to deal with... as well as the US political system which gives great power to minority parties to block legislation.

How does a US bid get past them and get the necessary government support

- Wait for a POTUS from the pro-global-business wing of the Reupican party to push for a bid.

- Put the bid is solid red-state country (which is why I think Dallas is a much more viable candidate than, say, Philly.)

- Put the bid in solid blue-state country, which can mostly fully fund.

There's a segment of the US population that is anti-globalist to begin with... overlapping strongly with the beer guzzling, soccer-hating sports fan. Their natural anti-Olympic feelings were turbo-charged when Obama become associated with the Chicago bid. These are the folks cheering when Chicago came in last. If we can ignore discussion of the actual politics, they are a reality any USOC bid has to deal with... as well as the US political system which gives great power to minority parties to block legislation.

- Wait for a POTUS from the pro-global-business wing of the Reupican party to push for a bid.

- Put the bid is solid red-state country (which is why I think Dallas is a much more viable candidate than, say, Philly.)

I guess if Romney started working hard with Boston or Dallas then all of those are accomplished, the problem is both cities are not viable candidates.

OMG, can we please stop talking about durban and paris. La is still just one of the bids for USOC. until ls gets Applicant city status, then we can talk about the other countries.

Get over it. Bringing up Paris & Durban is definitely part of the equation that an L.A. could face. Besides, it's not a given that L.A. & the USOC will be bid either.

*an L.A. 'bid' could face.

*..USOC will bid either.

There's a segment of the US population that is anti-globalist to begin with... overlapping strongly with the beer guzzling, soccer-hating sports fan.

- Put the bid is solid red-state country (which is why I think Dallas is a much more viable candidate than, say, Philly.).

Not really. A Dallas bid would still alienate the other half of the country that's not a "beer-guzzling, soccer-hating" sports fan. Any U.S. bid would still have a hard time having the entire country be behind, no matter what. An Olympics in the U.S. would always be a "regional" Games at best.

I guess if Romney started working hard with Boston or Dallas then all of those are accomplished, the problem is both cities are not viable candidates.

Both cites are "technically" viable. The problem is, that they both aren't necessarily viable in the international campaign of any bidding campaign, especially Dallas.

Are there still people around wanting to work with Romney?? Doubt he'd be the figure to create a nationally supported bid.

Are there still people around wanting to work with Romney?? Doubt he'd be the figure to create a nationally supported bid.

Yes, Boston Dallas and Sab Diego want him but I'm pretty sure that he went wth Boston. And I agree, he would not the the nation on board.

Yea, can't forget how much power beer guzzling sports fans have.

As much as there is a sentiment from some people that they don't want the Olympics in their region, most Americans probably couldn't care less if it's someone else's region. Pretty confident most people outside of Chicago weren't overly concerned about the result of that vote and if there were people against the bid because of Obama, chances are it was because of them being anti-Obama moreso than being anti-Olympics.

Yes, Boston Dallas and Sab Diego want him but I'm pretty sure that he went wth Boston. And I agree, he would not the the nation on board.

Well considering his popularity has recently gone up he could get the conservatives behind him. Then given his previous ties to the IOC he could be very vital to any national bid.

Well considering his popularity has recently gone up he could get the conservatives behind him. Then given his previous ties to the IOC he could be very vital to any national bid.

I bet he has binders full of connections! :D

• Like 3

Romney would be an asset to any bid.

His politics are irrelevant. His experience is invaluable.

I agree. I don't think the IOC really cares much what his politics are, only that he came in, cleaned up the SLC scandal and delivered a really good Olympic Games just five months after the worst terrorist attacks the world has experienced. I'd think any bid that has him working with them probably goes up in the estimation of the IOC and only helps when it comes time for the final selection.

I don't think the initial mention of Romney was how he would be perceived within the IOC, but how he could get a U.S. bid to be a truly "national" effort. Which I don't see him being able to accomplish, & quite frankly, I don't see who could.

I don't think the initial mention of Romney was how he would be perceived within the IOC, but how he could get a U.S. bid to be a truly "national" effort. Which I don't see him being able to accomplish, & quite frankly, I don't see who could.

