Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid

GBModerator

Venue Plans are important, but doesn't mean your going to win. Like stated, here in London, we have the transport infrastructure, so spreading out our venues is not a problem.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can if it's compact. But if it takes athletes over 45 mins (not counting soccer venues) then it weakens the bid.

Try telling that to all the 2016 bid city losers, who's bids were the most compact compared to Rio's 4-cluster spread-out concept that in many cases was/is 45min between some of the venues. A "compact" plan doesn't make or brake a bid. As long as it's within reason, (& as has mentioned here many times before) & a bid is on the short-list, all the technical factors then take a backseat, & then the campaign becomes about the emotive appeal & narrative. A 'compact' L.A. 2024 bid isn't going to make that much of a difference if it's up against the strong likes of Paris, Rome & South Africa.

Compact venue plans are vastly over-rated.

If anything, I prefer a games that, within reason, touches a wider city. A Sydney or Vancouver or London, more than the Sochi "bubble". I think you need a fine balance with having a central Olympic Park hub, but a lot of the magic of the games is also bringing it to the wider city.

And I think that Rio 2016 is going to provide the 'wider city' angle as well.

For an LA bid it is. They need a compact bid otherwise it would just look like 1984 all over again despite new venues built since then.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but unless L.A. is only up against bids from Baku & Doha, a "compact" L.A. plan isn't going to make that much of a difference, IMHO. It's gonna need much more than that. There's yet a bid to be won mainly due to it's 'compactness' of venues.

Venue and transportation plans won't be *the* deciding factor. But they are inportation. And they are fun to talk about.

For instance... the area in/around StubHub Center is presumably going to be a key venue cluster in any LA 2024 plan. How do you get people there? A typical Olympic plan would direct people to the nearest light rail station, then run busses to the venue cluster. The nearest light rail station is in Compton, an area of LA I doubt the organizers will want to highlight. Somehow I don't see N.W.A performing the opening ceremony.

Not saying this is a deal breaker of anything. Just that it's going to be interesting to see what the LA organizers come up with.

Venue and transportation plans won't be *the* deciding factor. But they are inportation. And they are fun to talk about.

For instance... the area in/around StubHub Center....

Wow, that's one of the worst examples of Naming Rights I've heard!

Wow, that's one of the worst examples of Naming Rights I've heard!

My current favorite - and to put an Olympic hook here - is "EnergySoultions Arena" in Salt Lake (i.e. the Salt Lake Ice Center from 2002). Energy Solutions is - and I'm not making this up - a nuclear waste removal company. Are there people out there who were thinking of using some other nuclear waste disposal company, but switched to EnertySolutions because of the arena name?

Note that Energy Solutions' parent company is the proud sponsor of the Waste Management Phoenix Open golf tournament.

Los Angeles might be the best for the U.S. but even L.A. would face an uphill battle in 2024 and if Durban and Paris are in then the city and USOC need to save their money and pass on 2024 altogether. A better choice for L.A. would be to use 2028 as a warm-up bid (the loser of 2024, either Durban or Paris, is practically a shoe in for 2028) then make a big push for 2032, the time when the IOC will be looking to come back to the Americas and it will be 100 years since the 1932 Olympics.

I belive that Los Angeles USA got something which will outdo Paris France, Rome Italy and Berlin Germany is the heart of most IOC members lots of IOC members were growing up at the time of the Los Angeles 1984 games, Los Angeles is the home of Hollywood where most of the movies were made when most IOC members were growing up, If it comes to the 3rd time host out of Paris France and Los Angeles USA.

I think that Los Angeles USA will take 2024 and later on Paris France will host the 2044 games for the 150th birthday where the modern Olympics Games movement begun in Paris France in 1894 at the 1st IOC Congress and Session.

I think that Los Angeles USA will take 2024 and later on Paris France will host the 2044 games for the 150th birthday where the modern Olympics Games movement begun in Paris France in 1894 at the 1st IOC Congress and Session.

