Sochi Russia 2014 Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony

Well, watched it now.

Viewing the first three quarters of it or so, well, yeah, it was impressive. It was basically a continuation of the opening. Which was not necessarily bad - I'm a big admirer of the opening. But I sorta missed the celebratory, let your hair down aspect of most closings. Instead I felt I just got more, really beautifully presented, set pieces of Russian culture. Got to the speeches and took a break thinking, "meh, a nice impressive ceremony, but not really touching me".

Then I came back to it after the speeches, with the end segment with the cauldron dousing and mascots. Which I knew about from reading here and on the news feeds. Which I really wasn't expecting much from, more braced for it to be hokey. And which I was just so pleasantly tickled to find that three big mechanatronic mascots were giving me me the "magic" element I'd been missing up to there. I almost feel silly for saying these silly big robots, and the sentimental nods to Moscow and Mischa, and then the big wink and the tear from the Sochi bear, had me enchanted. And then the sky boat and the Soprano and spring and the kids... jeez, I must be getting emotional in my dotage. I can see the young four-year-old aspiring Tony's in the world being entranced by that. Guess we'll see them here come the 2018 games.

You won that (the closing) again in my mind too, Sochi.

* I thought the mascots had no names? In the Ten telecast they were giving them names - the bear they called Mischka, and I didn't catch what they said the rabbit and the leopard was. Then again, this is the team that got affronted when the Russians admonished them for stubbornly insisting the big doll on the freestyle track was a babushka, not a matryoshka.

** So the big mascotbots were Aussie-made, eh? We've sure improved since Matilda in '82. Good to see we're capable of manufacturing something, anything, down here.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, it would have gone off --- but if PC18 uses Psy now it would seem awkward, awkward in that the song is big two years ago (which means, right now, people are over it and South Korea will look

After Russia's hockey loss today, Putin will be a no-show.Maybe he'll go into hiding by putting on a ski mask and joining Pussy Riot.

The stadium will be turned into a giant SPCA and each closing ceremony attendee will take home a free dog. They'll be leaving the Olympic Park just like this...

And it proved Baron wrong! :D

Well, technically I was right. They didn't use the same physical props that malfunctioned as they did in Vancouver. It was perfomers who tried to fluff up the mistake. So, how could I be wrong? ;) Besides, who can guess the devious Russian mind??

Anyway. partially rewatched it tonight...and those poles which bothered Ilustrado apparently represented the northern lights...not just some abstract pieces of decor. But too bad they didn't play with those light-poles and the chandeliers more.

I don't usually like closing ceremonies but I liked this one--guess I prefer a little more "ceremony" and less athletes bopping to pop songs. Especially enjoyed the play on the OC's ring-not-opening oopsie, the pianos and the mascots/Bear blowing out the flame.

Well, watched it now.

Viewing the first three quarters of it or so, well, yeah, it was impressive. It was basically a continuation of the opening. Which was not necessarily bad - I'm a big admirer of the opening. But I sorta missed the celebratory, let your hair down aspect of most closings. Instead I felt I just got more, really beautifully presented, set pieces of Russian culture. Got to the speeches and took a break thinking, "meh, a nice impressive ceremony, but not really touching me".

Then I came back to it after the speeches, with the end segment with the cauldron dousing and mascots. Which I knew about from reading here and on the news feeds. Which I really wasn't expecting much from, more braced for it to be hokey. And which I was just so pleasantly tickled to find that three big mechanatronic mascots were giving me me the "magic" element I'd been missing up to there. I almost feel silly for saying these silly big robots, and the sentimental nods to Moscow and Mischa, and then the big wink and the tear from the Sochi bear, had me enchanted. And then the sky boat and the Soprano and spring and the kids... jeez, I must be getting emotional in my dotage. I can see the young four-year-old aspiring Tony's in the world being entranced by that. Guess we'll see them here come the 2018 games.

You won that (the closing) again in my mind too, Sochi.

