Your Sochi Verdict

Sir Rols

These will end up being the most forgotten games sports wise...Yet be infamously paralleled with Berlin 1936 as a political monstrosity.

In that respect Russia has failed and will probably NEVER be allowed to host an Olympics again.

And don't put it past FIFA to move 2018 elsewhere if the Ukraine crisis blows up into full scale War.

Pretty sure Russia won't soon forget these games sports-wise. Neither will the Dutch, among other countries. And no, this Olympics isn't even close to what Hitler offered the world back in 1936. Yes, the aftermath of these Olympics will probably be defined what's going on in Ukraine, but don't let that take away from the Games themselves which went off better than most of the world gave them credit for and if nothing else served to mask the ongoing issues in Russia. Plus, "never" is a long time. It might be a while before they host again, for a number of reasons, but I doubt we've seen the last Olympics of this century in Russia.

And I would be shocked if 2018 was in jeopardy. If FIFA moves a future World Cup site, I would bet that it will NOT be Russia.

The US and its allies will be allowed to host an Olympics again after unleashing an illegal war in Iraq.

For the sake of accuracy here, the war against Iraq didn't start until 2003. It was the war in Afghanistan that began in the months before the Salt Lake Olympics in 2002.

It's amazing how ridiculously and unabashedly biased these threads have become.

Welcome to GamesBids. After you've been around here for awhile, you'll quickly learn this forum breeds those kinds of opinions. Pretty sure I know why that is, too, but I wouldn't say it out loud here.

Louis, I saw your post above and want to say that the photograph of Jesse Owens is just perfect. He has always been one of my heroes.

...And yet the US government still tried to convict him in the 1960s for not paying his tax...West Germany stepped in and was about to hand over a cheque, suddenly the IRS dropped the charge...haaaa!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yeah. The Germans had a guilty conscience to clear. Duh!!

I don't know. You probably forget that Jesse Owens was the hero of the spectators at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin and that they celebrated him, very much at the dislike of Hitler. So even if the Nazis didn't like seeing him winning, he apparently won the hearts of the ordinary Germans. And after the Berlin Games, Owens always told his wife that he had a great time back then in Berlin. Therefore, Germany always had a rather sentimental connection to Owens, and he apparently had one, too.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 19/03/2014 at 8:31 AM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Certainly better than he initially had on his victory tour in the US.

I read that he was never received at the White House by President Roosevelt or even received a congratulatory telegram from him! :angry:

FDR is one of my favourite US presidents but I was always greatly disappointed in him for the way he ignored Owens!! :(

9 hours ago, Mainad said:

I read that he was never received at the White House by President Roosevelt or even received a congratulatory telegram from him! :angry:

FDR is one of my favourite US presidents but I was always greatly disappointed in him for the way he ignored Owens!! :(

US voters weren't ready for it then.

Mind you, there are still major problems ... http://www.nbc29.com/story/36947617/gerrymandering-documentary-viewing-informs-citizens-of-redistricting-issue

I think very few if any Olympics can presume of having wrecked the reputation of the event, overall speaking, like Sochi. 

As if scaring many cities from hosting the games and making them one of the favorite thing to hate these days thanks to the extreme overspending of money they did wasn't enough, this whole Doping scandal is going to also bring down even further the reputation and credibility of the Olympics.

Many say the quality of the PC2018 games is going to get badly hurt if Russia is disqualified, but in all honesty i rather have one Olympic games having a downgrade than all of the Olympics to come, which is going to happen if the IOC doesn't gives a strong message that such a level of cheating can not be tolerated today, or ever.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

bringing a thread back from the dead, but holy cow, were a lot of us wrong about the legacy thing in Sochi.  I dont think anyone could predict that Sochi could be turned into the success story as a resort that it has become.  It has gotten a bit of help in everything from sanctions to the coronavirus, but in summers, depending on the circumstances, there's reports of people being packed like sardines on the beach and rooms being unable to be found for under 300 USD.  The culture that was left behind from a tourism perspective has been well...........a resounding success.  Russians especially will be going to Sochi in significant numbers in summer and winter for years to come, and the head turning expenditures might actually have been worth it with the level of prestige it brought the area.  

2 hours ago, iceman530 said:

bringing a thread back from the dead, but holy cow, were a lot of us wrong about the legacy thing in Sochi.  I dont think anyone could predict that Sochi could be turned into the success story as a resort that it has become.  It has gotten a bit of help in everything from sanctions to the coronavirus, but in summers, depending on the circumstances, there's reports of people being packed like sardines on the beach and rooms being unable to be found for under 300 USD.  The culture that was left behind from a tourism perspective has been well...........a resounding success.  Russians especially will be going to Sochi in significant numbers in summer and winter for years to come, and the head turning expenditures might actually have been worth it with the level of prestige it brought the area.  

Wow. That’s a very narrow view about legacy and success.

It is hardly a sustainable legacy if it needs to benefit from Western sanctions and a pandemic to make it work. Sochi was already popular for local tourism before the Olympics anyway, and international tourism is obviously not really happening, so what exactly is the success here?

Potemkin village of the 21st century, all the money that was poured in was and still is financing a Putin vanity project.

And the biggest price paid the IOC (without wanting to admit it of course) because the reputation of the Olympics took a near fatal blow from this charade, not only for the cost but also for the doping scandal that will forever be linked to it.

purely from an economic and tourist perspective, its been successful.  It is raking in cash to a degree I do not think anyone in their wildest dreams would have expected.  I mean yeah the sanctions and steroids stuff is disastrous, as was setting such a precedent of making winter games unobtainable.

I should have said from an economic lens.  That's what I was mostly trying to get at.  Late night post, I was mostly trying to convey the economic/tourist perspective thing.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 7:31 AM, StefanMUC said:

It is hardly a sustainable legacy if it needs to benefit from Western sanctions and a pandemic to make it work. Sochi was already popular for local tourism before the Olympics anyway, and international tourism is obviously not really happening, so what exactly is the success here?

Given what else happened in the Black Sea area at the same time as the 2014 Winter Games, it's not unreasonable to assume that the developments at Adler and Krasnaya Polyana (both of which are quite a distance from the historic resort town of Sochi) were always intended to benefit from Western sanctions, and from a potentially drastic reduction in availability of Crimean resorts.

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Given what else happened in the Black Sea area at the same time as the 2014 Winter Games, it's not unreasonable to assume that the developments at Adler and Krasnaya Polyana (both of which are quite a distance from the historic resort town of Sochi) were always intended to benefit from Western sanctions, and from a potentially drastic reduction in availability of Crimean resorts.

Now that would be very cynical.

So yes, sounds absolutely possible as a Vlad tactics…

• 7 months later...

During games time it was great but a bit too much state sponsored dopping.

Crimea invasion makes the political score even higher though.

Sports: I guess it´s doesn´t matter that much/10

Global Politics: INFINITE(for bad or for worse)/10

Sport Politics: Well, i don´t think we need to rank this one to know it´s HIGH/10

Ceremonies: 9/10, all great! That failure at forming the fifth olympic ring at the olympic opening though... MASTERCLASS!

Overall Score: PUTIN/10!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...