Rio 2016 Tickets

This is my first time trying to go to the Olympics and this is all new territory for me. I got 4 of the 48 requested on my account and 0 of 48 on my son's, who is going with me. After being shut out on the first round. I have to admit I was kind of stunned as we requested things like early round badminton and water polo. As we are committed to attending (when my son's father died, I promised a trip if he kept on the straight and narrow when he graduated from high school and this is the trip he choose), I am wondering what other options might be available. We are more interested in the Olympic experience--not the big name finals. It sounds like tickets just aren't available--and I want to be aware of any option we can pursue.

Everybody, just chill the eff out!

It's been well documented that Cosport is at its tightest in the early rounds while they're still hopeful to sell packages. London was by far the most demand of a recent Olympics, and there were still plenty of tickets to go around if you were looking in the right spots.

If your sole interest is going the the swim finals or 100m final, yeah, maybe you need to panic a little. But if you're just looking for preliminary event tickets, everything is going to be ok. Calm down. Relax. Be Patient. It's going to happen.

Thank you for reassuring me. As I said, this is all new territory and I have a commitment on a place to stay and a desire to fulfill a promise. I thought Co Sport was the only option for US citizens and also heard that scalping was going to be strictly enforced. So basically, stay calm and check cosport daily? If there are other options I will keep up on those too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not panicking, and I don't care about attending certain high profile events, but I DO have only a few days to accept whether it's worth it to take the tickets I've been allocated or not. So there is some urgency. I don't really want to deal with selling them down the road, especially as they're clearly not for in-demand events.

Without sounding foolish, how does it work on ebay? You just search the tickets and see what is out there? And fantome--if you don't use yours, I would be happy to buy them. No concern with high profile. Just want to go to the Olympics. But again, are there any ways to make sure that it is "legit." Have I mentioned this is a whole new realm for me. :-)

If you want to go to the games, particularly if you already have a place to stay, are doing this as a reward trip and are going there primarily for the Olympic experience, I say you should take the tickets. There will be more tickets available down the road, and probably even more available at the last minute or even once you're there. Also I've been to a bunch of Olympics and I have yet to go to one where there isn't word before the games from the authorities that scalping won't be allowed, and at every one there have been plenty of tickets available from scalpers (at the right price, of course). In any event, it will be an experience you'll never forget.

Oh, definitely flexible! I'd just feel better having one more set of tickets in hand (since I think we'd likely throw back one of the sets of dressage tix) before I commit. We're happy to fill our days with sightseeing if we don't get a ton of events. We just have to decide if the two events we got is enough to keep us wanting to go to Brazil instead of elsewhere with our limited vacation time.

Yeah just search on eBay. Some hard to get events will have a huge markup. But there are all sorts of sellers. Some people are buying tickets now but won't make their trip a year from now. Ask for photos of the tickets (obviously only closer to the time)

Cosport will have more sales , especially close to the time.

But again, are there any ways to make sure that it is "legit." Have I mentioned this is a whole new realm for me. :-)

Paulav, STOP advertising that you are "new" to this. That makes you a prime target for expert grifters. Pretend like you're an old hand.

And start stocking up on Olympic pins. Those could come handy in buying tix from scalpers or those who'd want to trade tix for much-sought-after pins.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

I see a couple people mention that Cosport is going live on the 19th. Is that verified? I know that you have to confirm your tickets by then, but hadn't seen that it led directly to a live sale.

If there is a live sale, it will be mostly scraps and bits and pieces. There will be a bit of quality for those with fast hands.

I see a couple people mention that Cosport is going live on the 19th. Is that verified? I know that you have to confirm your tickets by then, but hadn't seen that it led directly to a live sale.

If there is a live sale, it will be mostly scraps and bits and pieces. There will be a bit of quality for those with fast hands.

Yeah it says "Shortly after the Ticket Request Confirmation Phase concludes, any remaining Individual Ticket inventory will be made available for sale on a first come, first served basis."

Yeah it says "Shortly after the Ticket Request Confirmation Phase concludes, any remaining Individual Ticket inventory will be made available for sale on a first come, first served basis."

I wouldn't assume that means the 19th...

Semi related to ticketing: Have they said whether the credential would be needed again like it was at Sochi? I actually felt it was kind of reassuring when you saw people out and about in Sochi with it on, and was a good conversation starter, not to mention a good souvenir.

I felt that the positives outweighed the hassle with those.

Paulav, STOP advertising that you are "new" to this. That makes you a prime target for expert grifters. Pretend like you're an old hand.

And start stocking up on Olympic pins. Those could come handy in buying tix from scalpers or those who'd want to trade tix for much-sought-after pins.

What do you mean stock up on Olympic pins??

And in regards to cosport this is what was in their email....

"Demand for almost all events significantly exceeded available inventory. CoSport will continue to seek additional event ticket inventory from the Organizing Committee to ensure fans the greatest opportunity to attend the Rio 2016 Olympic Games."

So I think now it'll be just checking in daily starting from the 19th to see if anything opens up, but they may not even do a techincal live sale start date, who knows?!

No. Please stop being an idiot, saying idiotic things. You don't buy tickets, you aren't interesting in buying tickets and yet you are making posts that are 100% wrong is if you know something.

• Like 2

This is my first time trying to go to the Olympics and this is all new territory for me. I got 4 of the 48 requested on my account and 0 of 48 on my son's, who is going with me. After being shut out on the first round. I have to admit I was kind of stunned as we requested things like early round badminton and water polo. As we are committed to attending (when my son's father died, I promised a trip if he kept on the straight and narrow when he graduated from high school and this is the trip he choose), I am wondering what other options might be available. We are more interested in the Olympic experience--not the big name finals. It sounds like tickets just aren't available--and I want to be aware of any option we can pursue.

Hi Paulav,

Keep checking #2012tweeps on twitter, they announce details about sales of tickets as soon as they have. So it is a good way to keep track of things. Many of them are very helpful in answering your doubts. Also it would be great if you could find a friend in Europe who can buy tics for you. Under EU rule, a resident in Eu can buy from any of the EU ATR's. So possibilities are way more to buy tickets.