* I thought the mascots had no names? In the Ten telecast they were giving them names - the bear they called Mischka, and I didn't catch what they said the rabbit and the leopard was. Then again, this is the team that got affronted when the Russians admonished them for stubbornly insisting the big doll on the freestyle track was a babushka, not a matryoshka.

** So the big mascotbots were Aussie-made, eh? We've sure improved since Matilda in '82. Good to see we're capable of manufacturing something, anything, down here.

It's amazing how surprising so many of the Sochi design elements have turned out in the end. Their logo was seen as rubbish, people were iffy about their look, and the mascots seemed completely void of personality.

And now at the end of the Games, the logo seems to have won over alot of people (granted, many still don't like it), people are saying the look (when applied correctly) looks fantastic at the venues, and these mascots have managed to get people all teary eyed.

I gotta admit, I was the same Rols. They managed to actually make these mascots lovable and just ever so slightly, we had a moment when we were sad to see them go. It was extremely well produced segment, they couldn't have done it better. The reworked Goodbye Misha soundtrack was fantastic, the mannerisms of the mascots worked so well, really beautiful. Add that to the final segment, it was a grand farewell.

Loved the ceremony.

It was just so stylie, fantastic choir with the Russian anthem, a cheeky nod to the rings at the start, one of my favourite closing ceremonies without a doubt.

As for the mascot names. I believe we have Polis (the bear), Strelka (Hare) and Vaseek(g) the Leopard .

Who was the lone female writer featured in the Famous Authors' sequence in the Closing? Anyone know?

Judging from the hairstyle, and from the handy background notes, I'd say she was poet Anna Akhmatova. The other woman writer mentioned in the notes, Marina Tsvetaeva (more swept-out hairstyle), was featured on one of the photo panels.

It's amazing how surprising so many of the Sochi design elements have turned out in the end. Their logo was seen as rubbish, people were iffy about their look, and the mascots seemed completely void of personality.

And now at the end of the Games, the logo seems to have won over alot of people (granted, many still don't like it), people are saying the look (when applied correctly) looks fantastic at the venues, and these mascots have managed to get people all teary eyed.

I'd be willing to bet that in four years time people will have warmed up the same way to PC18's logo and branding.

On sales posters, the only one with a name was the bear, Mishka. The others were just "Leopard" and "Bunny".

First time I've had the three names.

They were mentioned by the commentators in both the opening and closing ceremonies, Im thinking it might have been the ob commentary, as it had a hodgepodge of Brit, Kiwi, Aussie and Canadian commentators doing them

Great Closing Ceremony... I guess...

I'd be a whole lot more certain if NBC wouldn't have completely screwed it up. The horribleness of the utterly inane and pointless comentary by those ingnorant fools, Chris Collinsworth and Al Michaels, whose expertise ends on the edge of a football field, was only exceeded by the brutal cuts the network made to the broadcast. But I can see why: Leaving out whole segments of the ceremonies, both artistic and ritual, was so worth it so that we could see yet-another promo for the soon-to-be shortlived sitcoms which the creatively-spent network is foisting on the viewers. Showing those constant closeups of athletes watching and being amazed by the ceremonies made alot more sense than showing the actual ceremony that those figure skating darlings were being amazed by. Right.

Jelous of viewers in Oz, England, and most of the rest of the world.

. It went on for too long and the pretty effect of the shimmering crowd ended up feeling a bit naff especially when it showed them close up. It felt more like a commonwealth games from a few years ago rather than the Olympics.

I didn't like BBC broadcast exactly for a lot of closeups and basically missing some great shots. Russian broadcast had different angles and had less closeups, more wider shots, more top shots.

Can anyone tell me the name of the song used for the extinguishing of the flame? The one that was also used in 1980?

Adaptation of Edward Artemiev score for Свой среди чужих чужой среди своих movie. I think they changed it to fluidly morph with 1980 song.

In the opening ceremony they also used Artemiev music, when the red balloon was flying away, they used Siberiade theme

• Like 1

As for the mascot names. I believe we have Polis (the bear), Strelka (Hare) and Vaseek(g) the Leopard .

