Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid

GBModerator

Alright, let's discuss these here. Yes, wealthy individuals live in Southern California. Individuals don't foot the bill for an Olympics though. Corporations and the state and federal government handle that. LA and California have wealthy individuals, corporations and governments. California is just climbing out of a major budget crisis that left the state in a huge amount of debt irst, don't confuse wealth with fiscal management. The state has always vastly wealthly, it just mismanaged things for a while. But at the moment, their finances are in order, they are paying off debt and building rainy day funds. and scared off more than a few residents and businesses because of the high tax rates More Americans choose to live in California than in any other state. The state had it's highest growth rate is years. Yeah, some people left. Hope the door didn't hit them on the ass. .Obviously a lot can change in a few years, but let's not paint a picture of California that they have a huge surplus of cash they're sitting on that they could easily spend on an Olympics.

Largest mass transit system in the US? I assume your United States then doesn't include New York? Just double checked. It's largest by area covered. Third in the more important "number of users" category. Especially having taken 2 forms of transportation in the NYC area this morning, pretty sure LA can't quite make that claim. And I'm not all that familiar with LA's transit system, but does that mass transit cover the venues proposed in an LA bid? Almost all of the LA area is served by a fast public bus network. Many (but not all) of the likely sites, including the key areas around USC / The Collessium have good metro access.

And yes, the football stadium. How's that project pushing along so far? The thing about a football stadium is that it's not going to get built until, you know, there's a football team to occupy it. A football team that will play 10 times a year there and potentially attract other events. And probably will not have provisions for a 400-meter track, so I don't know call a project like that something that works in favor of an Olympic bid. The point was to show their capacity for spending of sports. And all the propoals I've seen pay at least lip service to making sure they are useful for the Olympics.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In LA? Oh, please! There ain't no games where the monster seismic faults are! And today's venues need to have a Russia-sized cliché when it comes to visual appeal. And yet, I still vote for a big fat NO, to the Olympics in the US.

When the last corporation on Earth dies, then there ain't no "stimuli" to convince the US to invade & conquer every country on the planet, even the ones undiscovered to humans.

If I'm being honest, I can't see America getting a SUMMER Olympics until New York City or Chicago put themselves forward, but seeing as though them two don't want the Games at the moment, Los Angeles is America's strongest Candidate IMHO.

If I'm being honest, I can't see America getting a SUMMER Olympics until New York City or Chicago put themselves forward, but seeing as though them two don't want the Games at the moment, Los Angeles is America's strongest Candidate IMHO.

I agree, I mean if Los Angeles can put the olympic stadium where farmers field is proposed and build a olympic village and some venues around the LA river then they will be hard to beat.

I agree, I mean if Los Angeles can put the olympic stadium where farmers field is proposed and build a olympic village and some venues around the LA river then they will be hard to beat.

Great, we have another venue plan nut. Welcome to the forums!

I don't know how many times it has been stressed here that cities do not win because of their venue plan.

Great, we have another venue plan nut. Welcome to the forums!

I don't know how many times it has been stressed here that cities do not win because of their venue plan.

Oh please.. that's not even a venue plan. It's a very vague concept that maybe could lead to some type of venue plan.

So tell us Usa2024.. if Farmers Field doesn't get built where it's proposed, do you honestly think the city of Los Angeles is going to use prime real estate in the heart of downtown for an Olympic Stadium. In other words, if they don't think that site is suitable for a large scale stadium, the solution is to put.. a large scale stadium there?

And yes, the Olympic village.. where do you think they should put that? Ditto for these venues along the LA river.

Those are some massive IFs there. And I don't see all that coming together for a bid.

Oh please.. that's not even a venue plan. It's a very vague concept that maybe could lead to some type of venue plan.

So tell us Usa2024.. if Farmers Field doesn't get built where it's proposed, do you honestly think the city of Los Angeles is going to use prime real estate in the heart of downtown for an Olympic Stadium. In other words, if they don't think that site is suitable for a large scale stadium, the solution is to put.. a large scale stadium there?

And yes, the Olympic village.. where do you think they should put that? Ditto for these venues along the LA river.

Those are some massive IFs there. And I don't see all that coming together for a bid.

Calm down okay, it was just a suggestion and if they don't build farmers field then a renovation of the la collisium is possible.

@Usa2024olympics

While all that does certainly contribute to a strong bid, timing, narrative, the right infrastructure (something established already, not something to be added for the games EX: Atlanta 1996 VS Athens 1996) and strong support. A lot more than a compact plan.

Tell that one to our venue plan guru, Lord David. According to him, a "superior" venue plan is everything! :-P

For an LA bid it is. They need a compact bid otherwise it would just look like 1984 all over again despite new venues built since then.

Compact venue plans are vastly over-rated.

If anything, I prefer a games that, within reason, touches a wider city. A Sydney or Vancouver or London, more than the Sochi "bubble". I think you need a fine balance with having a central Olympic Park hub, but a lot of the magic of the games is also bringing it to the wider city.

If anything, I prefer a games that, within reason, touches a wider city. A Sydney or Vancouver or London, more than the Sochi "bubble". I think you need a fine balance with having a central Olympic Park hub, but a lot of the magic of the games is also bringing it to the wider city.

It's the best way to spread the benefits. You have a central location with a good majority of venues then spread the rest around the city. Seems like the former British Empire (common-wealth and UK) are the only modern nations that have that styled venue plan down pat.

Agreed. To me, compact is less important than accessible. If you have a city like London with excellent mass transit, so long as all the venues are simple enough to get to, who cares if everything isn't tightly packed together.

So it is with Los Angeles. How compact the bid is will probably be less important than how accessible all of the venues are for visitors from around the world that may not be so keen on renting cars like so many tourists to LA do.

But for the case of LA, the 1984 Games used venues throughout Southern California to save money. Any real attempt by LA (if they are selected of course) should ideally be more compact in this case, shifting away from the Games of 1984 which used such venues throughout Southern California because of necessity.

There is a lot of room between trying to cram everything in one Olympic village and having venues in multiple counties. Too much in one central location hurts the chances of the venues being sustainable in the long run, but having to drive an hour and a half to get between venues is also really bad. Obviously exceptions can be made for a few sports like rowing, sailing and canoe/kayak, but I think everything else ought to be in Los Angeles county if LA is going to bid.

Archived