Men's Gold Medal Game Live Chat

Team USA

And have a little pride. I mean, if you lose a close game, that's one thing. Don't give the impression to the rest of the world that you completely mailed it in because the bronze medal isn't a big enough prize for you

And that might have done it. Sweden maybe could have gotten 2, no way they're getting 3 though

I was so torn with the bronze medal game. Finland is generally my 2nd team, but I like a few of the Americans enough to want them to get a medal. It certainly was disappointing to watch the USA mail it in, especially how well they played the previous 4 games.

And have a little pride. I mean, if you lose a close game, that's one thing. Don't give the impression to the rest of the world that you completely mailed it in because the bronze medal isn't a big enough prize for you

And that might have done it. Sweden maybe could have gotten 2, no way they're getting 3 though

I'm just stating the reality of it. Is anyone in the U.S. heartbroken because we didn't get bronze?

I'm guessing a couple months from now a lot of the players will wish they tried harder. I know when Canada mailed it in in Nagano, years laters a fair few of those players said they wished they had tried harder. Having the bronze in hand was better than the regret later.

I'm just stating the reality of it. Is anyone in the U.S. heartbroken because we didn't get bronze?

Probably not but at least it could have left a lasting image of winning their last game and taking home something in recognition of that. Instead, the lasting image we're left with is a 5-0 blowout against a team maybe they could have beaten. There are plenty of athletes heading home with bronze medals that are more than content with that result

Probably not but at least it could have left a lasting image of winning their last game and taking home something in recognition of that. Instead, the lasting image we're left with is a 5-0 blowout against a team maybe they could have beaten. There are plenty of athletes heading home with bronze medals that are more than content with that result

And athletes like Bode Miller, Steve Holcomb, Matt Antoine, and Erin Hamlin should justifiably be incredibly proud of their achievements. I just don't think it's easy for professionals who come from a winner-takes-all league like the NHL to produce their best efforts less than 24 hours after a tough semi-final loss. If anything, I'm really encouraged about the state of USA hockey. It used to be going in that the U.S. team had an outside chance and that all you could do was hope for the best. The state U.S. hockey is the best it's ever been.

Congrats on two in a row and three out of four, Canada.

Its never easy for anyone to get up for a bronze medal game, no matter the sport. And only 1 team sport is not professional at the Olympics now, curling. Everyone else comes from various professional leagues.

To tipify this, look at women's football in 2012. Canada suffered a crushing defeat in the semi-final, only to go out and win bronze and celebrated like it was gold. Even research says that winning the bronze is psycologically more meaningful than 'winning' the silver. The flippant attitude North Americans have to the bronze medal is telling of our collective culture and our attitudes to winning.

2002 was big ice.

It wasn't 100 by 200

To tipify this, look at women's football in 2012. Canada suffered a crushing defeat in the semi-final, only to go out and win bronze and celebrated like it was gold. Even research says that winning the bronze is psycologically more meaningful than 'winning' the silver. The flippant attitude North Americans have to the bronze medal is telling of our collective culture and our attitudes to winning.

Well, ya, the Canadians were pissed off at being cheated out of the final.

Was this actually shown on British television? I would have loved to hear British commentators calling a hockey game.

Of course it was, the BBC have shown about 500 hours of Sochi, they're not going to miss the ice hockey gold medal match!

For Sochi we've had a British commentator and a Canadian co-commentator.

I couldn't find a clip of the BBC commentary team from Sochi on YouTube. The closest I could find was this very short clip from four years ago...

Its never easy for anyone to get up for a bronze medal game, no matter the sport. And only 1 team sport is not professional at the Olympics now, curling. Everyone else comes from various professional leagues.

It wasn't 100 by 200

I don't agree that North Americans are flippant about bronze and silvers in general. We're the only ones in the world who measure total medals vs. total gold medals in the medal tracking tables. It's the specific circumstances behind a medal effort that matter. No one in the U.S. is going to celebrate a basketball bronze. But a U.S. men's water polo bronze? Hell yeah.

Archived