Rio 2016 Tickets

I saw one on sale on e bay. How would they already have a ticket to sell? The description of the product was not even detailed to include dates, specifics on the events they were for etc. Very sketchy.

Nobody has anything in hand (probably close to a full year ahead of time), but you could feasibly know of extra tickets you have right now. I for sure wouldn't buy anything now, as ebay protection only covers 30 days. Unless you're dealing with a crazy reliable seller with plenty of ticket sales, it's way too much of a gamble to buy any tickets from eBay until the tickets are in hand...

On a random, but I feel important note about Olympic tickets:

I feel that one of the things to watch out for every Olympics is when the Holland Heineken House tickets go on sale. They tend to be ~$20 USD, and they definitely sell out, so don't delay.

During the daytime, it tends to be like a chill lounge, with TVs showing the events. Nighttime tends to be a fairly raucous house/frat party, with a wild celebration for any Dutch athletes who won medals. In Sochi it felt like every Dutch athlete had five, so it was a pretty crazy the two nights I was in there.

Ok... Here's an update regarding my planned trip, as well as the finances.

CoSport tickets are purchased for: Handball (Mens Prelim), Fencing (GM Match), Archery (Women's Finals), and Track (Men's 100 & 400 included). It all sold for close to $700.

At this point, I have close to $1,600 saved up. I had a lot more until I had to set some aside for more of life's unexpected events.

Any advice on what I should do in terms of seeking a flight and hotel? I know I'd have time to save for food and merchandise after the other two have been purchased.

ADW

I know zekekelso is good at giving travel advice. If others have good ideas, feel free to pitch in!

Any advice on what I should do in terms of seeking a flight and hotel? I know I'd have time to save for food and merchandise after the other two have been purchased.

ADW

I know zekekelso is good at giving travel advice. If others have good ideas, feel free to pitch in!

There is an accommodation thread too

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/18153-accommodation-for-the-2016-summer-olympics/page-7#entry478142

I saw one on sale on e bay. How would they already have a ticket to sell? The description of the product was not even detailed to include dates, specifics on the events they were for etc. Very sketchy.

It's possible that some non-rio based buyers will end up with spares in the next few weeks, but I'd always check their track record very carefully and as tickets are a long way off being distr

..distributed I'd probably only go with sellers who can prove ownership.

There is an accommodation thread too

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/18153-accommodation-for-the-2016-summer-olympics/page-7#entry478142

It's possible that some non-rio based buyers will end up with spares in the next few weeks, but I'd always check their track record very carefully and as tickets are a long way off being distr

..distributed I'd probably only go with sellers who can prove ownership.

At this point in time, there is no way I would pay a premium through ebay. Remember, the seller will need to pay ebay / PayPal about 13% to sell plus they want to make a profit. Why not wait to see what you can get via live sales in the coming few months. Also, even if the seller sends you a copy of the "invoice" what ensures that he will mail you the tickets or mail them to you but tell the ATR that they were stolen? There can also be an issue if the tickets were bought in Brazil. That is they had "senior citizen" tickets that were half price but they required that the holder be a Brazilian citizen.

At this point in time, there is no way I would pay a premium through ebay. Remember, the seller will need to pay ebay / PayPal about 13% to sell plus they want to make a profit. Why not wait to see what you can get via live sales in the coming few months. Also, even if the seller sends you a copy of the "invoice" what ensures that he will mail you the tickets or mail them to you but tell the ATR that they were stolen? There can also be an issue if the tickets were bought in Brazil. That is they had "senior citizen" tickets that were half price but they required that the holder be a Brazilian citizen.

I'm struggling with the concept that any fraudulent seller reports sold tickets as stolen, that seems to me a great way of them getting caught for fraud and ending up in jail, just in case anyone reading this even thinks of copying that idea. All tickets are traceable to whoever first bought them.

The local senior citizen thing, again there traceability and a massive penalty. Have you seen evidence of this happening at previous games?

If someone is going to con someone the history with Olympic tickets is the most common fraud is an anonymous website try to sell you a ticket they don't have or ever plan to have, hence why whatever the non ATR source you'd need to check their background and your protection if it goes wrong. Eg you could use an escrow.

For newbies: never use a non-authorised website claiming to have lots of tickets. That is the most common type of fraud as far as I know. During London 2012 a lot of these websites popped up, a lot of them got caught by the Police.

