Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. If we wait, our time will come and when it comes I pray we have a city better than LA to offer the IOC.

I personally have nothing against Los Angeles hosting again. The objection is to the plan for venues, logistics and overall legacy rather than the city itself.

The argument in favor of Los Angeles is that you can host the games relatively cheaply there using a lot of existing stadia. However there is no legacy: no public spaces or institutions, no economic redevelopment, no legacy of training facilities for athletes, no establishment of a new tourism base- everybody already knows LA. It will be cheaper there than somewhere like Baltimore or Philadelphia, but it will still cost the city, state and federal govt's a ton of money. (Although I'm sure the games would at least break even on operations costs, that doesn't cover the other costs.) A Los Angeles Olympics amounts to wasting billions on a three week party with no legacy left afterwards and no new face of the United States shown to the world.

The current Governor of California Jerry Brown was the Governor for the most of the lead up for the Los Angeles 1984 Games he was the Governor from 1975 to 1983 after Ronald Reagan has been the Governor of California again after Arnold Schwarzenegger 2011 - current he is currently running for re-election this year and looks like to be re-elected,

His leadership for the 1984 games is what saved the Olympics movement the city saved the Olympics Movement two times in 1932 and 1984 with out LA there would be no Olympics Games today Los Angeles is the 3rd richest city in the world and the entertainment capital of the world, The new Italian Prime Minster is anti Olympics Bid, Berlin is unclear if they will bid for the 2024 games and Paris is the same as well, South Africa is not ready for an Olympics Games so Los Angeles USA is shaping up to be the clear frontrunner to host the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Well, that's 2024 settled then. Let's move on to 2028.

How will the handover segment from LA to Almaty, the first city hosting Winter AND Summer Games, and even within six years, look like?

(End of sarcasm)

Well, that's 2024 settled then. Let's move on to 2028.

How will the handover segment from LA to Almaty, the first city hosting Winter AND Summer Games, and even within six years, look like?

(End of sarcasm)

LOL

But yes, unless a big dramatic turn, I think another LA Olympics will wait more.

Speaking as an American here.. we are not dying for an Olympics. For f**k's sake, it's only been 12 years since we last had one. Only 18 years (I know that's longer than some posters here have been alive) since we had a Summer Olympics. It would be nice if we got another one at some point in the not-too-distant future. But given our frequency of hosting from 1980-2002 and the somewhat dumb luck that put 1996 in this country, I'm okay with us waiting for at least a couple of other countries that have gone longer without an Olympics than us to get one first. Our time for an Olympics will come, and as much as it might suck to think that time might not be for another 20-25 years, so be it if that's the case.

Well some people have been saying that Rome should get 2024 but they hosted in 2006, so that gives America the advantage over Rome.

Well some people have been saying that Rome should get 2024 but they hosted in 2006, so that gives America the advantage over Rome.

Turin hosted 2006, not Rome.

Oh sorry I meant to say Italy

No problem. But if people are really going to judge Bids on how recently the COUNTRY Hosted, then America hosted 12 years ago (22 years by 2024), Italy 8 years ago (18 years by 2024), France 22 Years ago (32 years by 2024).

One factor in the equation is the IOC wants to go to new places. But there are many reasons the US has hosted many times, but places like South Africa or Bermuda have never hosted.

Los Angeles has a ton of positives... it's an amazing city that is perfect for hosting... other than the fact that it has hosted twice before.

One factor in the equation is the IOC wants to go to new places. But there are many reasons the US has hosted many times, but places like South Africa or Bermuda have never hosted.

Los Angeles has a ton of positives... it's an amazing city that is perfect for hosting... other than the fact that it has hosted twice before.

Really? How can you even put South Africa and Bermuda in the same sentence with why they have never Hosted? South Africa is Africa's best chance of Hosting, and Bermuda would never Host.

Oh sorry I meant to say Italy

Okay, so it's a difference of 4 years between the United States and Italy the last time they hosted an Olympics. For the United States, the previous Summer hosting will have been 28 years earlier. For Rome, it's 64 years. No comparison, particularly if we're talking about Los Angeles, which themselves will have hosted only 40 years prior. Even if Rome isn't it, you still potentially have Paris, a South African city, maybe Berlin in the mix. All of which can make a better claim that they're "dying for an Olympics" than the United States.

Really? How can you even put South Africa and Bermuda in the same sentence with why they have never Hosted? South Africa is Africa's best chance of Hosting, and Bermuda would never Host.

Pretty sure he was being facetious there.

Precisely why you can't take posts from that certain individual seriously, ever. I mean really! That's not even funny, but a sad comparison. Heck, that's not even a "comparison". :-/

The primary reason both have not hosted is a lack of resources and infrastructure. Yes, South Africa is closer. But Durban is still light years behind LA.

Pretty sure he was being facetious there.