I heard one commentator say they were X, Y and Z! :lol:

Did anyone catch the cameraman on a Segway on stage and the blowers they brought out to create the paper maelstrom moment??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

In Spain they said the mascots had no names and they just called them Oso (Bear), Liebre (Hare) and Leopardo (Leopard).

They are very strange mascots. They're actually a collage, they used to be individual designs that were put together. They don't have anything in common between them. That said, I think Sochi has managed to use them very well in the ceremonies. I can't remember the last time that happened. The extinguishing of the flame was very nicely done. I hope future hosts will take note and give the mascot more visibility and protagonism.

Can't think of anything less important to the Olympics or its ceremonies than the mascots. Who really cares what they look like, their names, etc., except for maybe my five year-old niece. Why the fuss? Got to admit, though, the engineering of the movements of this giant stuffed animals was pretty impressive. Otherwise, wish they'd do away with that Disney-like stuff.

The only thing I hated was the Pyongchang handover segment. Was rubbish, and looked to much like really school production mimicing of the Sochi opening lol I really hope these games do not turn into the next Nagano.

The next Nagano? I'm curious as to what you mean? Granted I don't have a big memory of Nagano, and its never struck me as memorable but I've heard good things from people I've met who did go. Or were you referring to the ceremony particularly?

The next Nagano? I'm curious as to what you mean? Granted I don't have a big memory of Nagano, and its never struck me as memorable but I've heard good things from people I've met who did go. Or were you referring to the ceremony particularly?

Yeah, I think he meant Nagano's 'Snow Children.' They were a little too frisky and too much in that kitschy Japanese way. At least the 800 Children of Light in Salt Lake were a little more dignified.

I liked the closing ceremonies and thought it was wonderful they could laugh at themselves by recreating the Olympic ring that did not open. It reminded me of the Vancouver games closing ceremonies when they were able to make light of the malfunction of their indoor cauldron in the opening events. I liked the bear blowing out the cauldron and I suspect that there were millions of Russians who felt the same sense of sorrow as the flame went out and the bear shed a tear. For a few weeks in February, Russia was able to shine. They deserve to have that moment in time and I am glad that it all went off well. I am no fan of overblown, cost inflated Olympic games. But they are the reality, I suppose. And if Russians were able to be proud of their games, that is a good thing.

The "tear" the Bear shed is such a mawkish recreation of the moment when the 1980 mascot, Misha, granted a much beloved mascot (I actually have an authentic Misha doll), but tear-shedding' moment was actually done by the stunt-card section (starting at 2:01 on the clip). :rolleyes:

I hope at the next Russian Olympics (I imagine St. Petersburg someday), they won't be linking it to this closing moment from Sochi. :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Spectacular! Words fail me on how grand and heartfelt the 2 ceremonies were.

EXCEPT- that was the worst handover EVER! Korea's success story of the last few years is K Pop- PSY, boy bands/ girl bands, where were they? Imagine if the quiet music of the old man gave way to PSY leading the stadium in Gangnam Style, with projections of modern Korea on the stage floor- it would have gone off!!!!!

EXCEPT- that was the worst handover EVER! Korea's success story of the last few years is K Pop- PSY, boy bands/ girl bands, where were they? Imagine if the quiet music of the old man gave way to PSY leading the stadium in Gangnam Style, with projections of modern Korea on the stage floor- it would have gone off!!!!!

What is this PSY? No; it wasn't the worst.

I have seen about 15 of these handovers -- and there are "worse" ones (somehow that whole run of the summer hosts starting in Sydney 2000 w/ Athens', then Beijing in Athens (all over the place); and then London's in Beijing (absolutely drowned out by the vastness of Birds nest). Don't expect future hosts to spend $100 million on those handover segments. PyongChang's was OK, perhaps a little underwhelming; but it could've been a lot worse.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

The funny thing about South Korea is, that what looks "modern" today will seem utterly antiquated in four years' time.

I agree, it would have gone off --- but if PC18 uses Psy now it would seem awkward, awkward in that the song is big two years ago (which means, right now, people are over it and South Korea will look culturally desperate) and also that, come 2018, Gangnam Style will probably have aged enough for it to be a fun nostalgic pop song for the Closing Ceremony in 2018. For the west, Psy is a one hit wonder and I think organisers were aware of that. Psy will be to PyeongChang 2018 what the Spice Girls were to London 2012.