I knew you'd be back: 04-george-w-bush-2.jpg

JK

I agree. I don't think the IOC really cares much what his politics are, only that he came in, cleaned up the SLC scandal and delivered a really good Olympic Games just five months after the worst terrorist attacks the world has experienced. I'd think any bid that has him working with them probably goes up in the estimation of the IOC and only helps when it comes time for the final selection.

Romney was only brought in because he was #1, a prominent Mormon; and #2 - he's got a good financial record. But he had nothing whatsoever to do with bringing the Games to Salt Lake after 2 tries. And whether WTC-9/11 happened or not, the SLC Games would've happened anyway. It's NOT like the main Mormon Temple was the victim of the terrorist attack, was it?? You make it sound like Romney was the Savior. NO SUCH thing. Any competent Peter Ueberroth-type could've done the same thing.

And whether WTC-9/11 happened or not, the SLC Games would've happened anyway. It's NOT like the main Mormon Temple was the victim of the terrorist attack, was it?? You make it sound like Romney was the Savior. NO SUCH thing. Any competent Peter Ueberroth-type could've done the same thing.

Romney was able to convince Congress to bail out the games. Without that infustion of Federal money, Salt Lake 2002 wouldn't have happened. "Just anyone" couldn't have done that. In particular, given the way politics work in the US these days, only a Republican is going to be able to get Federal money for a US games.

Well, it can't be truly national because the US is just too big. But it can be more national than previous attempts. Plus, it can be dressed up to appear more national. I don't see that as one man's job. That's the work of a PR and marketing machine that has to include the USOC and bid committee.

Well, it can't be truly national because the US is just too big. But it can be more national than previous attempts. Plus, it can be dressed up to appear more national. I don't see that as one man's job. That's the work of a PR and marketing machine that has to include the USOC and bid committee.

I agree. Seems like in the past, the onus has been on the organizing committee to do most of the leg work and the USOC hasn't been as front and center. They need to work together better and hopefully this new process of vetting out a candidate city is what leads to that happening

There's a segment of the US population that is anti-globalist to begin with... overlapping strongly with the beer guzzling, soccer-hating sports fan.

It's not just that. There is plenty of leftist opposition to the IOC as well. In Europe as well as the United States.

The difficulty is finding a way of doing this that isn't nationalistic. Both the foreign population and a segment of the domestic population are going to find it distasteful to use the games as a flag-waving spectacle instead of putting the focus on the athletes.

I really liked the way London did this in 2012 (British celebrities, icons of London, and England's culture instead of national symbols), so Los Angeles might actually be a good choice in that regard as the pop culture center of America.

It's not just that. There is plenty of leftist opposition to the IOC as well. In Europe as well as the United States.

The difficulty is finding a way of doing this that isn't nationalistic. Both the foreign population and a segment of the domestic population are going to find it distasteful to use the games as a flag-waving spectacle instead of putting the focus on the athletes.

I really liked the way London did this in 2012 (British celebrities, icons of London, and England's culture instead of national symbols), so Los Angeles might actually be a good choice in that regard as the pop culture center of America.

I believe the type of "national bid" that the IOC wants to see is a bid that has support across the entire country. They want to know that Americans from Maine, to Florida, to Washington, to Texas, to California are all excited about the Olympics. It's more about showing cheering Americans with the Olympic rings than it is about showing cheering Americans with the American flag.

• Like 1

I believe the type of "national bid" that the IOC wants to see is a bid that has support across the entire country. They want to know that Americans from Maine, to Florida, to Washington, to Texas, to California are all excited about the Olympics. It's more about showing cheering Americans with the Olympic rings than it is about showing cheering Americans with the American flag.

Yes, but how do you get those Americans excited about the games? In the UK it wasn't just politicians and athletes. I remember a number of episodes of British TV series about the games coming to the UK. Admittedly that was after they already won the race. But if you can get American celebrities and pop culture hyping the games rather than just the president, mayor of the host city, etc I think that would have a much bigger connection with the public.

Yes, but how do you get those Americans excited about the games? In the UK it wasn't just politicians and athletes. I remember a number of episodes of British TV series about the games coming to the UK. Admittedly that was after they already won the race. But if you can get American celebrities and pop culture hyping the games rather than just the president, mayor of the host city, etc I think that would have a much bigger connection with the public.

So you answered your own question. It's a bit early for all that though.