Legacy Mode

SkiFreak

A blog about the ghost city of Sotchi after WoG http://blogsochi.ru/content/mertvyi-gorod

Sotchi is the biggest fail since a long time for WoG

Way too soon to judge that. First, the coastal development will mostly be used in high summer, which hasn't arrived yet. Second, the theme park which will be a key factor in the coastal resort is only just opening this month. Third, the repurposing of venues is ongoing (remember it's taking years in London). Fourth, the mountain development will mostly be used in winter (though I would think it will get summer use too).

Check again in March 2016 and then we'll have a better idea of the success of the Sochi developments.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except that there is no proof that those pics have been taken only a few days after the Paralympics....

From my pov, those pics are from month before the Games... there is no was than in two weeks all the look and feel has been taken down....

And following the Games there is always month without people around venues, exept workers... as you need month to dismantle everything and reconfigure venues...

The legacy of Sochi is actually pretty good... They already organized an intenational event in one the venue (fed cup)... they will have a F1 race every year... they will have the FIFA World Cup... they will have a permanent ice hockey team.... they will turn into a velodrom one of the venue ....

Are you kidding me ?

http://www.slate.fr/sports/85251/sotchi-nouvelle-ville-olympique-abandon

http://www.atlantico.fr/decryptage/sotchi-deux-mois-apres-jo-images-ville-fantome-1035049.html

Many french and international news-websites and newspapers speaking about this problem. These pictures are true... Of course IOC would like to hide this point but Sotchi is the biggest fail in the history of WoG. Are you blind ? Everybody knows than IOC gave WoG to Russia without thinking, only because Putine promised money... But evrybody knows too than Putine nevers lies...

One match of Fedcup and after ? Usually for Fedcup or Davids cup countries select differents places.

Are there a link between Formula one and WoG ? I think not. Lot of countries build a track for Formula one without WoG or SoG.

Sotchi doesn't have a major football team to play in the olympic stadium... The stadium won't be used before World cup and never after.

36 billions $ for one hockey team ? Seriously ?

Russia build many venues that will never be used, like bobsleig track, Freestyle park, ice cluster etc. Only some members from IOC could trust the contrary. If you are honest Sotchi is a fail. But King Putine wanted WoG and IOC dogs gave him...

Just to be anal, Sochi continues to be a thriving city. It's the Olympic stuff in Adler that is unused. And I think you can say the post games legacy plans so far are failing, not the games themselves.

This is a big IOC problem, not just a Russia problem. Nobody needs this stuff.

Side note: On the flights to Russia, Aeroflot magazine had a big Olympic article. When talking about past games, they openly mocked Lake Placid for having a media center in the high school and turning the athletes village into a prison. Doesn't seems so dumb now, does it?

On the flights to Russia, Aeroflot magazine had a big Olympic article. When talking about past games, they openly mocked Lake Placid for having a media center in the high school and turning the athletes village into a prison. Doesn't seems so dumb now, does it?

The prison thing may have been mocking the US habit of imprisoning people (a greater percentage of the population than any other nation, if Wikipedia is to be believed).

Are you kidding me ?

http://www.atlantico.fr/decryptage/sotchi-deux-mois-apres-jo-images-ville-fantome-1035049.html

Many french and international news-websites and newspapers speaking about this problem. These pictures are true... Of course IOC would like to hide this point but Sotchi is the biggest fail in the history of WoG. Are you blind ? Everybody knows than IOC gave WoG to Russia without thinking, only because Putine promised money... But evrybody knows too than Putine nevers lies...

One match of Fedcup and after ? Usually for Fedcup or Davids cup countries select differents places.

Are there a link between Formula one and WoG ? I think not. Lot of countries build a track for Formula one without WoG or SoG.

Sotchi doesn't have a major football team to play in the olympic stadium... The stadium won't be used before World cup and never after.

Russia build many venues that will never be used, like bobsleig track, Freestyle park, ice cluster etc. Only some members from IOC could trust the contrary. If you are honest Sotchi is a fail. But King Putine wanted WoG and IOC dogs gave him...

This is pathetic... you are dealing with things you don't know ... but don't know at all !

I attended the last 5 Winter Olympics, 3 Winter Paralympics (yes, I went twice to Sochi, Vancouver & Torino!), the last 3 Summer Olympics (and also the London Paralympics)... plus the 2 first editions of the YOG ;-)

And the sport business is by daily business... so what I saw in Sochi in term on planning of their legacy is pretty well adressed... and I could guarantee you that this Olympic Park will be oftenly used for sport events, fairs, congress and also with their new theme park in addition to the Formula 1 racing. Yes this last, is totally part of the Olympic legacy, as they will use common infrastructures...