Nothing better than planning ahead...the French would sure love that proposal and would happily want to sit out 20 more years to get that gold-glittery jubilee show.

Speaking as an American here.. we are not dying for an Olympics. For f**k's sake, it's only been 12 years since we last had one. Only 18 years (I know that's longer than some posters here have been alive) since we had a Summer Olympics. It would be nice if we got another one at some point in the not-too-distant future. But given our frequency of hosting from 1980-2002 and the somewhat dumb luck that put 1996 in this country, I'm okay with us waiting for at least a couple of other countries that have gone longer without an Olympics than us to get one first. Our time for an Olympics will come, and as much as it might suck to think that time might not be for another 20-25 years, so be it if that's the case.

Actually, 4 years ago -- I am sure 40 - 45% of the crowds who helped make Vancouver an overwhelming success were from...ahem...right across the border! I mean there are some die-hard Canuck Olympic fans on this board (from back East) who didn't even go to Vancouver and support it, so....

And LA is turning the screws hard because they are hosting the Special Olympics next summer, so while they're in the spotlight...might as well make hay.

I belive that Los Angeles USA got something which will outdo Paris France, Rome Italy and Berlin Germany is the heart of most IOC members lots of IOC members were growing up at the time of the Los Angeles 1984 games, Los Angeles is the home of Hollywood where most of the movies were made when most IOC members were growing up, If it comes to the 3rd time host out of Paris France and Los Angeles USA.

I can understand your support from L.A. but seriously this sounds too pressed.

Still coming from you and your other "supositions" is not surprising.

I really hoped this wouldn't happen. Outside of LA residents does anyone want to see another Los Angeles Olympics? I think the majority of Americans would rather have the games in Paris or Rome.

I'm not American but I'd like to see the Olympics in L.A. I think 2024 would be a high time for the USA to have the games, and the two cities I think first about the USA are N.Y. and L.A., and as the N.Y. 2012 bid ended up in a failure, I think L.A. would be a better host city. Also, L.A. has my favourite Olympic Stadium.

I'm not American but I'd like to see the Olympics in L.A. I think 2024 would be a high time for the USA to have the games, and the two cities I think first about the USA are N.Y. and L.A., and as the N.Y. 2012 bid ended up in a failure, I think L.A. would be a better host city. Also, L.A. has my favourite Olympic Stadium.

No offense, but it does not matter if you want the games in LA , just lie it does not matter if I want the games in Berlin. The US decides if they want the games and the past two bidding cycles have shown the US really does not want them.

No offense, but it does not matter if you want the games in LA , just lie it does not matter if I want the games in Berlin. The US decides if they want the games and the past two bidding cycles have shown the US really does not want them.

I don't see it that way. The USOC definitely wants another Olympics, but what the past 2 bidding cycles have shown is that they're exercising some discretion in order to get an Olympics and not just bidding in every single cycle waiting for it to happen. That was their old strategy and to be fair, it worked in 1990 when Atlanta fell into their laps just a few years after LA `84. We saw what happened with New York and Chicago.. the USOC put them forward in what were probably ill-timed bids and both cities have shown no serious interest since then. So you can't really fault the USOC for taking a much needed step back to re-evaluate their process and determine the best course of action for them. It certainly doesn't mean the US as a whole doesn't want them.

What I wanted to say was that it's not only L.A. residents wanting the games.

And Quaker2001 answered well to your last sentence.

How do you figure?

The USOC obviously wants the games. They sat out 2020 because it would've been foolish to bid again so soon after all the problems that were exposed during the 2016 bid. They sat out 2022 because they'd prefer Summer Games to Winter Games. Neither of those decisions indicates a lack of desire to host.

Obviously the USOC would like to bid for 2024 and they've got more potential candidates interested than any other country in the world. Chicago and New York may not be interested (understandable), but that doesn't mean the whole country feels the same way.

