Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid

I really hoped this wouldn't happen. Outside of LA residents does anyone want to see another Los Angeles Olympics? I think the majority of Americans would rather have the games in Paris or Rome.

And no, I am not being unfair to Los Angeles. I was born and raised in Orange County, and still have most of my family there. I just don't want to see another sprawlympics with the venues hours away from each other in multiple counties with poor mass transit between them for visitors.

• Like 1

2024 is America's best chance of winning the games this century and frankly Los Angeles is probably their best bet. It would be 40 years since the last LA games so that's not too much of a factor now, and can't really see any other US city putting forward a stronger bid.

What other serious option is there besides Los Angeles? This was

I really hoped this wouldn't happen. Outside of LA residents does anyone want to see another Los Angeles Olympics? I think the majority of Americans would rather have the games in Paris or Rome.

And no, I am not being unfair to Los Angeles. I was born and raised in Orange County, and still have most of my family there. I just don't want to see another sprawlympics with the venues hours away from each other in multiple counties with poor mass transit between them for visitors.

The majority of Americans wouldn't care either way.

2024 is America's best chance of winning the games this century and frankly Los Angeles is probably their best bet. It would be 40 years since the last LA games so that's not too much of a factor now, and can't really see any other US city putting forward a stronger bid.

This century? As in the period of time that stretches under the year 2100? How do you figure?

First off, 40 years isn't exactly a long time, so yes, I believe that's a factor. Given the lack of interest from other cities, maybe it's LA's best bet to win the domestic competition, but the field of candidates could well be pretty strong. If Los Angeles is up against Paris (100 years since they last hosted a Summer Olympics) or possibly a South African entry, I don't like LA's odds in that race. If the USOC believes LA is their best bet, they need to think long and hard if they want to put LA through the motions for 2024. Maybe the dynamics of the race will present itself that Los Angeles is an appealing choice, but I have my doubts about that.

Aside from all that though.. I hope the folks in Los Angeles understand this isn't a bid in the traditional sense. Remains to be seen how the USOC is going to go through this process, but I don't think it should come as a surprise to anyone that Los Angeles is fully committed to this objective.

• Like 1

This century? As in the period of time that stretches under the year 2100? How do you figure?

I'm pretty sure he means their best chance since 2000

The majority of Americans wouldn't care either way.

At least they wouldn't have to help pay for Paris or Rome, though. A Los Angeles games will be much cheaper than any other US city, but they also won't have any effect other than to serve as a three week party for SoCal residents.

I'm pretty sure he means their best chance since 2000

Fair enough, I read that one wrong. Then again, it should go without saying that the chances for the USOC to win an Olympic bid get better with every cycle. 2028 and 2032 will probably give them even better odds than 2024.

As I've stated many times, I personally believe that apart from New York City and Chicago, Los Angeles would be the best and strongest Bid from the Usa for the Summer Olympics. They have many Venues in place from 1984 (indeed they do need renovations etc), but I can see the next North American Summer Olympics going to Toronto for some reason, maybe 2032?

Outside of LA residents does anyone want to see another Los Angeles Olympics?.

Heck yes. I wanna see another games on home soil, and LA is by far our best chance.

And I think you underestimate LA's current mass transit.

Yawn. I wasn't even alive for '84, but yawn.

• Like 3

Heck yes. I wanna see another games on home soil, and LA is by far our best chance.

Why, though? The Olympics provide more scrutiny and bashing of the host country than prestige nowadays. Travel and meals might be cheaper for an American city than a European city, but I don't think they would be more than 40% cheaper.

And I think you underestimate LA's current mass transit.

It is very possible: I haven't lived there in over a decade. LA's mass transit is improved, but if it's a repeat of 1984 with venues all over Southern California it will still be a rental car Olympics. At least there's a light rail line to Memorial Coliseum now, though.

It is very possible: I haven't lived there in over a decade. LA's mass transit is improved, but if it's a repeat of 1984 with venues all over Southern California it will still be a rental car Olympics. At least there's a light rail line to Memorial Coliseum now, though.