Regarding the winter venues... by living in Annecy, you should be more aware on the winter season business.... Russia is a fast developing country in this area... Russian people will be the first to come to ski at home instead of travelling abroad... and you could count on the Turkish people... Istanbul is just one hour flight from sochi... so almost 2 hours from the ski slopes ;-) And turkish people do not need visa to enter Russia !!!!!

With comments like your ones... i understand why Annecy had bad opinions... and why France will probably still wait a bit for hosting the Olympics...

Are you kidding me ?

And open your eyes... and you will see that Media are often using the same old pictures from sochi... and by making an analysis of the felt legacy only 2 weeks after the end of the Games is totally a nonsense...

But this is a speciality of the media... especially the French ones ! It is easier to deliver bad quick comments than to do a real analysis....

This is pathetic... you are dealing with things you don't know ... but don't know at all !

I attended the last 5 Winter Olympics, 3 Winter Paralympics (yes, I went twice to Sochi, Vancouver & Torino!), the last 3 Summer Olympics (and also the London Paralympics)... plus the 2 first editions of the YOG ;-)

And the sport business is by daily business... so what I saw in Sochi in term on planning of their legacy is pretty well adressed... and I could guarantee you that this Olympic Park will be oftenly used for sport events, fairs, congress and also with their new theme park in addition to the Formula 1 racing. Yes this last, is totally part of the Olympic legacy, as they will use common infrastructures...

I can read, I can understand, I can know, when you spent 36$ billions you can't have a positive legacy, there is no ways to have a positive legacy in Sotchi... It's the reality. Of course IOC will deny this, but it's the true.

You're totally blind, of course Russia promised a lot of things to IOC but since when you can trust in Russia ? Sotchi WoG have been done only for Putine and IOC followed Putine because he promised money...But 2 months later everybody are agree on this fact, Sotchi has been the biggest waste in the history of WoG...

Regarding the winter venues... by living in Annecy, you should be more aware on the winter season business.... Russia is a fast developing country in this area... Russian people will be the first to come to ski at home instead of travelling abroad... and you could count on the Turkish people... Istanbul is just one hour flight from sochi... so almost 2 hours from the ski slopes ;-) And turkish people do not need visa to enter Russia !!!!!

You can't compare Annecy with Sotchi, everything existed since 100 years in French alps, there is a culture, lot of people in France can go to Alps for winters holidays. And moreover French Alps are the first touristic destination for Winter sports. it's in the middle of Europe, all WoG in France have been a success with a great legacy.

But who will want to go to Sotchi for Winter sports ? European ? Never, Alps are better, more safe and closer. Russian people ? only some rich russian, Sotchi is very far from Moscow and moreover, winters holidays isn't in russian way of life or culture. And Rich russian prefer to come in Swiss Alps or French Alps for winter holidays it's more fashionable. Turkish ? Are you kinding me ? You are very funny.

There is only 1 ski resort, it's Krasnaya Plyana, how would you like develop winter business with 1 ski resort ? Now Russia spent everything in Sotchi WoG they don't have enough to build new ski resorts... Around Annecy there are more than 20 ski resorts bigger than in Sotchi and with better infrastructures. Anyway Russia won't be a place for winter business. Sorry for you but it's the reality.

With comments like your ones... i understand why Annecy had bad opinions... and why France will probably still wait a bit for hosting the Olympics...

And open your eyes... and you will see that Media are often using the same old pictures from sochi... and by making an analysis of the felt legacy only 2 weeks after the end of the Games is totally a nonsense...

But this is a speciality of the media... especially the French ones ! It is easier to deliver bad quick comments than to do a real analysis....

Annecy couldn't win against Pyeongchang, even with the best bid, because Korean did like Russia, they bought their WoG to IOC. And the legacy will be the same than in Sotchi maybe worst. It's already a fail, if you can read :http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sports/jo/jo-de-sotchi/vous-avez-aime-sotchi-vous-adorerez-pyeongchang-en-2018_537909.html (it's in french). IOC members received bribes to vote or promote Pyeongchang.

Of course you will tell me it's a lie, of course french newspaper are liers...

Winter sports are not popular in Korea, it won't be profitable and excepted Korean, nobody will come in Korea for winter holidays. I have many Korean friends and all of them told me it will be a fail because everybody in Korea don't care about WoG and winter sports...

