Rio 2016 Tickets

Accor will not have any rooms available

To book a room now you need to book Olympics and Paralympics and cities outside of Rio as well as a preference for rooms for test events. I was enquiring for a group of 5 rooms and that is what was sent out. Then they have a wait list of every ATR and official operator

Accor will not have rooms for the public

Hi Cece,
If you really want to go for Olympics, go all out and try to get those tics. Try for Dutch ATR on Monday, Kingdom sports is opening live sale tomorrow (They are selling in 43 nations, if you have friend in any 1 of those countries who will be willing to give you their details), Brazil draw in July and all the sales which will come in the future.
You are lucky to book your hotel already, where so many are struggling with it.
Flights usually open only 11 months in advance, so at least you can try to secure tics till then. If you bag some imp tics, then you can go and book your flights. At least you should try everything till flight rates increases.

Imagine I don't even have an ATR in my country who is selling tics. I tried everything possible, and even got 200 meters men's final. I wanted TE026 badly, and contacted a very old school friend in UK who I've not spoken in yrs. And in German ATR, tried for 3 hrs but no success. After 15 hrs, I got a confirmation that I've got the B category. I'll take it and will still try to get A cat.

I contacted at least 30 hotels, all said they are full and my hope was on Accor hotel. But after reading above views, I'm really worried. So you've got 1 hurdle crossed to live your dreams of seeing Olympics.

My friend and I booked an apartment close in Bara using booking.com. Its a 2 bedroom, one with a double bed and one with a single... so as it gets closer to the games if there's anyone looking to crash in the room with the single bed we'd be happy to host you and split costs!

Also, I just went to a flee market in Israel recently & found some Olympic pins from Russia's 1980 :-p So we'll be adding some pin trading into the Olympic fun-ness!!!

I don't have any EU contacts that I feel comfortable asking but I am a dual Canadian citizen and have many contacts there. Is it any easier through Canada and can the expenses be charged to a US credit card or do they need to pay and I reimburse them?

This is the thing about Olympic hotels:

It's all a high dollar game of chicken. London and Sochi were both filled with doomsday, Y2K level doubters who spoke of hotels literally being sold out for the Olympics. In both cases, on the ground, they turned out to be underfilled, with hotels going below the rack room rate, let alone the special event rate.

Is it possible that all hotels in decent areas get sold out? YES! Is it probable that if you wait til the IOC lifts its room blocks, that there will be plenty available at moderate prices? YES!

My experience this year for Carnival, was that everything was booked up, and then two weeks before the start, prices dropped hard, and I gave up my $200/night 2* hotel downtown for a $150/night 4* hotel on Copacabana.

I would recommend not stressing out too much. If you see a hotel open up that you're comfortable with the price and location of, book it. The one caveat I would add, is to not be set on staying in Barra. That will be held closest by the IOC, and potentially may never open up. While it's not as good logistically for travel, I highly recommend Lapa as a district that's less recommended, especially if you're young. There's a lot of really nice bars, restaurants and other nightlife here. It was really hopping during Carnival, and I'm sure it'll be the same for the Olympics.

I don't have any EU contacts that I feel comfortable asking but I am a dual Canadian citizen and have many contacts there. Is it any easier through Canada and can the expenses be charged to a US credit card or do they need to pay and I reimburse them?

So first of all, it's still Cosport, for what that's worth.

As someone who's lived in Canada before, I didn't have any issues with having my US bank switch my billing address over to Canada, so payment shouldn't be an issue.

As to whether it's "easier", I checked round two from my friend's account, and the availability of sessions was probably 66% of that of what the US had available, but I would imagine there's probably a lot less demand for the Summer Olympics there than in the United States.

-Doubting the ticket buying prowess of Volshy

Hey drupha,

that's really kind, but I'm a little misunderstood to be honest - there are WAY more experienced and prolific ticket-buyers than me - way, way more. All I've done. along with several key others [*waves to Matt* :-) ] is to be free with information regarding key ATR sales.

