Sign in to follow this  
Scotguy

Glasgow 2014 Venues

Ahh where would we be without an Emirates' hung off the side of a stadium.

I want to believe...

Huh?...explain?

The Hydro has been named as one of the world's top entertainment venues, beating Madison Square Garden in America and Wembley Arena.

1397129495-870.jpg

The Glasgow landmark was ranked fourth in Pollstar's top 100 worldwide arena venues. The list is based on the arena's ticket sales.

Since opening its doors in September 2013, the Hydro has hosted 61 shows, including Justin Timberlake, Rod Stewart and Beyonce, welcoming over 600,000 fans.

The O2 in London topped the list with the Phones 4u Arena in Manchester and Lanxess Arena in Germany securing the second and third spots. Madison Square Garden was ranked 12th, while Wembley Arena came 30th.

John Langford, director of Concerts and Events at the SECC, said: "To have reached the position of number four on the Pollstar ranking so soon after opening is great news for the SECC and Glasgow. But we could never have done it without the legendary Glasgow audiences!",

The Hydro has become a key destination for major arena tours and will host shows by acts including Katy Perry and Lady Gaga later this year.

The Hydro has been named as one of the world's top entertainment venues, beating Madison Square Garden in America and Wembley Arena.

1397129495-870.jpg

The Glasgow landmark was ranked fourth in Pollstar's top 100 worldwide arena venues. The list is based on the arena's ticket sales.

Since opening its doors in September 2013, the Hydro has hosted 61 shows, including Justin Timberlake, Rod Stewart and Beyonce, welcoming over 600,000 fans.

The O2 in London topped the list with the Phones 4u Arena in Manchester and Lanxess Arena in Germany securing the second and third spots. Madison Square Garden was ranked 12th, while Wembley Arena came 30th.

John Langford, director of Concerts and Events at the SECC, said: "To have reached the position of number four on the Pollstar ranking so soon after opening is great news for the SECC and Glasgow. But we could never have done it without the legendary Glasgow audiences!",

The Hydro has become a key destination for major arena tours and will host shows by acts including Katy Perry and Lady Gaga later this year.

Congratulations 02 Arena. That's my nearest Arena. World Class Entertainment Venue!

You're not making the "odd comment" though, you're making it all about London, all the time whenever you can jump into it.

• Like 1

You're not making the "odd comment" though, you're making it all about London, all the time whenever you can jump into it.

All I said was Congratulations to the 02 Arena, because Scotguy's Post says 02 Arena won the award. Congratulations to the Hydro Arena in Glasgow aswell.

Grrr :angry:

SCOTGUY. Any new pictures of venues please? :)

This was posted on Katy Perry's Facebook page before her concert at the Hydro - The Gymnastics venue.

10397837_10152106248971466_9035263460841

I'm aloud to make the odd comment. I'm sure you've mentioned Toronto.

For someone who has OCD, I'm surprised you've made such an obvious spelling mistake without correcting it.

The Hydro Arena looks really futuristic-ish with it's simplistic color palette and architecture (which I like :)). The purple lights also look really nice.

For someone who has OCD, I'm surprised you've made such an obvious spelling mistake without correcting it.

Pwaahaa haa...

An ariel of the Hydro site

10276009_785504301473704_315596402435553

Gosh it still feels like ages away!

Some venue pictures from my Glasgow meander on 27 May 2014 (a slightly grey day):

da_Kelvingrove_pavilion.jpg

Kelvingrove Park- they seem to be converting the tennis courts to temporary bowling greens (the park's permanent greens are to the left of the pavilion).

db_Kelvin_Hall.jpg

The Kelvin Hall, apparently ready to serve as an administrative centre for the Games.

fa_SECC_from_w.jpg

The SECC from the west. Not my favourite ever grouping of buildings.

fb_Clyde_Auditorium.jpg

The Clyde Auditorium / Armadillo.fc_SECC_entrance.jpg

Entrance to the original SECC halls (aka a bunch of big sheds).

fd_Hydro.jpg

The Hydro entrance.

fe_Hydro_Finnieston_Crane.jpg

The Hydro and the Finnieston Crane.

ha_Commonwealth_Arena.jpg

The Commonwealth Arena.

hc_Celtc_Park.jpg

Celtic Park, not quite getting into the CWG spirit just yet.

Surprising you say about the not so attractive building cluster. Ex Glasgwegan and now Breakfast TV host here in NZ, Rawdon Christie, pretty much said the same thing about the positioning of the waterside buildings...But then he never has said nothing nice about his former hometown.

As for me when I visited Glasgow in late 1990 as a teen, I didn't really think much of the place mainly because everyone was complaining about the new Community Services charge they were all paying. The Docks were still there though but lots of ruins. We went to the site of the ship builders that built the Wahine. Can remember there were more big cranes but they look to be all gone now bar one.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but I still believe Stadium Scotland should've been built and others around the city closed.