What is this PSY? No; it wasn't the worst.

I have seen about 15 of these handovers -- and there are "worse" ones (somehow that whole run of the summer hosts starting in Sydney 2000 w/ Athens', then Beijing in Athens (all over the place); and then London's in Beijing (absolutely drowned out by the vastness of Birds nest). Don't expect future hosts to spend $100 million on those handover segments. PyongChang's was OK, perhaps a little underwhelming; but it could've been a lot worse.

I agree with Baron here.

PyeongChang's handover didn't exactly send shivers down my spine --- but can anyone REALLY name any handover ceremony that was exceptional? People never seem happy with handover ceremonies. IIRC from lurking around back then, it seemed as though people thought Sochi's appearance in Vancouver was arduous and over the top. So what, PC18 was simple and straight forward in Sochi. They have kept it simple, not tried to compete with Russia's show, and let it be. Their time is in 2018. Look at Sydney, Athens, Vancouver and London's handover ceremonies --- none were any indication AT ALL of what was in store four years later.

• Like 2

More than two days later, I still have to watch the closing ceremony completely. But, from what I've seen so far, I must say: Certainly it lacked the party parts we have got so much used to in Olympic closing ceremonies. But it was entertaining nevertheless and, most of all, looked lavish. It wasn't the "Oh, well, we have only a few thousands of dollars left to spend from our ceremonial budget" mishmash of corny props and mostly boring musical performances with which Beijing "entertained" the global audience at its Olympic closing ceremony, which was probably the biggest letdown of all Olympic closing ceremonies. And it seems that London probably has set a new standard there: Do a lavish closing ceremony, and make it look as if it could have easily replaced the opening ceremony. And that is very commendable, since the closing ceremony shouldn't look like a stale afterthought symbolising some kind of "Olympic exhaustion" of the host city/country.

I absolutely loved the "fifth ring missing" part and was pleasantly surprised that the Russians poked fun at themselves in such a manner. It probably won quite a couple of hearts, certainly it won mine.

From what I've seen so far, the musical score for the different "cultural display" parts of the ceremony was exceptional. And I also liked the grand musical score for Pyeongchang's handover segment very much. Pyeongchang left a good impression on me in that segment, and if their ceremonies in 2018 look anything like that, they could be very entertaining, not overly "quirky music and endless Korean folk dances"-laden and with quite "Western" touches (without denying or hiding their own culture).

The mascots blowing out the cauldron was a bit poorly timed, it took far too long from Mishka's blow until the big external cauldron actually went out (and funnily, it still seemed to keep glowing - and that was probably the reason why the director of the OBS "global image" broadcast cut away from the external cauldron far too quickly for my taste). But, apart from that, it was a cute segment, touching and the surprisingly realistic expressions especially on Mishka's face were amazing. I didn't know that they are able to create such almost life-like robots already!

All in all, I think even without watching the complete ceremony yet, I think one can say that Russia did itself proud with both Olympic ceremonies. I'm really curious how they want to add to that story with their Paralympic ceremonies.

• Like 1

The party bit was supposed to be private for the audience and athletes post ceremony.

One thing I would have loved to have seen was TV and Film. They did the Visual Arts, then Music, theater, literature and the performing arts (in the form of the circus). It would have been nice to have seen visuals of famous Russian films and TV shows, perhaps even more trololo. ;)

Edited by Lord David

The party bit was supposed to be private for the audience and athletes post ceremony.

One thing I would have loved to have seen was TV and Film. They did the Visual Arts, then Music, theater, literature and the performing arts (in the form of the circus). It would have been nice to have seen visuals of famous Russian films and TV shows, perhaps even more trololo. ;)

I have a feeling that was partly a deliberate reaction against London's random TV and flim clips, partly a matter of the overall style- apart from the occasional between-scene interludes, it was all about live mass action on a projected landscape, with flying props/scenery.