:-)

I really apprecaite everyone's input and information on this.

Sounds like I'm too late for the German ATR if what's gone is gone and they've been open for a while.

I know someone who knows a Brazil resident-so I was thinking of trying for the resident live sales when they option in October (not the non-resident as that may be too close to the games to make travel arrangements). Again, I'd have to rely on someone I know into getting someone I don't know to facilitate the sale. Iffy.

(snip)

I'm not totally ready to give up yet, but my expectations have been adjusted. I realize and have to accept that if I am not willing to be flexible there is a good chance I won't be going.

Hey cece

I have to re-iterate what several have said to here. If you really want to go and really want those GA tix, you'll get them. And not necessarily from scalpers.

Re: more official sales, there's a LONG LONG way to go yet, but they key thing for you is be a little flexible re: deciding on your travel plans.

Kavita was right about the next sale in Europe - HOLLAND on Monday, in the morning (Dutch time - say 09:00 CET, so, 03:00 EST - possibly!)

Your contacts in Germany will legally be allowed to buy tickets in that Dutch sale. No problem whatseover - UK fans bought from the Dertour/German sale this week.

And DON'T GIVE UP on Dertour - they'll have other sales over the next 12 months. As will the Dutch, Spanish, UK (Cosport), French. You'll require plenty of patience and persistence.

Cheers

John

Networking is key to getting Olympic tickets. The internet has made it possible to connect with other genuine fans who have access to other regional ticket draws or local in country tickets. Twitter for the first time played a part in London 2012. Genuine spares are tweeted in the close run up because there is often no other way to offload them. I expect the same to be true in Rio.

By the way the are almost no actual cases of people counterfeiting Olympic tickets in recent times. The tickets have protection built in, pretty much only one company in the world can actually print them. The counterfeiters get caught. What is common though is fake ticketing sites on the internet, the answer is just to use the accredited ones listed on the Rio site.

Question: I understand that if you have a counterfeit ticket you will not get into the venue but I don't even know what an Olympic ticket looks like so if someone mocks something up to sell on e bay how would I even know if it's not real?

• Like 1

I got GA11 Cat D in the first round through Cosport. But I'm in Europe and I think there is less demand for Gymnastics here. The US market is tough for gym because you have a good team

Wondering now if I should have tried for GA9 (the team event) - is that a better one than the individual do you think?

As for "the good stuff is missing" which someone mentioned a little earlier, Cosport are holding that back for packages, normally these tickets come free later in the process (If all the packages don't all sell).

Cosport know they can drop these tickets on the market later and they'll get snapped up. My guess is May 2016 this will happen.

You can see what they are holding onto by browsing their customizable packages, some of the packages let you choose pretty much any ticket (online now there is a GA11 CAT C which you can buy in a package for instance).

If I had to choose I would pick Team Finals GA9 over AA Finals. Team is an awesome event and while AA is the "premiere" medal to win most of the girls really treasure the team experience and it's got to be an awesome thing to watch the top countries battle it out. There will be less countries on the floor but really the best of the best from each country. AA finals is great though too as you will see several gymnasts from several different countries. As if I have a chance to choose!!! As stated they are both a hot ticket-very, very difficult to get. The draw for the preliminaries is done just prior to the games so you won't know too far ahead which athletes you will see in each sessions. Congrats on getting a GA ticket.

It would be easy to mockup a ticket on eBay because all you'd need to would be copy a photo of an existing ticket. There are cases of people pretending to have tickets when they don't. But that's the case with anything on eBay and there are protection policies built in. I know.from experience myself when I listed Olympic tickets in the past eBay checked with me that I had the tickets before it allowed them on sale.

Olympic tickets have holograms on them amongst other things. Once you have bought one you'll know what they looks like.

I was referring to the suggestion that con artists print fake Olympic tickets , that generally is a very low risk, and more.trouble than its worth

Cosport know they can drop these tickets on the market later and they'll get snapped up. My guess is May 2016 this will happen.

