Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid

GBModerator

Quote - Durban is light years behind LA in "resources and infrastructure" - Unquote

Again, how so? California is almost broke & they'd have to seriously retrofit the Coliseum. Again, Durban already has that all-important piece of the stadium & has the spot to house other venues. L.A. might be ahead in some areas, but saying that they're "light years" ahead is quite the exaggeration.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then you come in with Bermuda, & being serious about it.

Sorry, but how does Bermuda equate into all this, "facetiously" or not. It doesn't. Simply bcuz they both have never gotten to host an Olympics doesn't make them "equal" in any way whatsoever.

My point about Bermuda is that they lack the resources and infrastructure to host. I seriously believe that. Don't you?

Not only didn't I say they were an equal, I specifically said they weren't equal.

Note - My original post had exactly one word about Bermuda. It's only become an issue because you wanted to shift the conversation away from the Olympics and onto me.

That means nothing when Rio has nearly built from scratch. Maracana needed a major renovation, Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre needs a renovation, and they have 1 Arena. They had poor infrastructure before the decision in 2009. LA has hosted in 1984. Give Durban a chance.

Oh, I give Durban a chance. But that doesn't change the fact that they are light years behind LA in infrastructure and resources.

LA, California and the United States are all areas of vast wealth. Much of the world still struggles to provide potable water and sanitation to citizens. LA's big water problem is having enough to fill millionaires' pools and water their lawns.

LA has a huge international airport with direct flights to most of the world. Plus four other airports with mostly domestic flights.

LA has the largest mass transist system in the US. They have a large and growing metro, plus vast bus networks.

LA has multiple large football stadiums.

LA has multiple state-of-the-art large arenas.

LA has multiple private groups fighting to build a new billion-dollar stadium.

5* hotels, affordable hotels, restaurants, culture, entertainment, star power.... LA has it all. Now.

My point about Bermuda is that they lack the resources and infrastructure to host. I seriously believe that. Don't you?

Not only didn't I say they were an equal, I specifically said they weren't equal.

Note - My original post had exactly one word about Bermuda. It's only become an issue because you wanted to shift the conversation away from the Olympics and onto me.

I'm not making my posts about you, far from it (talk about being a complete narcissist & trying to deflect). But about your insensible posts.

Bermuda has no place in this discussion whatsoever, regardless if they don't have the resources & infrastructure. Bermuda is an island of a puny 20 sq miles out in middle of the Atlantic, with a population of a mere 64K, with an economy a milli-fraction that of South Africa. So do the math. And again, it's not like California is in the best of financial shape, either, & even there you would still need to spend billions on refurbishing the outdated Coliseum & touching up some others.

Oh, I give Durban a chance. But that doesn't change the fact that they are light years behind LA in infrastructure and resources.

LA, California and the United States are all areas of vast wealth. Much of the world still struggles to provide potable water and sanitation to citizens. LA's big water problem is having enough to fill millionaires' pools and water their lawns.

LA has a huge international airport with direct flights to most of the world. Plus four other airports with mostly domestic flights.

LA has the largest mass transist system in the US. They have a large and growing metro, plus vast bus networks.

5* hotels, affordable hotels, restaurants, culture, entertainment, star power.... LA has it all. Now.

All the more to give Durban that chance. It's an opportunity the Olympics is for Durban, to help there economy, help there people, and carry on a sporting legacy. LA hosted in 1984, give someone else a chance.

But like your adorned fan here likes to constantly point out, how are they going to make their story any different form that of not that long ago 1984. All of that is going to mean squat to the IOC if they feel like L.A. is a "been there, done that". China had it's vast third-world problems compared to the first-world nation bids that they were up against. But clearly, the IOC wanted to make the most impact with their Games.

*Not to mention Brazil, too, with all their favelas. But they got the Olympics Games, though. <_<

One factor in the equation is the IOC wants to go to new places. But there are many reasons the US has hosted many times, but places like South Africa or Bermuda have never hosted.

Los Angeles has a ton of positives... it's an amazing city that is perfect for hosting... other than the fact that it has hosted twice before.

Los Angeles is good during a crisis, Oslo 2022 and Tokyo 2020 seem to be the hosts that will save the games this time around. To the IOC it is essential to show that cities who host the games have positive and noticeable legacies, LA would never have that.

The primary reason both have not hosted is a lack of resources and infrastructure. Yes, South Africa is closer. But Durban is still light years behind LA.

Yes maybe, but American excitement would never match South Africa's to get the games. Add on the fact they have never hosted and they have a strong Olympic infrastructure with the possibility of a hugely positive legacy and South Africa has a damn good case.

L.A.'s only hope for 2024 is if they're only up against Doha & Baku-koo. But if their only selling point is a "cost-effective" Games' plan (& they seem to think that is okay now bcuz of Sochi 2014's $51 Billion price tag), & they're up against the likes of Paris, Rome & South Africa, then their Hollywood goose is pretty much cooked. All they have to do is ask Madrid 2020 how that approach worked out for them.

By the way for people who are saying Durban is light years away from LA, light years is a unit of distance not time-Sheldon Cooper

If your only education of units of time and distance in space is from an American sit-com...I'm not even going to finish that.

