Rio 2016 Tickets

O

Sorry on there website here

http://www.rio2016.org/en/the-games/olympic/event

Under tickets it says 7 million tickets 3.8 million tickets will be under 30 bucks to popular competitions such as Athletics, Basketball, Gymnastics, Swimming, and Volleyball Our Goal is to achieve full stadiums and foster greatest celebration of the sport. Also it says 2 million tickets will be less than 20 USD

can't brazilians buy them and sell them (at cost) to intl'l buyers on ebay?

although i just realized, why would you waste your time selling something at cost. i don't think you're allowed to mark them up, although i did for my vancouver tickets and made $300.

• 6 months later...
Price list for Rio 2016 Olympic Games tickets to be announced at online event

RIO DE JANEIRO, September 13, 2014 - The Organising Committee for the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games invites all press to join an online event on their website (www.rio2016.com) next Tuesday, 16, at 4pm (Brazilian time - Brasilia – GMT -3:00), when prices for the Rio 2016 Games tickets will be announced.

The online event will take place at the pressroom on the Rio 2016 website. In order to participate, media professionals must be registered and use their login information (username and password).

Non-registered media professionals must visit the website’s pressroom and register until next Monday (15) – to do so, you should fill out a form and wait for your registration approval, when you will receive a password to access the pressroom.

http://en.olympic.cn/news/olympic_news/2014-09-15/2345501.html

CoSport are guaranteed a set amount of tickets prior to the local sales. So say there are a million tickets. The RioOC will distribute 700,000 for the public, 120,000 to the Olympic family, 60,000 t the media and the other 120,000 to CoSport/international sellers.

The local Brazilians cannot purchase tickets through CoSport (except when the Games are in Europe - the laws work different there) and CoSport splits their 120,000 between the countries they are the official seller for.

In Australia for instance you cannot (legitimately) buy any tickets for a Games apart from via CoSport - they have exclusive rights. They also add a substantial premium. For instance - I was lucky enough to get a B reserve Vancouver 2010 Opening Ceremony ticket through CoSport. Face value was $750 Canadian (approx $790 Aussie at the time). CoSport adds on premiums and fees so my price was $1200 Aussie ($1100 Canadian approx). Since I had no choice I paid it and enjoyed the show.

40-50% mark ups are average.

Vancouver tickets went on sale in November 2008. London I think was June/July 2011? Sochi delayed there sales and they started later in 2013.

Things could always be different for Rio, but based on the past four Olympics, here's what to expect.

There will be in initial round of ticket sales through Co-Sport. This will be well announced with plenty of publicity. Lots of people will try to get tickets in this round, so it's tough to get tickets for popular events.

After that, there will be several other official rounds of ticket sales. These will have less publicity and a better chance of getting tickets.

Then at seeming random times, Co-Sport will dump tickets on their website. You have to either be checking their website daily, of following a site like this forum to know when they do. You can pick up some tough-to-get tickets at these times.... but they are often sponsor/VIP/etc. returns... so usually expensive category A.

Rio 2016 announces ticket prices for Olympic Games with focus on making event open to all

Ticket prices for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games have been announced – and more than half of them will be sold at accessible prices in order to ensure that the event is open to everyone. About 7.5 million tickets will be issued and approximately 3.8 million of these will be available for 70 Brazilian reals (US$30) or less. Price ranges (in Brazilian reais) for all sports and ceremonies are available here.

There will be tickets for 717 sports sessions, covering all 28 Olympic sports, plus the opening and closing ceremonies. The range of prices is designed to make tickets as affordable as possible, with the goal of ensuring that the local population has the opportunity to attend events. The cheapest ticket will be priced at 40 Brazilian reals (less than US$20).

The announcement was made in a special digital presentation to the Brazilian and international media on Tuesday (16 September) afternoon. The full Rio 2016 Olympic Games Ticket Sales Programme will be unveiled in November 2014, along with the competition schedule and details on how the public can buy tickets.

The next step on the spectator’s journey towards participating in the first Olympic Games to be staged in South America will come in November. Fans from all over the world will be able to register on the ticket sales website and indicate which sports interest them. They will then receive tailored news and information on these sports and athletes, as well as other exciting events around the Games, as anticipation builds towards 2016.

Brazilian residents will be able to enter the first of two draws for tickets in March 2015. Non-Brazilian residents will be able to apply to buy tickets in their own territories in the first half of 2015 (details will be announced on the ticket sales website at a later date) and then again in January 2016, in the worldwide first-come-first-served online sales phase.

http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/news/rio-2016-announces-ticket-prices-for-olympic-games-with-focus-on-making-event-open-to-all

Things could always be different for Rio, but based on the past four Olympics, here's what to expect.

There will be in initial round of ticket sales through Co-Sport. This will be well announced with plenty of publicity. Lots of people will try to get tickets in this round, so it's tough to get tickets for popular events.

After that, there will be several other official rounds of ticket sales. These will have less publicity and a better chance of getting tickets.

Then at seeming random times, Co-Sport will dump tickets on their website. You have to either be checking their website daily, of following a site like this forum to know when they do. You can pick up some tough-to-get tickets at these times.... but they are often sponsor/VIP/etc. returns... so usually expensive category A.

Lets be honest - CoSport rarely offer anything apart from A and B seating options. With Beijing they had some C reserve Athletics options but little else. Having used CoSport multiple times I have never been offered a C category seat - especially not at the initial offer/"ballot" stage.

The "cheap" seats tend to come up - as you said - in the later, random ticket dumps.

Thank you much for that. For my planning, I'm figuring:

- Roughly 6 USD = 10 BRL using CoSport exchange rates.

- All E and most D tickets will be local only

Going just from memory, tickets in general look a bit cheaper than London, not nearly as cheap as Beijing. Some regional biases. Basketball and combat sports are relatively expensive.

My reading of the announcement is that there will be rounds for Brazillian residents, then rounds run through the NOCs/CoSport, then leftovers will be available directly through the RioOC for everyone. Gonna be some fun planning.

Thinking back, I've gotten lots of C's for ice hockey, but very for for SOG from CoSport. As you said, I had a C Athletics ticket in Beijing... and a really crappy seat for Judo in London (can't recall if that was a C, or just a crappy B). London really killed my budget as there most of what I wanted (including a brutally expensive Athletics ticket) were A only.

Thinking back, I've gotten lots of C's for ice hockey, but very for for SOG from CoSport. As you said, I had a C Athletics ticket in Beijing... and a really crappy seat for Judo in London (can't recall if that was a C, or just a crappy B). London really killed my budget as there most of what I wanted (including a brutally expensive Athletics ticket) were A only.

How many games have you been to?

I do vaguely recall C level swimming and diving in Beijing as well (and an uproar when it was leaked that there were a grand total of 12 seats for Australians at each session despite being a swimming power) - however the majority of 2008 venues only had the two levels either way.

I didn't see any c level ice hockey tickets in the Aussie allocation for 2006, 2010 or 2014. They may have had some in later rounds but definitely not in the first few. Oh well - I always budget on paying at least double of what the face value is. It's a bi-annual splurge so I just travel on the cheap to get to the Games and then cough up big bucks for tickets.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy