Rio 2016 Tickets

Thanks for the input everyone. We need to talk more, but as I suspected, my husband is not really comfortable with just having two sets of tickets, and we both think it sounds like too much trouble to make sure we get more. I especially feel that way, since this stuff always falls to me! I'm in a new job and career this year, so I can't really spend my time haunting Cosport's site. We're leaning towards no :)

Thanks for the input everyone. We need to talk more, but as I suspected, my husband is not really comfortable with just having two sets of tickets, and we both think it sounds like too much trouble to make sure we get more. I especially feel that way, since this stuff always falls to me! I'm in a new job and career this year, so I can't really spend my time haunting Cosport's site. We're leaning towards no :)

Hi fantome

Please don't give up just yet.

Where are you based? Cosport may not be your only option. If you have any friends/family/contacts in Europe then you have LOADS of opportunities to buy tickets from any number of the IOC Authorised Ticket Resellers (ATRs).

If you have any questions, just ask. Or get onto Twitter and tweet with the hashtag #2012Tweeps and we'll find you :-)

Cheers

John

Hi fantome

Please don't give up just yet.

Where are you based? Cosport may not be your only option. If you have any friends/family/contacts in Europe then you have LOADS of opportunities to buy tickets from any number of the IOC Authorised Ticket Resellers (ATRs).

If you have any questions, just ask. Or get onto Twitter and tweet with the hashtag #2012Tweeps and we'll find you :-)

Cheers

John

Thanks for the info John... I'm trying to get some tickets from Detour now, but do have a friend in London who is helping :) SO def gives more options!! fingers crossed! Do you know who the next ATR for EU countries is to relase tickets?

• Like 1

My husband and I just doesn't really want to invest the time and energy in playing this game of trying fifty different ways to get tickets. We want a vacation that's easier to plan.

We're in the U.S. And really don't want to bother with eBay, stalking Cosport orTwitter or whatever, or trying to trade with people. :(

Oh and I don't know anyone abroad who I'm close to enough to do this for me.

My husband and I just doesn't really want to invest the time and energy in playing this game of trying fifty different ways to get tickets. We want a vacation that's easier to plan.

We're in the U.S. And really don't want to bother with eBay, stalking Cosport orTwitter or whatever, or trying to trade with people. :(

Oh and I don't know anyone abroad who I'm close to enough to do this for me.

I mean, no one here is going to take pity on you because you don't want to put the work in, but it's very manageable if it's something you want to do. Grind and shine!

I would need my husband's buy in for the hard work, and I just don't have it. He calls it a game and doesn't like doing any planning that requires so much watching and waiting and pouncing. And I'm too new to my job and career to spend the next year haunting the Internet like I'd need to.

Oh, and I wasn't looking for pity. I'm more sad for all of us that it takes so much effort. I didn't realize how luck we were to get three sets of tickets off the bat last time; it probably gave us a skewed perception, but maybe because we were happy with only three since it was our honeymoon. We had a lot of other stuff planned.

If I happen on a time when cosport is selling a lot of different tickets at once and manage to snag, say, three or four sets, we might change our minds. But we're throwing back what we have because we're simply too risk averse to plan around having two things in hand. If other people aren't that risk averse, great for them. But we like our annual trip abroad to be a source of excitement and fun, not stress.

"Demand for almost all events significantly exceeded available inventory. CoSport will continue to seek additional event ticket inventory from the Organizing Committee to ensure fans the greatest opportunity to attend the Rio 2016 Olympic Games."

So I think now it'll be just checking in daily starting from the 19th to see if anything opens up, but they may not even do a techincal live sale start date, who knows?!

"Who knows?" is exactly the right approach to take with CoSport. I certainly wouldn't count on their statement "shortly after the Ticket Request Confirmation Phase concludes, any remaining Individual Ticket inventory will be made available for sale on a first come, first served basis" to mean that open sales will start on the 19th or any date that's really "shortly" after that. I sure wouldn't count on many, or any, premium tickets to be available at this point. For 2012, within a few hours of the open sale starting there was a long period when there was almost nothing available on their site but a few preliminary handball and boxing tickets.

"CoSport will continue to seek additional event ticket inventory from the Organizing Committee" means, among other things, that they're waiting to see what NOCs don't sell their allotment and turn them back. That will create another release of tickets. Those of us who went to London received tickets marked for several 3rd world Olympic Committees, as well as a number of corporate sponsors. And after CoSport closes sales of their tours (which I believe happens next July) expect many more tickets to be released.

Oh, and despite someone's childish words (really?), thanks zeke for staying on top of things and being both helpful and informative.

• Like 1

Al in NYC, The OC found out about CoSport reselling tickets from a number of sponsors and CoSport got in a lot of trouble for it. Don't think they will do that again.

Fantome14, I can fully understand not wanting to put in the effort getting the tickets. It all depends on how "important" the Olympic games are to you. For some of us, we really want to go and we have the time / $ to make it happen. In our case, we have a couple of set of tickets for events that are OK - by far not our first choice. However, we have been to 4 different Olympic games (including Sochi) and feel that the effort we put in is all worth it. Unfortunately we don't have close friends in Europe so that avenue is out for us. We will be watching CoSport / Ebay / twitter very closely to see what additional tickets become available.

Again, everyone puts a different emphasis on the Olympics.....if you want an "easy" overseas trip then the Olympics are not for you. Too hard to get tickets and hotel rooms - but for others it is what we really want to do.

• Like 1

Honestly, I am mad that Cosport didn't e-mail us about the first round of tickets. Maybe between the two rounds we'd have scraped up enough tickets to be satisfied. We loved going to London, and my husband loved going to Sydney before that. I proposed an alternate vacation we're more excited about--I usually put in a lot of effort in planning, while my husband just likes to show up in a place and wander around. We don't vacation to relax so much (we're very active), but over a year of work put in with an uncertain outcome is the sticking point here.

I'll be keeping an eye on the forum for advice so we can do better in the future, maybe for Tokyo. Maybe by then we'll feel flush enough to opt for a package, but we find them too expensive and restrictive right now.

I think that by you continually showing back up here, you subconsciously really want to go ;). If the only thing stopping you is another few sets of tickets, I wouldn't worry about it. Buy the equestrian if you like horses, and lean back and let it happen. Dertour in Germany have 120 sessions/ticket categories available in volleyball alone, well after their first come first served event started, meaning that if you're just looking to see some events, supply should outstrip demand, and you won't have any problems once cosport starts giving up on some of their packages.

#Believe

Part of the fun is the excitment of when you do secure an event you wanted (just snagged AT011 today!!! woohoo!) and the anticipation of the games. But I def see how people may not have the time, patience or money (took me 3 hours to finally book one set of tickets from Dertour this morning) This is a bucket list thing for me, and I will be there for the entirety of the games and hoping to see as many events as I can. However, swimming is the one I'm most passionate about seeing but have yet to book any tickets to those events :-/

How does Dertour work? I see they are an ATR but can I buy them if I am not a German citizen? I do speak German so I can manage the site.

You can buy if you have friends in EU. You will have to enter their address, phone number and name. Then they can transfer payment ( I am not sure how it works, because I recieved a confirmation for payments, which is all German and google translator failed to transalte) to Dertour, and your firends can courier tickets to you.

How does Dertour work? I see they are an ATR but can I buy them if I am not a German citizen? I do speak German so I can manage the site.

Easy - because of EU law, any EU citizen can buy something on sale in any other EU country, including Olympic tickets :-)

Nothing to do with citizenship either. All to do with residency. So if you're Japanese, but living in Spain, you can buy tickets from Dertour in Germany :-)

And they have an English version of their website. If decide to buy, then I recommend choosing "transfer" and your means of payment. If you get an email from them with an invoice, that means the tickets are yours but make you sure you pay them as soon as possible.

