Glasgow 2014 Venues

Scotguy

Surprising you say about the not so attractive building cluster. Ex Glasgwegan and now Breakfast TV host here in NZ, Rawdon Christie, pretty much said the same thing about the positioning of the waterside buildings...But then he never has said nothing nice about his former hometown.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but I still believe Stadium Scotland should've been built and others around the city closed.

The biggest problem with the SECC is undoubtedly the original sheds, which just look out-of-place alongside the distinctive "signature" buildings.

How many stadiums around Glasgow could sensibly be closed, even if a new national stadium was built?

Hampden, that'd be it. Maybe one of the Old Firm could move in, but there might be problems with the national stadium not being club, & so religion-neutral. And if you think Celtic & Rangers could ground-share...good luck :P

Celtic v Rangers...It was worse back then when I was there.

I think thats where so much of the badlands reputation of Glasgow came from in the 90s...It didn't help that Taggart also showed the city in a dreary depressing sort of way.

I suppose you could've downsized Hampton Park to a football pitch stadia? Then the National Stadium used as a neutral venue and stop all those knife fights?

Amazing pics, still looked much the same in 1990, so it was already in decline...and Thatcher gets the blame?

Oh yeah I can remember there was a huge steel mill but it was going to close because the coal supply was too expensive...apparently they pulled it down and built a mall on the site.

Todays Glasgow is a far better place but as with all larger cities will always have dark corners to hide.

• 3 weeks later...

Celtic Park: Opening Ceremony Venue

WHfF5gw.jpg

Scotguy!...Dare you to walk in there wearing a really LOUD Rangers jersey!:D...do it, do it, do it...

_75299025_75299018.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-06-04-at-100818.png

This is three metres up of the true main pitch isn't it?

Its still odd to see a separate Ceremony and T&F venue. A taste of whats to come in Rio, I guess.

Gold Coast is doing the same with a beachside OC proposed.

I suppose after years of same old, it's time to adapt to a modern look?

^^ The Pan Am Games would like to have a talk with you :lol:

Speaking of which, shouldn't the works for the opening ceremony stage start already?

These were taken a number of weeks ago, have no idea what it looks like now.

Along the same lines, I can't remember an opening ceremony that has had such little buzz so close to the event. Likewise, we have heard almost no teasers or leaks about what is likely to be in it. The only things we've heard is the led screen, and the now guzumped plan to implode council blocks.

Celtic-Park.jpg

Celtic-Park.jpg

Celtic-Park.jpg

:D Great views, love the weather!

In saying that, this far more audience interactive show could be the way to go...The last two OWGs Opening Ceremonies have been performed in a more theatre like atmosphere. Looking at the shear closeness of the seating in Celtic Park compaired to the traditional layout of Hampden Park, I think they got this right. :) Soon find out in a fortnight!

I think the ongoing World Cup might be the main reason why there hasn't been much publicity about the OC :P. By the way, glad to finaly see pics of the stage taking shape. I guess it will be a mini-Doha 2006 with the huge LED Screen.

The stadium looks somewhat pale but it will probably look better after the look of the games installed on it.

Gold Coast is doing the same with a beachside OC proposed.

I suppose after years of same old, it's time to adapt to a modern look?

Wasn't that for the closing ceremony? I think the opening was already decided to be held on the cricket stadium

• 2 weeks later...

Archived