Where's the stadium for the ceremonies?

Yeah, I also thought it was a ridiculous excuse to not do the show in the Ski Jumping venue. Lillehammer didn't had much issues doing it there. Even though the venue will be "temporary" i bet using the Ski jump venue would be much less expensive.

The venue isn't temporary anymore.

^^ *facepalms* Is Korea updated to the fact many are hating the Olympics right now for very good reasons?

Cuz if they would, then they wouldn't had taken such a terrible decision like making a permanent, huge-ass venue in the middle of nowhere.

Which will probably become reclaimed by nature in some years or turned into a parking lot, by the way.

• Like 1

^^ *facepalms* Is Korea updated to the fact many are hating the Olympics right now for very good reasons?

Cuz if they would, then they wouldn't had taken such a terrible decision like making a permanent, huge-ass venue in the middle of nowhere.

Which will probably become reclaimed by nature in some years or turned into a parking lot, by the way.

The IOC made an foolish choice in 2018 going to PyeongChang South Korea I think the 2014 Asian Games was an lead up to show what is going to be like in PC 2018 and that was an summer event. The IOC Should of gone to Munich Germany in 2018. South Koreans are not know as winter sports lovers even Australians are more into winter sports then the South Koreans. I have not an great feeling that the 2018 Winter Games will go to well at least with Sochi it was in an country which was an winter sports superpower.

The IOC made an foolish choice in 2018 going to PyeongChang South Korea I think the 2014 Asian Games was an lead up to show what is going to be like in PC 2018 and that was an summer event. The IOC Should of gone to Munich Germany in 2018. South Koreans are not know as winter sports lovers even Australians are more into winter sports then the South Koreans. I have not an great feeling that the 2018 Winter Games will go to well at least with Sochi it was in an country which was an winter sports superpower.

Wut? South Korea is the biggest Short Track country in the world, at this point they are probably second only to the Netherlands in Speed Skating and Figure Skating is on the rise there.

They aren't Germany, but seriously. Australian winter sports has a long way to go to be competitive with South Korea.

Wut? South Korea is the biggest Short Track country in the world, at this point they are probably second only to the Netherlands in Speed Skating and Figure Skating is on the rise there.

They aren't Germany, but seriously. Australian winter sports has a long way to go to be competitive with South Korea.

I think he meant popularity ? But even then I wouldn't be too sure.

One thing is how the team performs, and another one is the general interest of the people. While I admit South Korea has become a strong country in winter sports, people there are not very enthusiastic to attend these events (as much as Sochi overspent, at least Russia is a winter sport loving country by default). Which is why many are scared that they will face low attendances. The empty seats in Incheon don't help at all to dissipate those fears.

One thing is how the team performs, and another one is the general interest of the people. While I admit South Korea has become a strong country in winter sports, people there are not very enthusiastic to attend these events (as much as Sochi overspent, at least Russia is a winter sport loving country by default). Which is why many are scared that they will face low attendances. The empty seats in Incheon don't help at all to dissipate those fears.

I am thinking that 2018 will be a good games to go to, (my first WOG) if attendances are low, it maybe easier and cheaper to get tickets to events....

I am thinking that 2018 will be a good games to go to, (my first WOG) if attendances are low, it maybe easier and cheaper to get tickets to events....

Also a good Games to watch from home. First Winter Olympics in our timezone since 1998.

I think 2022 would be an interesting Winter Games to attend, regardless of who hosts. Almaty would be fascinating - Beijing would be too because I was there in 2008, so I'd enjoy seeing the contrast.

In Perth 30,000 tickets for ICE Hockey USA vs Canada was sold in under 35 mins at the winter sports are becoming big interest in Australia and they are showing more hours on TV for Winter Sports, South Koreans are not known for the love of winter sports.

Koreans may not be huge fans of winter sports, but they are huge fans of Korea. Patriotism will lead to big turouts.

For what it's worth, the only WOG sports that are really hard to get tickets for are the gold medal mens hockey and the mens/women's individual finals in ice skating (ceremonies too I guess). I expect the ice skating to still be popular in 2018.... the only thing that might be unusually available is the hockey.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As said elsewhere, there was an image of the stadium in the PyeongChang pavilion at Sochi, and it was looking a lot like the Los Angeles Pacific Coliseum.

I asked to two of the hostesses of the pavilion where exactly it was, but they thought it was at the coastal cluster ! So I gave up locating it. The river around it on the picture in the pavillion however moreover matches the geolocalisation provided by wikipedia.

I assume the stadium will be a temporary structure like Albertville's; regarding the ceremony at the ski jump, I rewatched recently the 1994 Ceremony and it seems to me that it worked quite well.

I've just found this one:

51577-olympic-image1.jpg

Source: http://www.sportsfeatures.com/PressPoint/images/51577-olympic-image1.jpg

Seems to be the spot where Daegwallyeong-myeong's (did I spell that right? :blink: ) sports ground was located - about 2,5 km to the east of the ski jumps.

I've just found this one:

51577-olympic-image1.jpg

Source: http://www.sportsfeatures.com/PressPoint/images/51577-olympic-image1.jpg

Seems to be the spot where Daegwallyeong-myeong's (did I spell that right? :blink: ) sports ground was located - about 2,5 km to the east of the ski jumps.

Yes, it seems it will located where the running track is now located and extend into the town centre.

Based on the image, that doesn't look like a temporary stadium. Another white elephant?

Given Hektor's information that the image dates back to at least the beginning of last year, I think we can be confident that the finished product, on which work does not yet seem to have started, will look a lot less permanent.

I believe it will be a temporary stadium specially designed for the show they will pull out (much like the Ceremonies Theatre of Albertville '92 or that stage they did for Guagnzhou 2010 Asiad). Since the production team was selected only like 3 months ago, my guess is they wont start building it until they've finally decided how the ceremonies will be done.

Also its possible the stadium design will be kept a secret for most of the time to avoid spoiling potential details of the show. Though all what i've said are just wild guesses.