NBC butchers Closing Ceremony Again!

Oh sure, the IOC could be like the Masters and accept a bit less money to ensure their product is shown respectfully on TV.

If they weren't money grubbing corrupt weasels.

So do tell, where does the IOC put all its billions of dollars from sponsors and broadcasters? Because surely its not being divided up amongst the 35 different International Federations as a major part of their operations and development budgets. And OCOG are surely not getting between 300 and 600 million dollars to off-set operations costs directly from the sponsorship and broadcasting revenue. I mean the IOC surely can't be a registered charity in both the United States and Switzerland, having to abide by and adhere to every single requirement and stipulation that entails. And there is absolutely no possible way that the 110ish IOC members are volunteers who recieve absolutely no financial renumeration for their work. Obviously the IOC just hoards their billions, gives a pitence to their employees in Lausanne and spreads the money around. So next time you see Eaton or DeFrantz ask them why they don't seem to be enjoying the billions of dollars their membership in the IOC entitles them to, according to you.

Well put faster. Nothing irks me more than people who don't realize where all these dollars go. It is thanks to these dollars that we have just witnessed the most competitive winter games in history. It is thanks to those dollars that athletes from nations such as Gabon, Grenada, Cyprus, and Mauritius have stood on the podium at the last two summer games.

Also, ESPN's streaming service is impeccable.

I agree. Of course, don't forget it's only available to certain cable subscribers, just like NBC's Olympic streaming. So there's that. And how impeccable would that streaming service be if they had a thousand hours of Olympics on top of everything that's normally on their schedule. That's the problem with ESPN and the Olympics.. their schedule is already so full that to pile all of the Olympics on top of that doesn't make sense for them. I know some people think it's weird to say that an all-sports network is the wrong network to take on the world's largest sporting event, but ESPN has too many priorities and commitments to go all in on the Olympics.

I agree. Of course, don't forget it's only available to certain cable subscribers, just like NBC's Olympic streaming. So there's that. And how impeccable would that streaming service be if they had a thousand hours of Olympics on top of everything that's normally on their schedule. That's the problem with ESPN and the Olympics.. their schedule is already so full that to pile all of the Olympics on top of that doesn't make sense for them. I know some people think it's weird to say that an all-sports network is the wrong network to take on the world's largest sporting event, but ESPN has too many priorities and commitments to go all in on the Olympics.

Which was reflected by their lowball offer of $1.4 billion for the 2014 and 2016 Games. ESPN really wasn't all that interested in the first place.

I was going to comment and draw parallels between CTV/TSN and ABC/ESPN and than thought twice. Because the dedication and scope of coverage that the Canadian broadcaster has provided for the Olympics over the 18 years I have watched is so much more encompassing than anything NBC offers. You would never see NBC with the rights and a sublicense being given to ESPN and Foxsports channel to broadcast events like CBC did this year and will do in Rio or have ABC/NBC jointly bid together like CTV/Rogers did for 2010/12.

I was going to comment and draw parallels between CTV/TSN and ABC/ESPN and than thought twice. Because the dedication and scope of coverage that the Canadian broadcaster has provided for the Olympics over the 18 years I have watched is so much more encompassing than anything NBC offers. You would never see NBC with the rights and a sublicense being given to ESPN and Foxsports channel to broadcast events like CBC did this year and will do in Rio or have ABC/NBC jointly bid together like CTV/Rogers did for 2010/12.

Thus is the nature of the TV business in here in the United States. You would never see a situation here where, say, NBC buys the rights and brings Fox Sports 1 into the fold. There would be no United States Olympic broadcast consortium. Too many competing interests here for the Olympics to be shared. So it winds up with 1 company who is free to do whatever they want with it.

I agree with msp2032. I don't quite understand why NBC interrupted some of their coverage as they did. Well, actually I do. Their goal is to make money and attract viewers, but it still bugs me. I would love to see an opening or closing ceremony at any Olympics that is not taped, is not edited and allows me to formulate my own ideas and opinions. And I was not thrilled to see NBC give so much time to the soap opera of 20 years ago with Kerrigan and Harding. That whole story, dredged up once again, is an embarrassment to the US and to figure skating.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL REPLAYS OF EVERY SOCHI EVENT

Ironically, I see everything there but the Closing Ceremony even though they said the full replay would be available after the Primetime broadcast ended

Just tried watching the CLosing Ceremony clip there. It is NOT the complete, uncut version shown live earlier in the day. It is the truncated version as shown on Primetime. So no Circus, no Music section.

I mean the IOC surely can't be a registered charity in both the United States and Switzerland, having to abide by and adhere to every single requirement and stipulation that entails. And there is absolutely no possible way that the 110ish IOC members are volunteers who recieve absolutely no financial renumeration for their work.

You think because they are a "registered charity" they can't be corrupt weasels??? These are the same guys who were taking any bribe they could get their hands on, up to and including suitcases full of cash?? And yes, they were the same registered charity they are today.

Speaking of suitcases full of cash, all you have to do is look at the Olympic ticketing process, and the NOC's relationship with Sead Dizdarevic to see corruption still is rampant.

Doesn't mean the IOC doesn't do a lot of good. But if you don't think there is corruption there....

Ugh, not this again. No, Sochi is NOT 30 milles away from Adler, it's half of that at 15 miles.

Not to mention that Adler is merely a DISTRICT of Sochi similar to the boroughs of New York City.

And besides, perhaps the fact that Putin was willing to give the IOC a party that ended up costing $51 Billion, the "nit pickiness" didn't matter to them at that point.

Sorry, typo, I meants 30km.

And, no, Adler is not similar to Queens. There is vast open territory and entire towns between Sochi and Adler. Berkley:SF is much closer to Manhattan:Queens than Adler:Sochi.

But the your last point is the important one. The IOC *doesn't* care about this stuff. If SF puts forward a bid they like with Berkley included, they won't care where the cities lines are dwawn..

You think because they are a "registered charity" they can't be corrupt weasels??? These are the same guys who were taking any bribe they could get their hands on, up to and including suitcases full of cash?? And yes, they were the same registered charity they are today.

Speaking of suitcases full of cash, all you have to do is look at the Olympic ticketing process, and the NOC's relationship with Sead Dizdarevic to see corruption still is rampant.

Doesn't mean the IOC doesn't do a lot of good. But if you don't think there is corruption there....

No I do not think the organization as a whole is corrupt. Individuals are corrupt. It is exactly my point that IOC members are volunteers that lends itself to individual corruption. If you are from a poor, improverished African or Asian country and you get offered money, free education, cars etc for a simple vote for Nagano, Sydney or Salt Lake City, you're going to take it. Unfortunately for most of the world backhanders are still the norm.

That's a good point. TV rights in the US are totally different; it boils down to conglomerates (Comcast vs Time Warner) and market size.

In Canada, we saw CTV/Rogers put forth a joint bid for 2010-12, and CBC/Bell Media for 2014-16 (which was rejected by the IOC). You'll never see a joint bid like that in the US.

On March 7 in Sochi, the Opening Ceremony of the XI Paralympic Winter Games will be held.

Just a few hours later, the Opening Ceremony of the X South American Games will be held in Santiago de Chile.

Participate in the forum here:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/23707-south-american-games-santiago-2014/page-2

Archived