Russia invades the Crimea... what happens next?

Ripley

Both Latvia and Lithuania have sizable (in comparison to the countries overall population) ethnic Russian communities concentrated in small areas along witht boarder with Russia. As does Estonia.

Ya, they should be scared. Insane to think Russia has invaded two ex-Soviet republics over the course of six years.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But ...... South Ossetia is officially part of Georgia, but Russia currently occupy the land - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18269210 - So Russia, could use this as an excuse to claim official ownership of South Ossetia.

Actually South Osetia is a no recognizable state under Russian occupation. Legally, South Osetia is part of Georgia, but de facto is divided between georgian government and "independent" forces.

But personally, I don't think Russia will invade SO now, especially with the defeat of Saaskavili party. The current georgian government is moderate with a PM linked with Russian oligarchs.

Ya, they should be scared. Insane to think Russia has invaded two ex-Soviet republics over the course of six years.

...which were both not EU nor NATO members, which the Baltic countries are. I sure hope Putin isn't so mad as to try and invade them or manipulate the Russian minorities there into a civil war.

Are they really? If the world truly goes to war, could the first games in South America be cancelled?

Oh FFS....

It's only getting worse...

Looks like the Paralympic Games are going to be cancelled.

All it takes is some BS post like this to get everyone fired up.

Well it's a possible scenario. A war between the West and Russia would not be a two year conflict, and I would not be surprised if it lasted until 2018.

They would never get cancelled. If the situation got too bad in Russia, they would move the event to a City with the necessary facilities already in place. It's not a possible scenario that it would get completely cancelled.

They would never get cancelled. If the situation got too bad in Russia, they would move the event to a City with the necessary facilities already in place. It's not a possible scenario that it would get completely cancelled.

Are you talking Paralympics or Rio now? Or even WC 2018?

Paras are too soon to be moved still, they will go ahead, I feel sorry for the athletes but noone will care about them now.

Rio is already distant enough from Russia, no need to move.

WC 2018, that'll be another brick around FIFA's neck. My sympathy for them is limited.

Are you talking Paralympics or Rio now? Or even WC 2018?

Paras are too soon to be moved still, they will go ahead, I feel sorry for the athletes but noone will care about them now.

Rio is already distant enough from Russia, no need to move.

WC 2018, that'll be another brick around FIFA's neck. My sympathy for them is limited.

I was talking mainly about the Paralympics. It was coming across to me that some posters were saying the Paralympics could get cancelled, when it won't. Paralympics 2014 would need to stay in Sochi. Rio 2016 won't be affected, I don't know why some would think Russia and Ukraine's issues can affect Rio 2016. World Cup 2018 was a shambles since 02nd December 2010, when Russia was awarded. It should of come to England. Anyway, to the main point, the Paralympics 2014 won't get cancelled.

I was talking mainly about the Paralympics. It was coming across to me that some posters were saying the Paralympics could get cancelled, when it won't. Paralympics 2014 would need to stay in Sochi. Rio 2016 won't be affected, I don't know why some would think Russia and Ukraine's issues can affect Rio 2016. World Cup 2018 was a shambles since 02nd December 2010, when Russia was awarded. It should of come to England. Anyway, to the main point, the Paralympics 2014 won't get cancelled.

Way to be nationalistic.

Russia per se is fine as World Cup host, given its size and some considerable football history. Get over that.

Still doesn't mean it couldn't get risky for FIFA depending how things shape up in the coming weeks/months/however long it takes...

Well the Rouble is tanking and the Russian stock market has fallen too. The Russian central bank reckons this will lead to inflation in Russia over the next months. The best way to get back at Putin is to impoverish his middle class supporters. The west needs a plan to protect itself from the backdraft of any sanctions and to implement a gradual tightening grip around Russian economic life. Nato should get some troops up to the Baltics, Poland and Hungary to show its serious about protecting its borders... perhaps a "military exercise" should be held.

Above all the EU should be united in its approach with emergency economic aid to Ukraine and a strengthening of diplomatic ties with the new Government. There should then be a concerted effort to reduce and eliminate any EU country's dependence on Russian oil and gas....there's simply no need for it with the world now awash with gas. Not saying the EU should stop using Russian Gas and oil but there should be limits imposed to stop countries' dependence on it. This would be a policy decision that should stick in perpetuity.

Germany's not going to do anyhting which threatens its gas, and the UK won't go for financial sanction as it might harm the City. Putin's pretty happy I would think. The best we've managed so far is no politicians going to the Paralympics and vague threats about the G8.

Yeah, its totally pathetic... unless something concrete happens soon I'll be embarrassed for Europe and the UK... the last straw in an otherwise dismal approach to dealing with a bully in our, albeit distant, backyard. Europe has slept walked into this hobbled existence.

Sochi was going to host the G8 but that's pretty much over now, Australia is hosting the G20, that will go ahead. There is every chance the Russia will have it's membership suspended in the meantime.

Russia is taking it's Crimea "Sudetenland" back which was pointlessly given to Ukraine by the then USSR in the 1950s. I don't overly have a problem with that, but a full invasion of Ukraine is a no no.

APEC was hosted by Russia last year and the mood was one of awkwardness as Putin was manly a frosty host to the English speaking members and totally ignored the Pacific Island nations. Delt manly with China s this is the only country outside the USA that could probably stand up to them.

In this current situation, China would be a good ally for the West to have about now.

Well, the G8 summit could become a bit pointless if 7 of 8 would decide not to go to Sochi. And in the current situation, I just cannot imagine they'd all group up and happily grin into the cameras there.

They could move it to Yalta though. Famous for a conference, and conveniently located on Crimea, by the time of G8 probably firmly a Russian territory.

Sochi was going to host the G8 but that's pretty much over now, Australia is hosting the G20, that will go ahead. There is every chance the Russia will have it's membership suspended in the meantime.

Russia is taking it's Crimea "Sudetenland" back which was pointlessly given to Ukraine by the then USSR in the 1950s. I don't overly have a problem with that, but a full invasion of Ukraine is a no no.

APEC was hosted by Russia last year and the mood was one of awkwardness as Putin was manly a frosty host to the English speaking members and totally ignored the Pacific Island nations. Delt manly with China s this is the only country outside the USA that could probably stand up to them.

In this current situation, China would be a good ally for the West to have about now.

Here in England (or UK) we can pose a threat to Russia. North Korea can as well. Germany.

Stop saying events like the G8 summit and Paralympics are being cancelled when they're not at this time. Shut up.

Thank You!

Here in England (or UK) we can pose a threat to Russia. North Korea can as well. Germany.

LOL! Now really...what kind of threat? And why would Kim Jong-Un want to get involved in anything with Russia, that's not his target at all.

North Korea is a joke. Russia would annihilate the country if they ever made any sort of attack. Germany has more leverage than the Brits do.

Archived