Sochi Russia 2014 Winter Paralympics Games Opening Ceremony

It is better than the old speech bubble type logo they had though. As Alex Brooker said on The Last Leg though, Russia's version of the Olympic rings would be rather apt for the Paralympics considering one part of it didn't function properly.

I think they're changing the OC script as we type. They're adding a "Ballet of the Invasion of the Unknown Soldiers." Audience members will then try to guess the nation; write their guess down and throw it into a big drum.

At the end of the evening, there is a drawing for a Grand Door Prize!

It's not a very DYNAMIC logo for performance. Just a series of 3 "hooks" floating hither-thither in space.

They will make a nod to the Opening Ceremony of the Winter Olympics by making one of the snowflakes turned hook, fail. :P

It will sure be an interesting ceremony, now that Russia is obviously heading into an armed conflict with Ukraine, only a few hundreds of kilometres away from Sochi.

I always thought that there's some kind of Olympic Truce that should actually be valid also for the time between the Olympics and the Paralympics plus the Paralympics itself, and even more so for the host country?

I always thought that there's some kind of Olympic Truce that should actually be valid also for the time between the Olympics and the Paralympics plus the Paralympics itself, and even more so for the host country?

Russia violated UN resolution 48/11 (Olympic Truce) once before, during the 2008 Beijing Games. They fought with Georgia over the province of South Ossetia.

Russia violated UN resolution 48/11 (Olympic Truce) once before, during the 2008 Beijing Games. They fought with Georgia over the province of South Ossetia.

Yeah, true. That makes the current behaviour by Putin's regime even worse.

Very enjoyable Opening Ceremony...Can't fault Russia when it comes to mass performance! Loved the icebreaker.

Held my breath as the Ukrainian flagbearer came in...but hey.

OK, quick thoughts on watching the online catch-up.

Icebreaker- oh yes, oh very much yes.

Cheeky virtual implementation of Beijing's printing-block concept in the floor projection.

Mostly more traditional than the Olympic OC, less storytelling, but by gum, they do mass-movement with true style and grace.

Still insisting on the isolation for the cauldron-lighting though; I hoped they'd come up with something novel as London did.

Nice understated Ukraine protest.

Archived