It's Hollywood. Tinseltown. I suspect they'll do an amazing down with the narritive for the games.

The SCCOC already has a "Ready Set Gold!" program in place that the IOC will love.That won't be the whole pitch obviously... but it shows how they are already thinking about narritive.

By the way for people who are saying Durban is light years away from LA, light years is a unit of distance not time-Sheldon Cooper

Next you'll be telling me "under 12 parsecs" is a conversation about distance, not speed.

is the whole olympic torch design real cause when i googled it there wasn't much.

What are you talking about? If this is some backlash at my earlier comment then please do some more research. The picture in my signature is promoting a design competition on gamesbids.

But like your adorned fan here likes to constantly point out, how are they going to make their story any different form that of not that long ago 1984. All of that is going to mean squat to the IOC if they feel like L.A. is a "been there, done that". China had it's vast third-world problems compared to the first-world nation bids that they were up against. But clearly, the IOC wanted to make the most impact with their Games.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: For real? Can't let that one go, can you?

Alright, let's discuss these here. Yes, wealthy individuals live in Southern California. Individuals don't foot the bill for an Olympics though. Corporations and the state and federal government handle that. California is just climbing out of a major budget crisis that left the state in a huge amount of debt and scared off more than a few residents and businesses because of the high tax rates. Obviously a lot can change in a few years, but let's not paint a picture of California that they have a huge surplus of cash they're sitting on that they could easily spend on an Olympics.

Largest mass transit system in the US? I assume your United States then doesn't include New York? Especially having taken 2 forms of transportation in the NYC area this morning, pretty sure LA can't quite make that claim. And I'm not all that familiar with LA's transit system, but does that mass transit cover the venues proposed in an LA bid? The largest mass transit system imaginable isn't worth much if it doesn't serve the locations where people actually need to get to.

And yes, the football stadium. How's that project pushing along so far? The thing about a football stadium is that it's not going to get built until, you know, there's a football team to occupy it. A football team that will play 10 times a year there and potentially attract other events. And probably will not have provisions for a 400-meter track, so I don't know call a project like that something that works in favor of an Olympic bid. Might even work against it if the city feels that's a priority.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: For real? Can't let that one go, can you?

Why get upset when it so obvious. You're always at his rescue. I'm more than willing to let it go already, but obviously you can't. :rolleyes: So moving on.

It's Hollywood. Tinseltown. I suspect they'll do an amazing down with the narritive for the games.

The SCCOC already has a "Ready Set Gold!" program in place that the IOC will love.That won't be the whole pitch obviously... but it shows how they are already thinking about narritive.

They put on a Hollywood show for the world back in 1984. The world loved it. Will they love it again though?

And the thing about narrative/legacy.. the legacy of the `84 Olympics was that they managed to produce a profit at a time when that wasn't supposed to be possible. Can they do that again in the 21st century because if they can't, that somewhat tarnishes the legacy of their previous Olympics that they tried to do it again and couldn't pull it off.

Alright, let's discuss these here. Yes, wealthy individuals live in Southern California. Individuals don't foot the bill for an Olympics though. Corporations and the state and federal government handle that. California is just climbing out of a major budget crisis that left the state in a huge amount of debt and scared off more than a few residents and businesses because of the high tax rates. Obviously a lot can change in a few years, but let's not paint a picture of California that they have a huge surplus of cash they're sitting on that they could easily spend on an Olympics.

Largest mass transit system in the US? I assume your United States then doesn't include New York? Especially having taken 2 forms of transportation in the NYC area this morning, pretty sure LA can't quite make that claim. And I'm not all that familiar with LA's transit system, but does that mass transit cover the venues proposed in an LA bid? The largest mass transit system imaginable isn't worth much if it doesn't serve the locations where people actually need to get to.

And yes, the football stadium. How's that project pushing along so far? The thing about a football stadium is that it's not going to get built until, you know, there's a football team to occupy it. A football team that will play 10 times a year there and potentially attract other events. And probably will not have provisions for a 400-meter track, so I don't know call a project like that something that works in favor of an Olympic bid. Might even work against it if the city feels that's a priority.

Oh, maybe I spoke too soon here. But there's always a first. Or maybe you're finally starting to see the light! :lol:

Why get upset when it so obvious. You're always at his rescue. I'm more than willing to let it go already, but obviously you can't. :rolleyes: So moving on.

Always at his rescue? Please. And yea, you were the one who couldn't let it go in the first place when you saw him mention Bermuda and just had to jump on him for it. Then when you try to get it back on topic, you use that opportunity to take a subtle dig at me. But I guess Bermuda really is the Antarctica of this thread :P

Oh, maybe I spoke too soon here. But there's always a first. Or maybe you're finally starting to see the light! :lol:

See, that's a more direct dig. If you're going to insult me, I'd prefer you do it directly, that's all. Don't see how it's a first or me seeing the light when you yourself noted that I "constantly point out" these things.

Krow vs. Baron

Quaker vs. FYI

Tony vs. Everyone

Where does it end???

Sorry for off topic, but please don't drag me into this, I'm keeping out of confrontation.

Anway, LA should bid for 2028 or 2032 IMO.

Archived