It's not even funny, though. What's the point of it in this conversation. But leave it up to you to come to your LUV's defense. :-P

It's not even funny, though. What's the point of it in this conversation. But leave it up to you to come to your LUV's defense. :-P

My what now? Speaking of posts that don't add to the conversation here.

(Get ready folks, I sense a derailment in this thread's future)

"The primary reason both have not hosted is a lack of resources and infrastructure. Yes, South Africa is closer. But Durban is still light years behind LA."

It's a total joke of a comparison, nonetheless. Bermuda can never host the Olympics, South Africa can. The parallels you're trying to make are completely asinine! Durban is not "light years" behind L.A. Durban already has the all-important Olympic stadium & the sport precinct to house other venues. What does Bermuda have, besides being a tiny island out in the middle of the Atlantic. :rolleyes:

See Quaker, he wasn't being "facetious". Your darling was being totally serious! :rolleyes:

My what now? Speaking of posts that don't add to the conversation here.

(Get ready folks, I sense a derailment in this thread's future)

Right, & you're just adding to it with this one^. So don't act so innocent as if you've never been guilty of it yourself. You're so being AF-ish here. :rolleyes:

And, besides, it all started by bringing in silly Bermuda into the question by your 'favorite' over there. As you can now plainly see, & is always been the case with this individual. It's totally ludicrous.

Dude - I normally try the post you make about me (it's a board about the Olympics, not about me)... but today is a bit over the top, don't you think? You've got a hard-on for me. I get that. Can I just send you a box of used underwear for you to sniff?

This is a thread on Los Angeles. The comparison is to Los Angeles, not between Bermuda and South Africa. Tony couldn't understand that, and you choose to not understand it to give you an excuse to change the subject to me.

See Quaker, he wasn't being "facetious". Your darling was being totally serious! :rolleyes:

Right, & you're just adding to it with this one^. So don't act so innocent as if you've never been guilty of it yourself. You're so being AF-ish here. :rolleyes:

And, besides, it all started by bringing in silly Bermuda into the question by your 'favorite' over there. As you can now plainly see, & is always been the case with this individual. It's totally ludicrous.

fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/
adjective
  1. 1.
    treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

So yea, "facetious" seems to be the correct word to describe his post, pointless a contribution as it was. And for you to, not once, not twice, but 3 times invoke another poster's name to take a backhanded slap at someone while trying to insult someone else.. that is extremely FYI of you. We're all guilty here, my fellow Bobbsey twin. Seriously, what is it about this forum that compels you, me, and so many other people to snap at each other like this for no good reason?

Alright, let's get this back on topic.. to Nacre's point, here's the line to LA's 2016 bid book... http://www.sccog.org/webapp/news/59-los-angeles-2016-olympic-bid-book-now-available-for-viewing

If the issue is how to make this plan better to work for a 2024 bid and beyond, what could be done to improve it?

The primary reason both have not hosted is a lack of resources and infrastructure. Yes, South Africa is closer. But Durban is still light years behind LA.

How is Durban light years behind LA? Durban has 'Africa has never hosted an Olympics before' to back them up. The IOC wants to go to new CONTINENTS. North America's next Summer Host will be Toronto in my opinion.

Some of the posters on this thread are so entitled it's unbelievable.

Dude - I normally try the post you make about me (it's a board about the Olympics, not about me)... but today is a bit over the top, don't you think? You've got a hard-on for me. I get that. Can I just send you a box of used underwear for you to sniff?

This is a thread on Los Angeles. The comparison is to Los Angeles, not between Bermuda and South Africa. Tony couldn't understand that, and you choose to not understand it to give you an excuse to change the subject to me.

No, I don't need/want those. But apparently Q over there seems to have a 'hard-on' for your box of used panties. So send them his way instead! :lol:

And yes, this thread is about L.A., but of course at some point, & which is understandable, it's going to verve-off a bit of who is likely to be L.A. competition if they bid. So of course some people here are going to mention France, Italy & South Africa for example, & which they have here. Then you come in with Bermuda, & being serious about it.

Sorry, but how does Bermuda equate into all this, "facetiously" or not. It doesn't. Simply bcuz they both have never gotten to host an Olympics doesn't make them "equal" in any way whatsoever. That "comparison" is just as bad as the one who made the Antarctica one. Silly!

How is Durban light years behind LA? Durban has 'Africa has never hosted an Olympics before' to back them up. The IOC wants to go to new CONTINENTS. North America's next Summer Host will be Toronto in my opinion.

Durban is light years behind LA in "resources and infrastructure"

Durban is light years behind LA in "resources and infrastructure"

That means nothing when Rio has nearly built from scratch. Maracana needed a major renovation, Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre needs a renovation, and they have 1 Arena. They had poor infrastructure before the decision in 2009. LA has hosted in 1984. Give Durban a chance.

• Like 1