Whether or not it's wise to bid for 2024 is another question. But I see no evidence to support the idea that the US doesn't want the Games. Quite to the contrary.

How do you figure?

The USOC obviously wants the games. They sat out 2020 because it would've been foolish to bid again so soon after all the problems that were exposed during the 2016 bid. They sat out 2022 because they'd prefer Summer Games to Winter Games. Neither of those decisions indicates a lack of desire to host.

Obviously the USOC would like to bid for 2024 and they've got more potential candidates interested than any other country in the world. Chicago and New York may not be interested (understandable), but that doesn't mean the whole country feels the same way.

Whether or not it's wise to bid for 2024 is another question. But I see no evidence to support the idea that the US doesn't want the Games. Quite to the contrary.

I'm not talking about the USOC, I'm talking about the American public. We are not dying to have the games and our past bids have lacked strong national support because of it. Hell when Chicago lost people around the nation were happy. There are certainly people who want the games here, but I believe we still need to wait until 2032, No sense in turning more people off with another failed bid (not saying LA or what-ever city they put up would fail, but if there is a strong South Africa bid and many strong European bids it practically guaranteed to happen.)

I'm not talking about the USOC, I'm talking about the American public. We are not dying to have the games and our past bids have lacked strong national support because of it. Hell when Chicago lost people around the nation were happy. There are certainly people who want the games here, but I believe we still need to wait until 2032, No sense in turning more people off with another failed bid (not saying LA or what-ever city they put up would fail, but if there is a strong South Africa bid and many strong European bids it practically guaranteed to happen.)

So now your speaking in behalf of 300 million people

Again though, why should the American public by 'dying' to have an Olympics when we're only 12 years removed from our last one and 18 years removed from having both a Summer and a Winter? Contrast that to a country like France where they'll hit 100 years since their last Summer Olympics or a Germany which is going on 50+ years, although they did just have themselves a World Cup.

IMO, the issue over a lack of support (and the United States is hardly the only country where this is happening) is more a matter of economcis than it is a lack of desire to host an Olympics. That's what I think we're seeing in the United States.. a lack of desire to take on that burden to host an Olympics because cities and countries look at a China or Russia and don't want to shoulder than responsibility. And yea, there is certainly an element of entitlement that we saw with NYC and Chicago when those 2 cities lost.

Again though, why should the American public by 'dying' to have an Olympics when we're only 12 years removed from our last one and 18 years removed from having both a Summer and a Winter? Contrast that to a country like France where they'll hit 100 years since their last Summer Olympics or a Germany which is going on 50+ years, although they did just have themselves a World Cup.

IMO, the issue over a lack of support (and the United States is hardly the only country where this is happening) is more a matter of economcis than it is a lack of desire to host an Olympics. That's what I think we're seeing in the United States.. a lack of desire to take on that burden to host an Olympics because cities and countries look at a China or Russia and don't want to shoulder than responsibility. And yea, there is certainly an element of entitlement that we saw with NYC and Chicago when those 2 cities lost.

Exactly my point. Were not dying to have the games and most Americans would not want to foot the bill in this economy.

Exactly my point. Were not dying to have the games and most Americans would not want to foot the bill in this economy.

Who is dying to have the Games then? What people in what country are "dying" to have the Olympics? I know what you're getting at, but it's not like the Olympics get awarded to the country whose people want them the most.

And good to see you're an expert on "most Americans." The thing is.. most Americans wouldn't foot the bill for a U.S.-hosted Olympics. That distinction likely falls on the local and state government. So yes, in that regard many folks probably have taken a NIMBY approach to hosting an Olympics, but in the general sense, that's not as accurate as you probably want to make it seem.

I disagree and I don't see any proof for your statement. The USOC wasn't TRYING to field a national bid for 2012 or 2016. Blackmun mentioned that needs to be an emphasis in the next bid.

Until you've got a poll saying Americans don't want the Games back in the US, stop making arguments you can't support.

Archived