Medal Totals, who will dominate the table?

Alexjc

For the last twenty years only one country has stood out on the medal table, and that's Australia.

94 was a shock to the Commonwealth with three quarters of the gold medal count going to them.

Times have changed but will we still see a dominant Australia especially in their favorite venue, the pool?

Clearly London showed just how good they are with a steam of silvers against USA.

United Kingdom breaks up into seperates thus giving an unusual lopsided result but England still dominates. Canada seems to be shying away from fronting a large team these days. More inclined to be Olympic focussed. NZ is going the same way with most of the sports funding given to Olympic events that don't feature in the commies.

Anyway I predict:

Australia - highest medal total, but not as high it use to be.

England - second, could win the Sevens

Scotland - a hosts extra total haul

Canada - up there too

Jamaica - rounding it out as long as everything is legit.

India - always finishes strongly

New Zealand - somewhere in the top ten, expected to take the Sevens, womans Shot put.

Samoa - medal in the Sevens, possibly gold

South Africa - a top five finish

Kenya - always good in long distance running, also Sevens.

Wales - another high finisher.

Anyone else? Your predictions please.

With the addition of judo and mountain biking, Canada should improve from Delhi. The women's swimming team is the strongest it has ever been and should challenge for a few medals.Canada sent a second string gymnastics team in 2010 because it was too close to the World Chanpionships. They should win more medals this time. In rhythimic gymnastics Canada currently has the best athlete (based on world championships she would win 5 gold).

My too 3 is Australia, England then Canada

Also take into account there were 36 shooting events in Delhi and 40 in Melbourne. There are only 19 in Glasgow. That will significantly harm India and England`s medal totals.

What is the reason for the massive decrease?

I just combined the results of the major GB C'wealth nations into one, and put them up against Australia.

Manchester 2002

Australia: 82 gold, 62 silver, 63 bronze (207 total)

Team GB: 68 gold, 74 silver, 89 bronze (231 total)

Melbourne 2006

Australia: 84 gold, 69 silver, 69 bronze (222 total)

Team GB: 50 gold, 54 silver, 56 bronze (160 total)

Delhi 2010

Australia: 74 gold, 55 silver, 48 bronze (177 total)

Team GB: 52 gold, 90 silver, 80 bronze (222 total)

Based on the above, and a "Commonwealth Team GB" I'd say Australia will clock in less total medals than the four Team GB countries combined, like was the case in Delhi and Manchester, but will still probably have the most total golds (although it will be cutting it fine)

Australia will be at the top of the medal table with New Zealand somewhere in the top 10. I wish rowing was a Commonwealth sport!

It is...as an optional. Just so expensive to host and limited commie participants.

Hmm interesting. Very used to Australia dominating however would not be surprised if it is really tight between Australia and England. Following our somewhat disappointing effort in the 2012 games i'm concerned. However, that may have happened because it was a home games for Britain so who knows haha.

Hmm interesting. Very used to Australia dominating however would not be surprised if it is really tight between Australia and England. Following our somewhat disappointing effort in the 2012 games i'm concerned. However, that may have happened because it was a home games for Britain so who knows haha.

It will be close, as a Team GB result, could see Australia surpassed on that. Remember that Australia is dominant in the pool and very much the Commonwealth leader there at the 2012 Olympics. I was amazed at how down in the mouth they were for their gold count. Totally, they did well.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived