Rio 2016 Tickets

Guys I really need your help. I didn't realize the ticket situation in the united States was so dire and I really started to panic. My plan is to get some tickets to events less in demand in Rio but get big events in advance. Just didn't realize that I can only buy it from one place but they don't have tickets left!!! I have family in Canada but they have lesser tickets for the most part. I also have family in Israel but can't find Information about the tickets process there. At last I have family in Russia and they actually have tickets for all Gymnastics and athletics left. But from what I read they don't mail tickets and therefore my family won't be able to mail it to me. I don't know what to do. Is there other ways to get tickets. Other atrs I might have access to?

Guys I really need your help. I didn't realize the ticket situation in the united States was so dire and I really started to panic. My plan is to get some tickets to events less in demand in Rio but get big events in advance. Just didn't realize that I can only buy it from one place but they don't have tickets left!!! I have family in Canada but they have lesser tickets for the most part. I also have family in Israel but can't find Information about the tickets process there. At last I have family in Russia and they actually have tickets for all Gymnastics and athletics left. But from what I read they don't mail tickets and therefore my family won't be able to mail it to me. I don't know what to do. Is there other ways to get tickets. Other atrs I might have access to?

Its pretty easy really - friends and family that live in countries that include EU - so any EU ticketing agent, and then look at the list for multi agents including Cartan, Kingdom Sports, SportsWorld. Lots of tickets without packages can be picked up, just don't expect really high demand stuff unless you want to buy a package

Its pretty easy really - friends and family that live in countries that include EU - so any EU ticketing agent, and then look at the list for multi agents including Cartan, Kingdom Sports, SportsWorld. Lots of tickets without packages can be picked up, just don't expect really high demand stuff unless you want to buy a package

well i dont have friends and family in EU, i have some in russia but i'm really really worried about their process and that i wont be able to retrieve those tickets when i get to brazil (they still have tickets to all gymanstics and even athletics final, including the night with the 100m final)

Does anyone know where I can find the definition of "resident" for the EU purchases. I have a friend that just moved to Germany and will be there for at least the next six months. What type of documentation do they need to purchase from Dertour? Is an address sufficient?

Thanks

Also, it seems like there are a lot of events available on Dertour. Including some tickets for the Athletics finals? Are these legit? Based on what I've been reading shouldn't most of the events on Dertour be unavailable? (swimming, gymnastics, etc)

Brazil currency tumbles, but Olympic ticket prices stay put

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Some foreign ticket buyers for next year's Olympics are paying higher prices than they should, failing to benefit from the steep decline in the value of the Brazilian currency against the dollar.

Rio de Janeiro organizers reached an agreement a year ago with official ticket resellers outside Brazil to an exchange rate of 2.35 Brazilian reals to the dollar.

Since then, the value of the Brazilian currency has plunged about 70 percent. The current exchange is roughly 4.00 reals to the dollar, meaning that people paying with dollars should find some bargains.

But they're not. The fixed-exchange rate is staying put.

Brazil's currency collapse is creating havoc for local organizers, one of many financial woes besetting the Olympics that open in 10 months.

Brazil's inflation is running at 10 percent, and the economy is expected to remain in a steep recession through the games. There are calls to impeach President Dilma Rousseff, partly driven by a $2 billion bribery scandal involving state-run oil company Petrobras.

Local organizers are cutting costs in a tight operating budget, and they've declined to adjust the exchange rate for tickets, which would slash income.

"To balance revenues with expenditures, the (organizing) committee cannot be exposed to exchange-rate risk," Donovan Ferreti, director of ticket sales for the Rio Games, said in an email to The Associated Press. "Therefore the payment solution is based on a fixed-exchange rate."

Ferreti said ticket sales make up 16.2 percent of Rio's revenues, the third largest source of income for the 7.4 billion real ($1.9 billion) operating budget.

This is the budget for running the games themselves and excludes a capital budget for building venues, subway lines and highways.

Other operating income is from local sponsorships, merchandising and licensing, with a large contribution from the International Olympic Committee.

"We are cutting. This is a reality," Mario Andrada, spokesman for Rio organizers, told AP. "Look at the country. We have to be cautious."

Patrick Sandusky, spokesman for the United States Olympic Committee, said the USOC must buy tickets for its athletes at the 2.35 exchange. Sandusky said American athletes are given two tickets to each event in which they compete. Three years ago in London that amounted to 4,000 tickets.

"In the planning process for the games a decision was made to purchase the tickets in dollars so that we can better plan what our budget will be for the games," Sandusky told AP. He said the exchange rate may be poor, but it was certain and "eliminated the risk" of unforeseen changes.

Rio organizers have allocated 2.25 million tickets for sale internationally, about 30 percent of the 7.5 million total.

Here are examples of how the exchange rate affects ticket prices.

— A top seat for the men's 100-meter final on Aug. 14 is listed at 1,200 reals on the Rio website. That would be about $510 at the rate of 2.35. However, the price would drop to $300 under the present exchange rate.

— The top-priced ticket for the closing ceremony is 3,000 reals. That's about $1,280 at the old rate, but $750 under the current exchange.

— The most expensive seat at the Aug. 5 opening ceremony is 4,600 reals — about $1,960 at the old rate, but $1,150 as the present rate.

Ticket prices may not matter for those wealthy enough to pay these prices — plus flights and hotel rooms — but they illustrate the impact of the currency gyrations.

