scoobiesnacks

Where are the hotels?

62 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2017 at 1:14 PM, zekekelso said:

The "solution" is probably going to be some sort of non-hotel housing. 

AirBnB!!! I wonder if there will be anything available on there leading up to the games. 

There was talk of a homestay option - which while far from ideal may provide accommodation in useful areas.

In all honesty I am treating my trip to Sapporo for the Asian Winter Games next week as a substitute for Pyeongchang - as of right now it is pretty much impossible to do anything except book a room in Seoul which is going to be of dubious use.  There is no way I will book any tickets for any events unless I have accommodation secured prior to purchasing them - so I am guessing CoSport/ATR are shitting themselves right now as their ticket revenues will be pretty small for 2018 unless everyone takes the pricey 'hotel included' packages...

Tokyo 2020/Beijing 2022 look like much better options going forward.

With the long distances between Beijing and wherever they're going to do the snow events, I'm not too sure if 2022 will be much better (unless China does a much better planning on housing/transport than Korea)

In hindsight, it would've been better for South Korea to have gone with "Seoul" with the ice events & the core of the 2018 Winter Games there, as far as transport & accommodations are concerned. And especially now when sustainability is becoming a bigger issue these days with the Olympics. 

22 hours ago, FYI said:

In hindsight, it would've been better for South Korea to have gone with "Seoul" with the ice events & the core of the 2018 Winter Games there, as far as transport & accommodations are concerned. And especially now when sustainability is becoming a bigger issue these days with the Olympics. 

True, but it is a major pain in the ass for those who are a fan of both events and couldn't be able to do both an indoor even and outdoor event without a crappy traveling schedule in that scenario.

Is there another city closer to Pyeongchang than Seoul with accomodations that wouldn't make the daily travel time so exhausting?

5 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Is there another city closer to Pyeongchang than Seoul with accomodations that wouldn't make the daily travel time so exhausting?

The ice events (including hockey, speed skating & curling) are taking place in Gangneung (on the total opposite South Korean coast from Seoul). But I'm not sure how accommodations & transport are working in Gangneung.

I mean the new high-speed rail is between Seoul & PyeongChang anyway. So why didn't they just go with Seoul when thinking about it. So in that sense, it seems kinda goofy, bcuz you have to pass PyeongChang anyway, from Seoul, in order to get to Gangneung.

Although, I think the distance from Gangneung to PyeongChang is not as great in comparison. So maybe that was the deal when traveling on a daily basis between the two clusters. But then again, when you considering the bigger distance Between Beijing 2022 & Zhangziakou (Alpine cluster), Seoul to PyeongChang is compact in comparison if accommodations would've been plentiful.

I booked accommodations in Gangneung, although it's still like 1.5 hours away from PyeongChang. Donghae is another option, except it's even further away.

15 hours ago, Lake said:

I booked accommodations in Gangneung, although it's still like 1.5 hours away from PyeongChang. Donghae is another option, except it's even further away.

No Gangneung is the city that is hosting the indoor venues, Donghae is only 20 mins by train to GN and GN to Alpensia is only around 25 min drive. The fast train will move everyone to Jinbu which is the main transport hub. 

I booked a room in a motel near the Gangneung railway station so it will be ok for Olympic park and access to Alpensia.

1 hour ago, hektor said:

I booked a room in a motel near the Gangneung railway station so it will be ok for Olympic park and access to Alpensia.

Can I ask what motel?

As an extension of "where are the hotels?"- the time is rapidly approaching when we find out how bad a problem THIS is really going to be:

PyeongChang? Pyongyang? Olympic Host City Location Is Easily Mistaken

A Kenyan man accidentally traveled to Pyongyang, not PyeongChang, in 2014

By Andrea Swalec

As the 2018 Winter Olympics approach, some soon-to-be spectators are confusing the host city of PyeongChang, South Korea, with Pyongyang, North Korea. In one case, a man who planned to go to the South Korean ski town accidentally went to the capital of one of the most repressive countries in the world.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/PyeongChang-Pyongyang-Olympics-Fans-Still-Learning-Where-Host-City-Is-421936333.html

That's not shocking at all. Most of the time I'm trying to look for info on Pyeonchang I usually get Pyongyang first.