At this very early stage you are better off using the official ballots anyway.

I'm struggling with the concept that any fraudulent seller reports sold tickets as stolen, that seems to me a great way of them getting caught for fraud and ending up in jail, just in case anyone reading this even thinks of copying that idea. All tickets are traceable to whoever first bought them.

The local senior citizen thing, again there traceability and a massive penalty. Have you seen evidence of this happening at previous games?

If someone is going to con someone the history with Olympic tickets is the most common fraud is an anonymous website try to sell you a ticket they don't have or ever plan to have, hence why whatever the non ATR source you'd need to check their background and your protection if it goes wrong. Eg you could use an escrow.

For newbies: never use a non-authorised website claiming to have lots of tickets. That is the most common type of fraud as far as I know. During London 2012 a lot of these websites popped up, a lot of them got caught by the Police.

At this very early stage you are better off using the official ballots anyway.

Remember, there are a lot of dumb people in the world. They do something thinking they will never be caught (like people who rob banks knowing that there are cameras all over the place).

Remember, there are a lot of dumb people in the world. They do something thinking they will never be caught (like people who rob banks knowing that there are cameras all over the place).

True there are dumb people but what's the evidence these specific scenarios (cancelled tickets being sold, OAP tickets) actually happen at Olympics? I don't recall it actually happening that much, if at all with Olympic tickets, My concern is you might be raising worries that aren't real risks or giving stupid fraudsters reading this forum new ideas.

International buyers wanting to dispose of spare tickets have no other way other than trading them with fellow fans, it happens at every Games. So we shouldn't completely put new people off that potential source. Especially for the US buyers who have a particular challenge here as they only have one main source (Cosport).

When we went to the Vancouver Olympics, we had to take a bus up to the snow venues. I saw people who were denied entrance because they had bought their tickets from either a ticket agency and/or Ebay and they were refused entrance because their tickets were reported as stolen. I am not saying that it happens all the time but it does happen. I also saw people that had bought tickets from ticket agencies but the agency did not actually have the tickets so they wound up at the last minute looking for tickets and having to fight to get their money back from the agent.

The key is to protect yourself and make sure you get as many assurances as possible if you buy from an unknown source. I have bought tickets on Ebay and had absolutely no problem with the seller. I did have an issue in London where the seller was shipping to my hotel in London (due to late distribution of tickets) and the hotel chain decided at the last minute to not accept any parcel deliveries for guests (security concerns). But it all worked out due to the concierge working to find the package after the hotel had refused it.

Bottom line is to take as many cautions as possible.

You can definitely report your tickets as stolen, and they'll be deactivated, but as they can't be replaced (supposedly anyways), there would be no reason to deactivate them after the sale, unless you had pure hate in your heart. It might be a factor in Rio on the street, but on eBay you're much more likely to run into the scammer who never sends anything.

Scoobie, in Sochi, it happened to me twice with tickets sourced from Cosport. They claim that the Sochi organizers got cancel happy. If anyone was curious, Cosport president Robert F Long is the guy who responds if you file a BBB report, haha.

As far as the senior tickets etc, 95% of the time no one will care. At last year's World Cup I watched the guy in front of me WALK IN with a wheelchair ticket...

Ok... Here's an update regarding my planned trip, as well as the finances.

CoSport tickets are purchased for: Handball (Mens Prelim), Fencing (GM Match), Archery (Women's Finals), and Track (Men's 100 & 400 included). It all sold for close to $700.

At this point, I have close to $1,600 saved up. I had a lot more until I had to set some aside for more of life's unexpected events.

ADW

I'm going assume that you live in the United States. When the plane tickets come out, there will likely be no award availability at the saver rates, and tickets starting in the $1500/2000 range depending on where you're coming from. It'll be a bit tighter than London, simply because there aren't as many regularly scheduled flights, with comparable demand. Most of the time, near into a big event like the Olympics, the prices will sag to at or below the normal rates due to flagging demand, but it would suck if this was the one time everything sold out . One thing to keep in mind is that flying into GRU and buying a cheap national flight to GIG or SDU could save you hundreds (I did this for Carnival)

Historically, the GIG airport has a strange footnote in that the ATM machines are constantly being hacked and thousands of people at various times have reported having their credit cards cloned due to GIG ATM use.