You can see what they are holding onto by browsing their customizable packages, some of the packages let you choose pretty much any ticket (online now there is a GA11 CAT C which you can buy in a package for instance).

Oh, and I meant to add. I checked out the packages again. In the beginning I dismissed them when I saw how pricey they were. For $5700 something each it does get me GA11, GA12, GA13 + two other events but oh my gosh is it expensive! It includes 5 days 4 nights. So that's 11k for ticket/hotel + more money on airfare. I wish I could afford to go that route. When the packages first opened there was I think a 2 ticket flex for $2900 I think that included a women's GA finals event as an option that I maybe, maybe could have swallowed but it must have sold out within hours. They were really crafty with the packages so that a lot of the popular events were part of larger more expensive packages.

So when I mentioned counterfeit tickets earlier, I meant more "bad tickets" in general.

As far as counterfeit tickets go, They're actually pretty counterfeitable. Sporting events in the United States are a lot of times the key targets of such things, so tickets will have a combination of foil and embellishments, holograms, and complex pictures. In London and Sochi, they featured small holograms and complex dot matrix patterns, but to the eyeball, would be counterfeitable if someone were so inclined. The non souvenir tickets that are printed at the grounds are extremely low in security features.

I went to the Champions League Final of football/soccer a couple of weeks ago, and upwards of 5,000 counterfeit tickets were floating around, delaying the entry by more than an hour. I had a real one, and when I was inspecting a counterfeit, differences could really only be spotted when holding them side by side. It was probably 97-98% accurate. (They also make the very curious decision to print the tickets on a paper stock rather than a card stock, making them very flimsy)

One of the very real things to worry about are "cancelled" tickets. In Sochi, I had two tickets that were purchased directly from Cosport that were denied entry when I went to scan in. It's a reminder that whenever possible, go to your event well ahead of time! What I learned is that while replacements aren't always given, tickets reported stolen can be remotely deactivated so that the ultimate recipient is denied at the gate (and possibly detained). In each case I had to call Cosport and let their Russian representative confirm that I had a real ticket, and a different ticket was than issued. Cosport blamed the Sochi organizers, and refused to refund my money despite the me missing half of both events until I went to the BBB. So yeah, one of the dangers is to buy a "real" ticket that won't scan in due to theft or some bureaucratic mess up.

So quick primer in choosing a scalper/tout. NEVER EVER WIRE MONEY TO ANY INDIVIDUAL! I feel that should go without saying, but wiring money to an individual never leads to good things. Only consider wire payments to verified ATRs and reputable ticket brokers. Fellow fans are usually the best choice, most likely to give you a good deal, and less likely to rip you off. My ideal is to find someone ready to walk in, so I can walk in together with the person. Otherwise, find someone who's ok with you taking a picture of their ID in case something goes wrong. It often won't help at all, but it makes you seem like less of an easy mark. It'll scare some scammers away. On eBay, you'll always have people with 6 or 7 feedback selling $3,000 tickets, especially from third world countries. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champions-League-Final-Tickets-2015-Berlin-CAT-1-/111680038202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a00a6253a&nma=true&si=Znh1%252F0wVDrYHQu2dHIkGZw9SdJk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You're really going to trust $3,000 for someone with no history of selling anything, let alone expensive tickets, and they don't even post a picture of the ticket?

So in summary, in my opinion, if your main goal is to not get scammed, this is the order that I would go in:

1) ATR's/Sponsors

2) Ticket brokers with proven track records of making good (Stubhub lost millions making sure their Super Bowl customers orders got filled this year)

3) Fellow Fans (more scam risk than the best brokers, but likely better prices)

4) Ebay with a good track record

5) Craigslist (only because you can negotiate to meet in a secure location)

6) Off the street/In front of the venue (You start getting into legal risk, scam risks, mugging risks, etc)

Drupha, I agree with almost everything you say. Another caution for Ebay is that if a person is selling tickets now, he / she will not have them in hand for another year. Even IF the seller was to send you a copy of his CoSport invoice, you have no assurance that he / she will actually mail the tickets to you in a year. Sure, Ebay and PayPal do have fraud guarantees but it does not cover something that is bought now and not shipped until a year from now. Same with your credit card. Also, what would stop any 3rd party seller from claiming that the ticket was stolen and you are rejected at the gate?