Of course WoG are profitable to IOC because they sell TV right. And they spend nothing, it's not their problems what's happen after, they don't care if population are against or if they can have a legacy... IOc are stupid.

You are from Lausanne, I'm sure have ever been in Annecy, it's very close, honestly you can't have a bad opinion about this city.

At beginning I was 100% for WoG in Annecy, now i'm against when I see what has happen with Sotchi and Pyeongchang and when I see IOC behavior.

Moreover we have already everything, we don't need WoG to develop infrastructures or increase winter business, France is already number one and never countries like Russia or Korea could have the same level of offers and quality.

You will tell me French are arrogant. But I only try to show you than you can do in Russia or Korea like in Europe or North America with winter sports or winter business.

You know 2022 is the European turn for WoG... Why nobody in Alps want to bid ? Ask you this question, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France everybody said not... Maybe there is a reason.

I hope it will be Norway, they are able to purpose something less crazy than in Korea or Russia.

I can read, I can understand, I can know, when you spent 36$ billions you can't have a positive legacy, there is no ways to have a positive legacy in Sotchi... It's the reality. Of course IOC will deny this, but it's the true.

You're totally blind, of course Russia promised a lot of things to IOC but since when you can trust in Russia ? Sotchi WoG have been done only for Putine and IOC followed Putine because he promised money...But 2 months later everybody are agree on this fact, Sotchi has been the biggest waste in the history of WoG...

You can't compare Annecy with Sotchi, everything existed since 100 years in French alps, there is a culture, lot of people in France can go to Alps for winters holidays. And moreover French Alps are the first touristic destination for Winter sports. it's in the middle of Europe, all WoG in France have been a success with a great legacy.

But who will want to go to Sotchi for Winter sports ? European ? Never, Alps are better, more safe and closer. Russian people ? only some rich russian, Sotchi is very far from Moscow and moreover, winters holidays isn't in russian way of life or culture. And Rich russian prefer to come in Swiss Alps or French Alps for winter holidays it's more fashionable. Turkish ? Are you kinding me ? You are very funny.

There is only 1 ski resort, it's Krasnaya Plyana, how would you like develop winter business with 1 ski resort ? Now Russia spent everything in Sotchi WoG they don't have enough to build new ski resorts... Around Annecy there are more than 20 ski resorts bigger than in Sotchi and with better infrastructures. Anyway Russia won't be a place for winter business. Sorry for you but it's the reality.

Annecy couldn't win against Pyeongchang, even with the best bid, because Korean did like Russia, they bought their WoG to IOC. And the legacy will be the same than in Sotchi maybe worst. It's already a fail, if you can read :http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sports/jo/jo-de-sotchi/vous-avez-aime-sotchi-vous-adorerez-pyeongchang-en-2018_537909.html (it's in french). IOC members received bribes to vote or promote Pyeongchang.

Of course you will tell me it's a lie, of course french newspaper are liers...

Winter sports are not popular in Korea, it won't be profitable and excepted Korean, nobody will come in Korea for winter holidays. I have many Korean friends and all of them told me it will be a fail because everybody in Korea don't care about WoG and winter sports...

Of course WoG are profitable to IOC because they sell TV right. And they spend nothing, it's not their problems what's happen after, they don't care if population are against or if they can have a legacy... IOc are stupid.

You are from Lausanne, I'm sure have ever been in Annecy, it's very close, honestly you can't have a bad opinion about this city.

At beginning I was 100% for WoG in Annecy, now i'm against when I see what has happen with Sotchi and Pyeongchang and when I see IOC behavior.

Moreover we have already everything, we don't need WoG to develop infrastructures or increase winter business, France is already number one and never countries like Russia or Korea could have the same level of offers and quality.

You will tell me French are arrogant. But I only try to show you than you can do in Russia or Korea like in Europe or North America with winter sports or winter business.

You know 2022 is the European turn for WoG... Why nobody in Alps want to bid ? Ask you this question, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France everybody said not... Maybe there is a reason.

I hope it will be Norway, they are able to purpose something less crazy than in Korea or Russia.

OMG.... i will not waste time to comment and try to convince you. It will take me years to comment each of the non sense you wrote in every lines...

I will just say 2 things.

- Actually cities doesn't want to host the Games, because they do not need the Games.... And they are just interested in their present blessing their past and not focusing on their future !