It would almost certainly be a "rental car Olympics". Just look at the joke of a venue plan they proposed for 2016.

Why, though? The Olympics provide more scrutiny and bashing of the host country than prestige nowadays. Travel and meals might be cheaper for an American city than a European city, but I don't think they would be more than 40% cheaper.

I'm a bit of an Olmypic tourist, so I'd probably go to the games whether they are in LA, Paris or Rome. And from a stricktly tourist standpoint, I'd enjoy having the excuse to head to Paris/Rome.

But there is no greater feeling that being in the arena when your country wins gold. I've felt that magic when Alex Bilodeau won gold in Vancouver. I've felt that magic when Jessica Ennis won gold in London. I've felt that thrill for other counties, but I want to feel it for myself as the crowd roars U-S-A. Salt Lake 2002 was fun, but I didn't see any American golds. I want another chance!

Maybe I'm just not reading carefully enough, but does this article actually clarify that the USOC has definitively chosen LA?

The more things progress, I feel as if it would be better for the USOC to sit this bid cycle out.

You can get that experience from a local sports team, though. Admittedly I have only been to the winter games as an adult, but when Canada won gold in curling at Vancouver I don't think the atmosphere was any better than a home team playoff win for a major professional sport. It certainly wasn't impressive compared to an NFL team winning a playoff game.

Ummmmm every American (except for you) is dying for a olympics. It will be 22 years since the last olympics are held in the US, it's time for a olympics in the US.

Ummmmm every American (except for you) is dying for a olympics. It will be 22 years since the last olympics are held in the US, it's time for a olympics in the US.

Ah, yes, let's speak on behalf of 300 million people.

This comes off as entitled and obnoxious.

Other countries have waited longer (France, 100 years and South Africa has NEVER hosted). Those two are the others that are cited as being favourites. The USA will not win because it has waited 22 years. If it wins it will be for other reasons.

Are there two more perfect words to describe Americans??

[quote name="intoronto" post="434100" timestamp="

Other countries have waited longer (France, 100 years and South Africa has NEVER hosted). Those two are the others that are cited as being favourites. The USA will not win because it has waited 22 years. If it wins it will be for other reasons.

France hosted last in albertville in 1992

Ah, yes, let's speak on behalf of 300 million people.

Why speak for 300 million people, when you can generalize 300 million people!

• Like 2

Speaking as an American here.. we are not dying for an Olympics. For f**k's sake, it's only been 12 years since we last had one. Only 18 years (I know that's longer than some posters here have been alive) since we had a Summer Olympics. It would be nice if we got another one at some point in the not-too-distant future. But given our frequency of hosting from 1980-2002 and the somewhat dumb luck that put 1996 in this country, I'm okay with us waiting for at least a couple of other countries that have gone longer without an Olympics than us to get one first. Our time for an Olympics will come, and as much as it might suck to think that time might not be for another 20-25 years, so be it if that's the case.

• Like 2

Yes 300 million people want the Olympics here, that's why we have SO many major cities with a chance of hosting ready to bid. Hell if it's hard to convince New Orleans/Baton Rouge to host the Pan American games how the hell does Los Angeles expect to convince a whole nation to host the olympics let alon California who I hear is going through water rations. LA Olympics my gold medal.

I strongly agree, it's fools like him that make Americans look like pretentious snobs.

Yes: Arrogant Dumb-arses

France hosted last in albertville in 1992

And the US in 2002, France still hosted a while ago.

Speaking as an American here.. we are not dying for an Olympics. For f**k's sake, it's only been 12 years since we last had one. Only 18 years (I know that's longer than some posters here have been alive) since we had a Summer Olympics. It would be nice if we got another one at some point in the not-too-distant future. But given our frequency of hosting from 1980-2002 and the somewhat dumb luck that put 1996 in this country, I'm okay with us waiting for at least a couple of other countries that have gone longer without an Olympics than us to get one first. Our time for an Olympics will come, and as much as it might suck to think that time might not be for another 20-25 years, so be it if that's the case.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. If we wait, our time will come and when it comes I pray we have a city better than LA to offer the IOC.