CoSport, which handles official ticket sales for the United States, Canada, Australia, Bulgaria, Britain, Sweden, Norway and Russia, requested an adjustment to reflect the falling value of the real, but was turned down.

CoSport, like others resellers, is locked in at a price set by Rio and does not necessarily profit from the poor rate.

Some of CoSport's revenue comes from being allowed to collect a 20 percent service charge on ticket sales.

Robert F. Long, the president of CoSport based in Far Hills, New Jersey, did not respond to several emails from AP requesting comment.

Ferreti, the ticket chief for the Rio Games, said exchange rates present a gamble.

He said authorized ticket sellers like CoSport were given the option of fixing the contract in dollars or reals.

"Some countries like Austria and Germany opted to pay the committee in reals," Ferreti said. "Others like the United States and Britain decided to pay in dollars with the fixed rate."

There are winners and losers, even before the Olympics begin.

AP

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2015/10/01/brazil-currency-tumbles-but-olympic-ticket-prices-stay-put/73148442/

Rio 2016 launches ticket resale program

Rio de Janeiro: Rio 2016 organisers on Thursday launched an official resale program for Brazilian residents with unwanted Olympic tickets.

The online service is designed to combat black market sales and will offer fans access to events that had previously sold out, according to Rio2016.com.

The program will allow sellers a full refund via the same format through which they paid, Xinhua news agency reported.

Only tickets bought on the official Rio 2016 tickets page - which is only open to residents of Brazil - are eligible for the resale program

Non-residents of Brazil can buy and enquire about reselling tickets through authorized resellers in their country.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/rio-2016-launches-ticket-resale-program-115100200092_1.html

MFC Dertour are totally legit. They did sell most of their good tickets in May but uploaded hundreds more in late July. These have been selling slowly and this is mainly due to their 90 delivery charge to other EU countries and their refusal to combine delivery.

I note the USA article posted by Gotosy which says they are paying for tickets in REALs but it seems they are selling at the high fixed REAL/ Euro exchange rate so they are making a killing on exchange. This makes their delivery charges and their policy of not combining delivery even more outrageous.

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets for the Olympic Games Finals Are Sold Out in Less than 30 Minutes

The most sought-after tickets to Rio 2016 Olympic Games were sold in less than 30 minutes on Tuesday (20), the first day of online sales through the website rio2016.com/tickets.

In this new phase, more than 2 million seats were available and approximately 240,000 tickets were sold to Brazilians until 6 pm (no draw required)In the previous stages, which involved draws in June and August, about 2.3 million of the 4.5 million tickets available were sold. The applications reached 5.2 million; that means about 40% of them have been completed.

The first sold-out match was the men's basketball final. These tickets ended on Tuesday (20) in about ten minutes.

Until 8 pm last Tuesday (20), there were no tickets available for sports such as swimming, tennis, judo, beach volleyball and the three gymnastics disciplines: artistic, rhythmic and trampoline.

Tickets for 18 of the 42 Olympic sports are already sold out as well as for the opening and closing ceremonies.

Football is the sport with the most tickets sold followed by basketball, volleyball, handball and athletics.

The non-availability of tickets on this first day does not mean that there will not be any more tickets for these sessions. Tickets can go back on sale if there are withdrawals.

Altogether, 518 of the 697 sessions were available at this stage. Events as the semi-finals and male and female volleyball finals, triathlon and a few tennis matches have not been reopened.

A new feature of the Rio 2016's website is a platform that allows people to sell and buy tickets.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/sports/olympicgames/2015/10/1696532-tickets-for-the-olympic-games-finals-are-sold-out-in-less-than-30-minutes.shtml

Thanks to gescober

Just add Cycling Track

Very happy, I wasn't able to get some in London and Beiging

Also I upgraded one of my Athletic Final, Was not happy with a category D, I now have a category B

I had in my basket a Diving final and a Beach Volleyball qual. but when I checked out I removed them

From Cosport Canada, yes we had acces for all Gymnastic and Diving sessions and I got everything I need

Swimming and Track Cycling were also available but you had to be very very lucky to grab some.

On 10 different orders, i got only one Swimming qualification session (no final)

Only sport we didn't have acces in Phase 1 and 2 was Soccer (but we get some later)

Hi everyone, I'm going with my dad to Rio for his 70th birthday! I feel very fortunate as I was able to connect with an old Brazilian friend who let me use her information to get some great tickets during the Brazilian live sale earlier this week...I have two questions for those with a bit more experience. In the mad dash to secure as many tickets as possible (apparently 120,000 were sold in the first hour), I accidentally clicked "senior tickets" for one of the Athletics events. Do you think we will be able to use these tickets to enter the stadium? It says we need valid proof and a) they won't be our names on the tickets (or any of my tickets for that matter) and B) even though father is technically a senior, we are not Brazil residents.

My second question is regarding ticket delivery. Does anyone have any experience with shipping from Brazil? the tickets will be sent to my Brazilian contacts address and we planned to transfer them via Fedex with a decent amount of insurance. I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to do this. If that package somehow gets lost, I'll obviously be quite devastated. I'll probably be a bit nervous about this until I have the tickets in my hands next summer. Thanks everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

There are some new tickets up for Cosport's US site. Not sure how long they've been there.

First Golf and Rugby tickets I've seen.

Cosport seem to released all our Canada allocation to other countries.

We had a lot of tickets available in a lot of sports few days ago and now, we have nothing left.

Since I got all I wanted. Hope you will enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...