- I know very well Annecy and its bid ! And you are actually behaving like the ones that were against the 2018 bid and are part of the defeat...

By the way... I'm also French... and I'm not working

OMG.... i will not waste time to comment and try to convince you. It will take me years to comment each of the non sense you wrote in every lines...

I will just say 2 things.

- Actually cities doesn't want to host the Games, because they do not need the Games.... And they are just interested in their present blessing their past and not focusing on their future !

- I know very well Annecy and its bid ! And you are actually behaving like the ones that were against the 2018 bid and are part of the defeat...

By the way... I'm also French... and I'm not working

You have to convince many people and many medias. My opinion it's the opinion from a majority of people... You are French and you told me french media are lier ? Sotchi is a success ? Really i can't understand why you try to convince me than Sotchi will have a great legacy...

Anyway It's not finish, it will be the same with Rio and Pyeongchang... Tokyo is a good idea to stop the race to crazy cost. But the reason why many cities didn't bid for the last WoG or SoG it's the rise of cost compare to the benefit, SoG or WoG are become too unpopular in the public opinion, look all the surveys, poles and public votes against... Munich would have won in 2022 but public didn't want... No bid from Alps and it's the European turn in 2022, explain me why nobody want WoG in Europe excepted Norway...

If Russia decides to spend billions making a new resort, with new rail, road and air connections, new hotels, venues etc. then that's their decision. As I've said in the London threads, getting all the money back directly in the short term isn't the aim when you're spending on infrastrcture. Getting indirect return in the long-term is the aim, though spending $50bn in the first place means you'd better have one hell of a strong legacy case.

The biggest issue with Sochi is the persistent suggestions that the sums that were spent were hugely inflated by rampant corruption and kickbacks. How many of those billions were simply wasted on lining pockets of people at the top? The BBC Panorama on how locals, sceptics and journalists in the area were treated during the build up to Sochi 2014 doesn't fill one with much hope that the legacy will be handled well for everybody either.

Whatever the case, it's too early to say how successful the legacy will be, far too early. You can't look at pictures a few weeks after the Games and declare a failed legacy, that's ridiculous!

I agree it's maybe too early to say if there is a great legacy or not. But We can be pessimistic about the legacy...

And when you look how Sotchi WoG have been build you can be very pessimistic about the next step, now it's finish and medias look Pyeongchang...

Sochi Lawmakers Attempt to Save Failing Olympic Venues With Tax Break

Sochi's Olympic sports venues and hotels have been exempted from property tax for two years by the regional government, a move that analysts say simply reflects the hopelessness of their financial position after the Games.

According to the law, which came into force on May 6 and was published on the website of the Krasnodar region's Finance Ministry on Monday, all Olympic buildings will be freed from corporate property tax until Jan. 1, 2015. The term "Olympic buildings" is defined generously — sporting venues, the Olympic village, the Games' media center and the Russian International Olympic University in Sochi will all be exempt, as well as transportation and engineering infrastructure and hotels built as part of the government-driven construction.

According to a ministry spokesperson, by lifting the tax — set locally at 2.2 percent of the net value of a company's assets — the regional budget will miss out on some 4 billion rubles ($114 million), money it hopes to get back from the federal budget.

However, considering the indebtedness of many of the Olympic facilities in Sochi, analysts doubt the tax break is really voluntary. Most of them do not have the money to pay, said Ilya Volodko, CEO at consulting company MACON Realty in Krasnodar.

"Neither state-funded nor privately funded Olympic venues can generate income, so it would be impossible for them to pay the tax," he said. "They would be subsidized by the government in one way or another anyway."

The government sunk more than $50 billion into preparations for the Sochi Games, and encouraged billionaires like Oleg Deripaska and Vladimir Potanin to invest heavily in infrastructure. Construction was plagued by cost overruns, and private investors were granted huge loans by state-owned Vneshekonombank. Many of these have since been renegotiated, and the resort is struggling to attract enough tourists to fill its hotels in the aftermath of the Games, which were held in February.

Nikolai Kazansky, managing partner at real estate firm Colliers International, welcomed the tax break, saying it would "lower significantly the tax burden on investors." But the government should apply the exemption only to those venues with the longest return on investment periods, he added.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/sochi-lawmakers-attempt-to-save-failing-olympic-venues-with-tax-break/499983.html

WADA publishes Independent Observer Report for 2014 Olympic Winter Games
May 13, 2014

WADA has completed and published its Independent Observer (IO) Report on the anti-doping program at the 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games.

