Russia invades the Crimea... what happens next?

Ripley

Because of the Ukraine Crisis, the 2015 EuroBasket will be moved elsewhere. France has submitted an 'offer' to Host the event. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/news/1018950-france-submits-offer-to-host-eurobasket-2015-following-concerns-with-crisis-hit-ukraine - Source: InsidetheGames. I must add, I posted this information on this section as it's related to the Ukraine Crisis with Crimea.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm - Putin said in his speech that he didn't want to divide Ukraine but he reserved the right to use Russian forces to protect Russians living there - sounds like a pretext to me. All Putin needs to do is to send some professional insurgents into Eastern Ukraine to create the conditions for his pretext. This is exactly what he did in Crimea.

There is every bit as much chance of Putin sending in his troops to 'protect' ethnic Russians in any part of Ukraine he chooses! He will never allow Ukraine to fall into the West's orbit and his aim is to permanently weaken and destabilise the country in revenge for the ousting of his puppet, Yanukovych. He has already grabbed Crimea and he intends for Ukraine to be a permanent client state of Russia whoever has taken power in Kiev!

Putin is just calling the West's bluff. Talk of sanctions is just so much hot air as far as he is concerned. He is a pupil of Stalin ("How many divisions does the Pope have?") and unless the West is genuinely prepared to bring it's 'divisions' into play, he intends to do pretty much whatever he wants with Ukraine and possibly any other bordering state with large populations of ethnic Russians who may need 'protecting'. So Baltic States and others in that position...watch out!

Putin likes to play brinksmanship with the West. He is an old-style Russian autocrat in that respect. He will do whatever he feels he can get away with.

With Obama in the WH, Putin is in complete control. Obama, the worst president in the history of the US - leading them to a complete collapse later this year - is weak. Putin is anything but. He may be misguided, but he does what he says.

Don't expect sanctions any deeper than what has been announced. Okay, they have been suspended from the G8? Big deal. Putin knows that as long as the EU rely on 'his' natural resources to power their heaters et al, he is in the driving seat.

I am not a supporter of his policies or of him personally. But a Statesman he is, in his native Russia. A very effective one.

Somewhat agreed with everyone. And the threat to his billionaire friends? OK, they may have $500 or so frozen...but I think they have enough assets spread around that they're not going to go begging. And the recaptured lands in Ukraine or wherever, will just be new 'markets' for the sanctioned oligarchs to make up lost ground.

Well the Rouble is tanking and the Russian stock market has fallen too. The Russian central bank reckons this will lead to inflation in Russia over the next months. The best way to get back at Putin is to impoverish his middle class supporters. The west needs a plan to protect itself from the backdraft of any sanctions and to implement a gradual tightening grip around Russian economic life. Nato should get some troops up to the Baltics, Poland and Hungary to show its serious about protecting its borders... perhaps a "military exercise" should be held.

Above all the EU should be united in its approach with emergency economic aid to Ukraine and a strengthening of diplomatic ties with the new Government. There should then be a concerted effort to reduce and eliminate any EU country's dependence on Russian oil and gas....there's simply no need for it with the world now awash with gas. Not saying the EU should stop using Russian Gas and oil but there should be limits imposed to stop countries' dependence on it. This would be a policy decision that should stick in perpetuity.

Whole heartedly agree! The EU needs a firm response and the US needs to use our oil supplies to keep European energy up.

Here in England (or UK) we can pose a threat to Russia. North Korea can as well. Germany.

Tony, if Putin is not scared by the US he couldn't give a s*** about the UK. And he is certainly not scared of Germany considering all his ex-soviet cronies in power there. In Putin's eyes along with all his unintelligent supporters the UK is just a puppet state of the US (we all know this is not true) but Russia is not scared of a nations military which does not even rank in the top five largest.

Whole heartedly agree! The EU needs a firm response and the US needs to use our oil supplies to keep European energy up.

Tony, if Putin is not scared by the US he couldn't give a s*** about the UK. And he is certainly not scared of Germany considering all his ex-soviet cronies in power there. In Putin's eyes along with all his unintelligent supporters the UK is just a puppet state of the US (we all know this is not true) but Russia is not scared of a nations military which does not even rank in the top five largest.

I'm not getting into that debate, it's best I don't make in detail reply to that.

Watch a documentary about how Putin came into power.

And what documentary will name the "ex-Soviet cronies" in power in Germany? I'd like to know as Iive in Germany and don't spot any such figures in our government.

But the viewers of such documentaries seem to know better.

I don't see Russian forces entering Eastern Ukraine; Crimea is one thing.... that is surely another!

As for Crimea, I am comfortable with the position its people have taken. They want to be part of the Russian Federation - so let it be so. Russia want them, they want Russia. And it really is that simple.

I do. There had been reports of suspected Russian agitators in Doneskt and Kharkiv. Michelle, you do not know American history very well if you think Obama is the worst President. Look up the few that were President before Lincoln.

Hmm - Putin said in his speech that he didn't want to divide Ukraine but he reserved the right to use Russian forces to protect Russians living there - sounds like a pretext to me. All Putin needs to do is to send some professional insurgents into Eastern Ukraine to create the conditions for his pretext. This is exactly what he did in Crimea.

There is every bit as much chance of Putin sending in his troops to 'protect' ethnic Russians in any part of Ukraine he chooses! He will never allow Ukraine to fall into the West's orbit and his aim is to permanently weaken and destabilise the country in revenge for the ousting of his puppet, Yanukovych. He has already grabbed Crimea and he intends for Ukraine to be a permanent client state of Russia whoever has taken power in Kiev!

Putin is just calling the West's bluff. Talk of sanctions is just so much hot air as far as he is concerned. He is a pupil of Stalin ("How many divisions does the Pope have?") and unless the West is genuinely prepared to bring it's 'divisions' into play, he intends to do pretty much whatever he wants with Ukraine and possibly any other bordering state with large populations of ethnic Russians who may need 'protecting'. So Baltic States and others in that position...watch out!

Putin likes to play brinksmanship with the West. He is an old-style Russian autocrat in that respect. He will do whatever he feels he can get away with.

Ukraine is not a member of NATO. Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are. Putin tries to go after any of them (Latvia being the most likely IMO because of the already high tensions there) and you have war.

Ukraine still Hosting EuroBasket 2015, despite claim that they pulled out of Hosting, says FIBA. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/basketball/1018990-ukraine-still-hosting-eurobasket-2015-despite-claim-pulled-out-say-fiba - Source: Inside the Games.

The West could have avoided much of this mess in Ukraine if they were not so quick to support this clearly anti-russian regime. Ukraine has a significant minority of ethnic Russians and the new people in Kiev are pushing laws to limit the use of Russian language there. The minority obviously freaked out and went running under Putin's welcoming arms and there's Broken Ukraine. The West IS making Putin look as a mediator on this with a surprisingly low level of armed violence in Crimea.

God forbid this will degenerate into a Yugoslavia Breakup 2.0 with ethnic militias, genocides and a very complicated territory to organize later.

Credit where it is due, as much as Baron and myself have had disagreements in the past, I feel he contributes well. Just thought I would add, as I do like to give credit where it is due. Back to topic, overall, where do we now stand in the Crimea crisis?

Archived