Glasgow 2014 Baton Relay

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah and at the Stadium that hosted two of those games :)

So can remember the 1986 CWGs, for all the right and wrong reasons...and the fact that we got them next!

Makes you realise that 2018 really was meant to be New Zealand's. The previous two occasions Scotland has hosted it has handed over to NZ each time (70 to 74 and 86 to 90)

At least it will be hosted by the region that probably has the highest concentration of Kiwis outside of NZ - South East Queensland!

Makes you realise that 2018 really was meant to be New Zealand's. The previous two occasions Scotland has hosted it has handed over to NZ each time (70 to 74 and 86 to 90)At least it will be hosted by the region that probably has the highest concentration of Kiwis outside of NZ - South East Queensland!

True that!...Although the tide has turned and all our fair weather kiwis are comming home in droves as the great Aussie dream is over, being unwelcomed there and all...

Auckland was going to be host AGAIN. And it's only been revealed that the govt was not keen on the backlash if that city, although a shoe in, started to need even more funding to prop up a Games. They had to last time. It will be Christchurch as the next host and not till 2026 earliest...when their flash new $500mil roofed stadium is built.

But there we are.:)

Ooh, it's been an unhappy weekend here. The live sound for the video was even worse than usual, and attempts to mitigate the problem quickly spiralled into tech nightmare and big, big sulks. However, here's a look at what really happens on the Baton Relay, from the Millennium Bridge over the River Tyne on Friday morning (the 13th, that is- we should have seen it coming I suppose).

It might be boring but I respect that the CWG has it's own traditions and hasn't just tried to pull off its own lame flame, which has no real meaning other than to shadow the Olympics- like the Pan-Am, Asiad, etc.. And every other second and third tier multi sport event .

Also despite the lack of flame, it's kind of interesting how it's the one object going from hand to hand around the world for a year. (Bring your medi-wipes!)

It might be boring but I respect that the CWG has it's own traditions and hasn't just tried to pull off its own lame flame, which has no real meaning other than to shadow the Olympics- like the Pan-Am, Asiad, etc.. And every other second and third tier multi sport event .

Also despite the lack of flame, it's kind of interesting how it's the one object going from hand to hand around the world for a year. (Bring your medi-wipes!)

I fully agree.

It would have been easy to go for another torch concept, and obviously it's a tad hard to jazz up a baton relay come the opening ceremony, but it's original and adds to the heritage of the Commonwealth Games.

That baton relay thing is so boring! -_-

It may be boring from the outside, but for the communities it passes through, in the "local heroes" format it's adopting in Scotland (which worked very well indeed for the Olympics), it's a nice, happy hour or so of shared experience which people can look back on with fondness.

Aren't opinions free to be expressed?

Absolutely!

Sometimes traditions seen unusual to those not familiar with it.

The baton is one of those quirky Commonwealth ideals that is used to summon all the athletes in it, "the time has come to join together".

I do have to admit, the baton looks more a torch that anything since the 90s.

Its just a nice thing to have.

It may be boring from the outside, but for the communities it passes through, in the "local heroes" format it's adopting in Scotland (which worked very well indeed for the Olympics), it's a nice, happy hour or so of shared experience which people can look back on with fondness.

On which topic- check out Ashley Jensen's opinion, from Gretna Green, just up the road from where I was filming, and a few minutes earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/river-city-qbr

The Queen’s Baton Relay will play a starring role in River City next month when Molly O’Hara (Una McLean] becomes Shieldinch’s official batonbearer, accompanied by running groups from across Scotland.

In scenes from the popular BBC Scotland drama to be aired on Tuesday 22 July (BBC One Scotland, 8pm), Molly limbers up to welcome the well-travelled Queen’s Baton to Shieldinch. She’s joined by five Scottish running groups – the Shettleston Harriers, Kilmarnock Harriers, Inverclyde AC, Ronhill Cambuslang Harriers and Ayr Seaforth Harriers – who filmed the scenes at BBC Scotland’s Dumbarton Studios.

Donald MacKinnon, Series Producer, was delighted to welcome the groups to be part of River City’s Commonwealth Games celebrations: “As Commonwealth fever sweeps the nation, it’s wonderful that Scotland’s most popular soap was part of this unique event. Seeing the Queen’s Baton being held high through Montego Street by Molly was an iconic moment in River City’s history.”

Una McLean, who plays Shieldinch batonbearer Molly O’Hara, adds: “I was thrilled to have the honour of carrying the Queen’s baton through the streets of Shieldinch! And even happier that I didn’t drop it. I must confess I didn’t realise it was so heavy – age allowed me to use both hands to hold it! I so admired all the children from the running groups involved – they were so dedicated and enthusiastic. I just adored all of them!”

The River City storyline is part of the BBC’s year-long contribution to the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. The BBC is the domestic broadcaster for Glasgow 2014 and, in addition to comprehensive sports coverage during the Games in July and August, the Corporation has also unveiled a wide-ranging package of on-air and off-air output and events throughout 2014.

The Queen’s Baton Relay is now in Scotland, ahead of the Opening Ceremony in Glasgow on 23 July. You can follow its journey live in video, text and pictures on the BBC live stream at bbc.co.uk/queensbatonrelay

• 2 weeks later...

Archived