Hotel rooms are the biggest x factor. In Sochi the cruise ships were a very affordable hotel room alternative.

The big thing is to save as much money as possible. No one ever says, "I wish I didn't save this much money! I have too much left over!"

• Like 1

Anybody tried through Kingdom sports ?

This is what I was suggesting earlier - everyone in the EU going from agent to agent and these guys have heaps of tickets all selling now. I know people living in 6 of the countries they sell to and when there is over 40 they are the easiest to deal with

I just wanted to say kudos to ATP for putting together packages that aren't eye gougingly awful...

http://www.atpi.com/rio2016/olympic-games/packages-rio/santa-teresa/

$1500 KLM direct flights (looking in 2015, so higher with demand probably)

$100 airport transfers

$600 for a hotel, estimating that $300/night would be reasonable for the Olympics

$1000 tickets to women's hockey final (one of Holland's best medal hopes), Equestrian final, W basketball bronze, w handball final (big in Europe) and the m volleyball final (one of the hardest tickets in the Olympics to find)

So you've got a total of $3,200 per person, and given the possibility of increases in airfare for the Olympics, and the difficulty to source these specific tickets, I actually think these tickets are bargains for casual fans. It really is a shame that Cosport can't provide similar value, and instead opts for the $200 ticket plus $1300/night hotel route...

I was able to secure a lot of good tickets on the Canadian site, including beach volleyball prelims and medal matches for Judo, Fencing, Diving and Archery. I inadvertently got a set of handball tickets that conflict with another event. How hard will those be to sell (at face value) when I get there?

I was able to secure a lot of good tickets on the Canadian site, including beach volleyball prelims and medal matches for Judo, Fencing, Diving and Archery. I inadvertently got a set of handball tickets that conflict with another event. How hard will those be to sell (at face value) when I get there?

I would highly recommend trying to sell them before going, as you don't want to be mistaken for scalping in Brazil...

Handball is hit and miss. If you get a game with Germany, it'll be easy to get rid of, but two unpopular teams and you'll likely have to take a loss.

That is exactly my biggest concern for the idea of buying tickets so long time in advance. Not that I´m planning this games, but I will save up for 2024 hopefully in Europe, and therefore i follow this topic. But also when it comes to football championschip... How can you sell all tickets to matches or competition when you don´t know who plays. I have always thought that maximum 50% of a match could be sold in advance, the rest with 25 for each competitor for a period, and then open for all. Or perhaps 70% in advance and then 15% for each or something... The same with an Olympic Games. I would love to Watch some danes compete, for example in handball. But it wont be possible to know when they are playing when we buy tickets long time before we know the matches. What do others do?
Or is the games it self that matters, and you don´t care about following your own athletes?

In 2024, people are probably still going to have a voracious appetite for sporting events, and tickets are only likely to be harder to come by. This is doubly true if it ends up being in a sports loving country like the United States. The host nation will always end up getting the vast majority of the tickets as they're most likely to come.

Your 50/25/25 allocation idea doesn't work specifically because of countries like Denmark. Smaller countries often don't have enough fans to guarantee 4,000-20,000 fans a game, especially should Denmark qualify in a sport they're not traditionally good at, like rugby. The IOC is dedicated to selling as many tickets as possible, and the mystery tickets result in diehard fans of the sport buying random tickets in hopes of getting the dream matchup that would be hard to buy once the matchups were known. I personally did this in Sochi to make sure I got into Russia/USA in ice hockey, but as a huge ice hockey fan, I enjoyed the Sweden/Latvia matchups too.

The good news for you as a fan of sport, is that Denmark tickets don't have the same competition from other fans in the country that say USA Basketball or New Zealand Rugby would have to have, so you could most likely get tickets at a more reasonable cost. If you want to go to the Olympics and watch team sports, I think that you should be able to acquire Denmark tickets at the easier end of any of the teams. You guys only need to worry about producing another Peter Schmeichel.

Oh, also, Cosport seems to finally have gotten ahold of some football/soccer tickets. My Canadian based former boss was able to snag me a ticket to the men's gold medal match. I'm happy, but a touch melancholy because it means I'll have to figure out a way to get rid of my men's water polo gold ticket as it's at the same time...