In accordance with the World Anti-Doping Code, WADA is invited by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to send an IO Team to all Olympic Games, and deliver a final report on the effectiveness of the program and any recommendations for its improvement.

“The anti-doping program that the IOC put in place for Sochi was every bit as robust and professional as we could have hoped for,” said WADA President Sir Craig Reedie.

“The combined efforts of the IOC and the Sochi Organising Committee for the 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (SOCHI 2014) were impressive, and this is reflected in the overall positive nature of the report.

“Through the audit-style approach, and with the strong level of cooperation and support received from both the IOC and SOCHI 2014, the team was able to complete its mission to the best of its ability and with the rights of the clean athlete at its very heart.”

The IO Team monitored all aspects of the anti-doping program in Sochi, including test distribution planning, the selection of competitors for testing, notification of doping control, Therapeutic Use Exemption procedure, chain of custody, sample analysis and results management.

As is the case following all IO Missions, the report included a number of recommendations designed to further enhance anti-doping activities at future Games, with particular regard to the 2015 World Anti-Doping Code.

A full copy of the Independent Observer Report can be found here.

WADA

WADA bans inhalation of xenon and argon gases by athletes, places them on prohibited list

The World Anti-Doping Agency banned the inhalation of xenon and argon gas on Monday (AEST), saying it could illegally enhance the performance of athletes.

Top Russian athletes were said to have used xenon at Olympic Games from Athens 2004 right up to the Sochi 2014 Winter Games.

Inhaling the gas encourages the production in the body of the hormone Erythropoietin (EPO), which encourages the formation of red blood cells in the body to improve performance.

In addition to banning the use of xenon and argon, WADA decided to place the substances on its prohibited list.

"The message to any athlete is loaded and clear, it's going onto the ban list," WADA president Craig Reedie said after the agency's two-day executive committee and foundation board meetings.

"So if in doubt, do not."

WADA's executive committee unanimously approved the ban, which will go into effect after a 90-day delay for national anti-doping organizations to implement the change.

Russia's athletes enjoyed a hugely successful Winter Games in Sochi, winning 13 gold medals and topping the final medals table.

The country until recent years had a dire reputation for the doping of athletes dating back to the Soviet system.

However Russia has now taken steps to clean up its act including the creation of its own anti-doping agency RUSADA.

The research institute of the Russian defence ministry reportedly set out guidelines in 2010 for the administration of xenon gas to athletes.

AFP

WADA bans inhalation of xenon and argon gases by athletes, places them on prohibited list

The World Anti-Doping Agency banned the inhalation of xenon and argon gas on Monday (AEST), saying it could illegally enhance the performance of athletes.

Top Russian athletes were said to have used xenon at Olympic Games from Athens 2004 right up to the Sochi 2014 Winter Games.

Inhaling the gas encourages the production in the body of the hormone Erythropoietin (EPO), which encourages the formation of red blood cells in the body to improve performance.

In addition to banning the use of xenon and argon, WADA decided to place the substances on its prohibited list.

"The message to any athlete is loaded and clear, it's going onto the ban list," WADA president Craig Reedie said after the agency's two-day executive committee and foundation board meetings.

"So if in doubt, do not."

WADA's executive committee unanimously approved the ban, which will go into effect after a 90-day delay for national anti-doping organizations to implement the change.

Good. Though I wonder how easy/difficult the detection will be.

• 1 month later...
IOC Debrief of Sochi 2014 comes to a close in PyeongChang

02/07/2014

Under the key messages of inspire, manage, engage, empower and deliver, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Debriefing of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games successfully concluded today in PyeongChang, Republic of Korea - the host city of the next edition of the Olympic Winter Games in 2018.

Led by the IOC and attended by IOC President Thomas Bach, the eighth edition of the Games Debriefing was a week-long (25 June – 2 July) transfer of knowledge between the Sochi 2014 organisers and the future host cities of PyeongChang 2018, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020. Representatives from each of the 2022 Winter Games Applicant Cities were also in attendance.

In total, over 360 representatives of future host cities heard invaluable advice about Games management best practices, as well as the real-life Sochi experiences of 65 top leaders of February’s highly successful edition of the Olympic Winter Games. President Bach described Sochi as “the athletes’ Games” following the positive feedback he had received from his fellow Olympians this winter and having witnessed their great sporting performances. Indeed, high marks have been given for the Sochi Games by all of the stakeholder groups that the IOC has debriefed with since February, underlining the success of Sochi’s delivery of the Games.