So when I mentioned counterfeit tickets earlier, I meant more "bad tickets" in general.

As far as counterfeit tickets go, They're actually pretty counterfeitable. Sporting events in the United States are a lot of times the key targets of such things, so tickets will have a combination of foil and embellishments, holograms, and complex pictures. In London and Sochi, they featured small holograms and complex dot matrix patterns, but to the eyeball, would be counterfeitable if someone were so inclined. The non souvenir tickets that are printed at the grounds are extremely low in security features.

I went to the Champions League Final of football/soccer a couple of weeks ago, and upwards of 5,000 counterfeit tickets were floating around, delaying the entry by more than an hour. I had a real one, and when I was inspecting a counterfeit, differences could really only be spotted when holding them side by side. It was probably 97-98% accurate. (They also make the very curious decision to print the tickets on a paper stock rather than a card stock, making them very flimsy)

One of the very real things to worry about are "cancelled" tickets. In Sochi, I had two tickets that were purchased directly from Cosport that were denied entry when I went to scan in. It's a reminder that whenever possible, go to your event well ahead of time! What I learned is that while replacements aren't always given, tickets reported stolen can be remotely deactivated so that the ultimate recipient is denied at the gate (and possibly detained). In each case I had to call Cosport and let their Russian representative confirm that I had a real ticket, and a different ticket was than issued. Cosport blamed the Sochi organizers, and refused to refund my money despite the me missing half of both events until I went to the BBB. So yeah, one of the dangers is to buy a "real" ticket that won't scan in due to theft or some bureaucratic mess up.

So quick primer in choosing a scalper/tout. NEVER EVER WIRE MONEY TO ANY INDIVIDUAL! I feel that should go without saying, but wiring money to an individual never leads to good things. Only consider wire payments to verified ATRs and reputable ticket brokers. Fellow fans are usually the best choice, most likely to give you a good deal, and less likely to rip you off. My ideal is to find someone ready to walk in, so I can walk in together with the person. Otherwise, find someone who's ok with you taking a picture of their ID in case something goes wrong. It often won't help at all, but it makes you seem like less of an easy mark. It'll scare some scammers away. On eBay, you'll always have people with 6 or 7 feedback selling $3,000 tickets, especially from third world countries. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champions-League-Final-Tickets-2015-Berlin-CAT-1-/111680038202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a00a6253a&nma=true&si=Znh1%252F0wVDrYHQu2dHIkGZw9SdJk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You're really going to trust $3,000 for someone with no history of selling anything, let alone expensive tickets, and they don't even post a picture of the ticket?

So in summary, in my opinion, if your main goal is to not get scammed, this is the order that I would go in:

1) ATR's/Sponsors

2) Ticket brokers with proven track records of making good (Stubhub lost millions making sure their Super Bowl customers orders got filled this year)

3) Fellow Fans (more scam risk than the best brokers, but likely better prices)

4) Ebay with a good track record

5) Craigslist (only because you can negotiate to meet in a secure location)

6) Off the street/In front of the venue (You start getting into legal risk, scam risks, mugging risks, etc)

Such boring bullsh*t!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Hello All,

Just joined the forum...based in the UK and haven't managed to get any tickets yet :( .

I'm interested in men's hockey tickets - quarter finals, semi-finals and finals...checked the Dutch ATR(ATP) a little late and they are either all gone or there wasn't much available according to Martjin's comments !

You wouldnt buy eBay tickets now of course, I doubt there are many yet anyway. This is for this time next year.

I saw one on sale on e bay. How would they already have a ticket to sell? The description of the product was not even detailed to include dates, specifics on the events they were for etc. Very sketchy.