GamesBids' Sochi 2014 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

Yes, because they have insisted on reminding everyone every time he enters the room at Sochi. Part of me suspects this is on his own insistence. :lol:

Hope this isn't an ongoing thing.

Did they do that reminder of the athletic credentials whenever introducing Rogge: "IOC president and former Olympian athlete in sailing" and so on? I don't remember so. It was getting pompous and annoying in this ceremony - and every bloody time in three languages.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree this really was one of the best Ceremonies ever (summer or winter, closing or opening) however, I DID miss a standard Closing Ceremony of fun and music---- where was the party for the athletes? This clearly was NOT about the athletes, it was just a second (albeit very beautiful) lecture on Russian culture and history ---- a sequel to the Opening . I don't mind this, but it has given me this odd feeling that something isn't finished, that these Olympics are not over. The Ceremony ended somewhat awkwardly.

Maybe the Paralympics will provide this.

I get the feeling the party was a closed off affair. lol. The website mentions it ending with a fireworks display and a party by DJ KTO. So maybe it continued somewhere else or after broadcast finished.

I get the feeling the party was a closed off affair. lol. The website mentions it ending with a fireworks display and a party by DJ KTO. So maybe it continued somewhere else or after broadcast finished.

The party was straight after the fireworks- I think the BBC were expecting it to be broadcast, since their commentators introduced it and then were cut off unexpectedly as the OBS feed ended!

The party was straight after the fireworks- I think the BBC were expecting it to be broadcast, since their commentators introduced it and then were cut off unexpectedly as the OBS feed ended!

Yes, it was a bid odd wasn't it? Some miscommunication there as it cut away and the BBC commentaors were still talking about what was going on in the stadium after the fireworks and whilst the OBS logo was on the screen.

I DID miss a standard Closing Ceremony of fun and music---- where was the party for the athletes? This clearly was NOT about the athletes,

It SHOULDn't be. They are just an excuse. .They partied enough already and the Motherland already spent so much for them. Time for the Motherland to make some plugs. All of a sudden, Putin, with a face that only a mother could love, now becomes one of my favorite world leaders!! :lol:

Ya almost got it right in terms of Party and Ceremony, Komrade!! ;)

So the music for the Rings portion was from the "It's a Wonderful Life" soundtrack, written by Ukrainian born Hollywood composer, Dmitri Tiomkin. (I wonder if they paid the correct royalties to ASCAP or BMI to use Tiomkin's music??) So Solzyhnitsin and Joseph Brodsky finally appear in the Closing WRiters' portion --but still NO Boris Pasternak -- who never really left Russia. How odd..

More CLosing details here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/olympics-close-with-tribute-to-russian-artists-and-a-little-self-deprecating-humor/2014/02/23/a8589f32-9cce-11e3-ad71-e03637a299c0_story.html

The good point for Bach is that he has non controversial hosts ahead of him for the rest of his tenure: Brasil, South Korea, Japan, Norway or Poland. Barring some major geopolitical surprise, or an odd choice for 2024, this is a smooth ride.

I've already seen petitions about Korea and their love of dogs... on the dinner plate. Animal rights will be the issue in 4 years time. Then probably Gay Animal Rights in 2022. ;)

I really enjoyed the closing.

I kinda like the athletes partying bit though so I missed that. Liked the referencing to Misha, that was nice.

It did feel a bit like an extension to the opening but I did rather like it. It gets a 8.5 out of 10.

The handover was just plain awful though. It seemed lost in that massive arena.

I enjoyed these games far more than I thought but Im very excited about Rio, bring it on

Archived