Good luck! :-)

I'm in the US and have been shut out of both reservation phases. I have secured hotel reservations, but no tickets! If we can't get our hands on gymnastics tickets we aren't going at all. I think it would be cool to see other sports, but for me this trip is about seeing gymnastics and I probably don't want to spend the money on the trip for anything else. Who knows, 9 years from now if I still haven't been able to get gymnastics tickets I might say screw it and get what I can just to go, but that's not where I'm at right now. I do know someone who has a relative that resides in Brazil. I don't know how much I can count on that person to put me in touch to make it happen and I don't know if those chances are any better. My husband actually knows people who live in Germany. Maybe that is an option to explore. E-bay and twitter make me nervous. I hear stories about people getting scammed and there is just too much money on the line. According to cosport you aren't allowed to sell them so I am also paranoid that I'd get in trouble somehow for buying them on the internet. That leaves me with CoSport. People here are saying that more tickets will become available so I will keep checking and trying until it gets too the point where it's too late (expensive) to buy airline tickets.

I'm in the US and have been shut out of both reservation phases. I have secured hotel reservations, but no tickets! If we can't get our hands on gymnastics tickets we aren't going at all. I think it would be cool to see other sports, but for me this trip is about seeing gymnastics and I probably don't want to spend the money on the trip for anything else. Who knows, 9 years from now if I still haven't been able to get gymnastics tickets I might say screw it and get what I can just to go, but that's not where I'm at right now. I do know someone who has a relative that resides in Brazil. I don't know how much I can count on that person to put me in touch to make it happen and I don't know if those chances are any better. My husband actually knows people who live in Germany. Maybe that is an option to explore. E-bay and twitter make me nervous. I hear stories about people getting scammed and there is just too much money on the line. According to cosport you aren't allowed to sell them so I am also paranoid that I'd get in trouble somehow for buying them on the internet. That leaves me with CoSport. People here are saying that more tickets will become available so I will keep checking and trying until it gets too the point where it's too late (expensive) to buy airline tickets.

The problem is Gymnastics (and Swimming) have strong US fanbases, so you need to widen your search like you say. Fortunately, the capacity of the gym halls is usually large, though I don't know in this case.

The problem is Gymnastics (and Swimming) have strong US fanbases, so you need to widen your search like you say. Fortunately, the capacity of the gym halls is usually large, though I don't know in this case.

It looks like Brazil has already started their reservation phase for residents. The live sales begin in October and the tickets with home delivery request are mailed beginning in May 2016 onwards. I hate the idea of having to entrust someone else that I don't know to get tickets to us that close to the games when Airline tickets will have already been booked so that may be iffy. I'm asking my husband if there is anyone he trusts in Germany for us to use their address to mail tickets to in case tickets become available there. I can't find any info on how soon those tickets would be mailed.

I'll just do what I can do and see what happens.

Pretty sure the ship's sailed on Dertour. At least for Sochi, they put all of their tickets out there, and what was gone was gone.

If you're looking for something like the M/W team final or all around final, you probably will need to prepare to either get really lucky or pony up some serious cash. I know in London, for the men's team final, my friend and I were offered 800 pounds each outside of the O2 for C category tickets, and that couple was getting no takers. The women's final is probably 2x as popular, and much more pricey.

Another factor to take under consideration is that the Gymnastics arena is tiny compared to where it's normally held. In London it was in the O2 which is listed at a 20k person capacity. HSBC arena where the event will be held is listed at 12,000 capacity for gymnastics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venues_of_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_and_Paralympics Being one of the most popular events in the Olympics, probably half the tickets will go to olympic committes, sponsors, and various friends of the rings, leaving maybe 6,000 tickets for all of the fans around the world.

Brazil isn't going to be a factor for you, as it doesn't open up for non residents until June, and the chances that there are big gymnastics events left are pretty slim.

If you look back, I've been pretty positive about people wanting to go to the Olympics, and that tickets will come up, if your attitude truly is, "I only want to go for the gymnastics," and you haven't lucked out in the lottery yet, it's probably not going to happen for the four majors unless 1) You get very, very lucky or 2) You're willing to buy scalped tickets. I surely wouldn't book a flight based on the odds.

At the end of the day, the Olympics are always about supply and demand, and at the prices of the tickets, there's probably 100x to 200x the demand per ticket, so whenever they go on sale, they'll be near impossible to buy. You either need to be prepared to put in some fairly crazy legwork, or be willing to pony up some serious cash. I recommend you read through this entire thread to get an idea of the strategies and successes and failures that others have had.

To me, if you're really only interested in the one sport, you'd have a much better vacation going to a gymnastics world championship. The logistics of an olympics are a nightmare, and everything gets significantly harder, so if you don't enjoy it in its entirety, it's probably more of a cluster than it's worth.

First and foremost, I just want to say thank you to everyone that has been posting in this forum. I feel as though I've undergone an education as to ensuring I get to enjoy the Olympics in-person for years to come. London 2012 was absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to experience it all over again in Rio and Tokyo and wherever else in the future.

To cece:

I have been allocated a pair of artistic gymnastics tickets for both the morning and evening of Sunday, 7th August. Now I don't want to promise you a trade of any sort at this time, however in the spirit of #2012Tweeps, I do want others to enjoy the Olympics as much as I have or plan to. That said, I encourage you to keep trying for tickets and it's indeed very much possible you could eventually obtain some yourself, or even end up with something to trade for for the tickets you want (do only go for other things you are interested in though in case you're unable to make a trade). I think the idea behind prohibitions to selling the tickets second-hand is to discourage profit-making - otherwise it should be okay for parties to exchange to better match what they each other want from the Olympics (there's actually a 2012Tweeps story where the fiance of a rower was able to obtain tickets from an allocated party at face value with the relevant authorities privy to it).

I recommend you keep track of #2012Tweeps on Twitter - I am - at the least for upcoming sales; I believe a Dutch ATR is opening up this Monday. Like yourself, I'm in search of tickets - swimming and cycling track in particular. Perhaps something may come up that you can make use of.

I acknowledge that I am stranger to you and know I personally wouldn't trust the word of someone I don't personally know, which is why I don't want to promise a trade of any sort at this time. I simply wanted to raise my hand to acknowledge I will have on-hand tickets to artistic gymnastics, and am open to a reasonable trade to ensure someone else gets to see what they want at the Olympics - thus I can at least be an option for you, however far-fetched. Hopefully you can get something anything to the Olympics as to be honest, it's more than just about what you see - I went to water polo the last time and I still do the Hungarian chant I learnt when getting pumped for any sport ("Ma-ka-no!" for anyone curious).

• Like 1

A big factor is whether she'd be ok seeing any gymnastics at the Olympics, which is very doable, focused on artistic gymnastics, which is still likely doable, wanting to see finals, which would likely be a touch difficult, or focused on the big four, which will be VERY difficult.

Part of the difficulty is that Cece probably won't accumulate any traders because she's not planning on going without gymnastics tickets.

I am going with a friend and I mainly want Swimming, but have yet secured any of those, even qualifiers. But we decided early on to go for the full 2 weeks and just soak in what we can of the whole Olympic experience and support Team USA! My friend is the gymnastics fan,and she wants womens all around and team finals. We have secured 3 Gymnastic events (GA002, GA003 and GA006) and we have an extra set to GA002, so stay informed and as it gets closer I think you can find people to trade or buy tix from.

We made a detailed calendar or all the events we want to try and see... We have a random mix of other sports (basketball, fencing, table tennis, boxing) and even scored some amazing Athletics tickets. We have a budget and we are going with tickets but we both want one gymnastics and one swim final, so we will find a way!!!!

I'm still hoping for swim but you definately have to put in the work, and I was able to have a friend let me use their address in London so I can get tix through the other EU ATR's... I'll figure out some way to get my tickets once they are sent out. If there is a will, there is a way.... but from what I can see the tickets won't just fall in to your lap.