Speaking at the event, President Bach said, “The Olympic Winter Games have been going from strength to strength with each passing edition, and Sochi has continued that trend. For example, television audiences broke all records with a broadcast audience growth of 11 per cent from Vancouver 2010, while here in Korea, over 38 million people tuned in to watch Sochi 2014.” He continued, “This growth is down to an ever-improving product, which is being delivered by ever-more knowledgeable organisers, with better resources at their disposal. This is thanks to the support provided by the IOC, as we help Games organisers through events like the official Debriefing, services like Olympic Games knowledge management, and also financially, as we have contributed around USD 750 million to support the organisation of the Sochi Games.”

The exchanges also focused on Games legacy, with the Sochi 2014 delegation describing how the city’s new world-class sports venues would be used by elite and grassroots athletes, giving Russia the ability to host international championships in all the Olympic winter sports, while new utilities infrastructure built around the Games would help to improve the lives of the local community. However, perhaps more than this, the Debriefing showed clearly the depth of the human legacy that the Games have left to Russia, with thousands of young Russians who worked or volunteered in Sochi now using their Games knowledge to benefit other areas of society, and demonstrating Russia’s ability to deliver international projects.

The Debriefing featured plenary and breakout sessions, as well as one-to-one meetings and a specific three-day seminar on Games technology, which helped to advance the knowledge of the future Games organisers and strengthened the relationships between them. The participants looked at a number of key themes, in particular how to create an attractive product; how to establish a strong governance model; how to engage with the Olympic Movement stakeholders; how to prepare the team for delivery; and how to deliver the event. There will be a specific Paralympic debrief held from 4 to 5 July.

Sochi 2014 President and CEO Dmitry Chernyshenko said: “I am proud that the IOC has outlined, at its official Debrief in PyeongChang, that Sochi 2014 delivered on its promises to the IOC, the wider Olympic family and the public around the world. Not only has Russia once again succeeded in hosting a major international event but we’ve also set a blueprint for others to follow and introduced new high standards for future hosts of the Olympic Games. A recent poll showed that 94 per cent of people praised the impeccable organisation of the Games in Sochi, and 84 per cent are proud of the result.”

He continued, “It has been an honour for us to share our expertise, knowledge and observations with the next Games’ makers. I believe that the lessons of Sochi 2014 will help to ensure that PyeongChang 2018 will be a great success. I would like to thank the IOC President, Thomas Bach, for his guidance and support in helping Russia deliver such successful Games.”

IOC

Russia to Allow Gambling in Sochi

Russia will allow gambling in Sochi in a bid to make continued use of the facilities that were built in the Black Sea resort for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Russia spent $51 billion on the Games, leaving many companies that invested in the city wondering how they were going to recoup their money.

Russia in 2009 closed down casinos across the country and restricted gambling to several designated zones, all far away from major cities or tourist attractions. The parliament voted last week to put Sochi on the list of the areas where gambling is allowed.

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak, who oversaw the preparations for the games, told Russian news agencies on Tuesday the government will decide within the next 10 days on the exact location of casinos.

He said that the gambling zone could be set up at the site previously used for the Games, but any location in Sochi should support local businesses.

"We should do everything to make these projects bring returns on the investment, so that they don't go bankrupt," Kozak said.

Russia built 14 venues for the games with a total capacity of 145,000 people.

Plans for how to use the venues are changing all the time. Some were converted into malls, others given away to athletic federations.

Dozens of private companies, anticipating the Kremlin's gratitude for shouldering economically unviable projects, flocked to Sochi to build hotels and infrastructure. Observers noted, however, that Sochi as a resort was unlikely to attract enough tourists for the new hotels and other facilities to be fully used.

AP

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/russia-gambling-sochi-24466930

The next six months or so should give us an indication of the potential success of the new Sochi resorts.

The theme park opened at the end of June, in time for the main summer holidays, and the first F1 Grand Prix is scheduled for October, neatly slotted in between the end of the summer season and the start of the first winter season using the improved mountain facilities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The next six months or so should give us an indication of the potential success of the new Sochi resorts.

The various webcams at Adler show the beach is really popular right now (NB, if you're reading this at night Sochi time, you might not see so much bustle!).

Even the Rosa Plateau visitor facilities in the mountains are seeing significant use, despite the utter lack of snow

14.jpg

Meanwhile, I wonder how traditional resorts along the north coast of the Black Sea are faring?

Archived