Sochi Russia 2014 Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we will have the 3 mascots waving goodbye and leaving like Mischa in Moscow 80.... I think they will want to use those amazing huge mascot puppets from the opening again. They can't float away becuse of the roof.

Bet PSY performs too...

U do know those 3 mascots were made in Oz and then shipped to Muddah Rusya, right? They will probably skate away as the cauldron dies out.

U do know those 3 mascots were made in Oz and then shipped to Muddah Rusya, right? They will probably skate away as the cauldron dies out.

Is that true? I'd never heard that.

You'd know this - is this year's mascot ceremony appearance the first since Izzy scared the bejesus out of everyone at Barcelona's close?

Is that true? I'd never heard that.

You'd know this - is this year's mascot ceremony appearance the first since Izzy scared the bejesus out of everyone at Barcelona's close?

1. Finally got someone to translate that Documentary on the Making of this OC -- and a lot of the props were made outside Russia. Of the major ones, only the big red "tractors" were made in Moscow; and the floating islands were assembled onsite at that big hangar in the back, at Sochi. It's amazing how big those mascots were-- like 22 feet high; so packing them and then shipping them by air to Sochi was quite a feat. .

2. Correct, since Izzy startled the world in Barcelona (LOL), I think this is the first time the mascots have appeared and participated in the formal Ceremony portions....of the host country. Remember, Izzy appeared only in Barcelona. However, Phoebus and Athena made many appearances at the sporting venues.

I kinda miss the old tradition of the logo and mascot reveal at the preceding closing ceremony. It sorta hit "the anticipation for the next gathering starts now" button more.

Agreed- that is what the handover segment was partly about, unveiling the look and mascots of the next Games. That tradition should be revived. I remember Sydney's logo/ look/ mascots were not ready in time for the Atlanta closing and it was a bit of a let down.

On the Aussie Inflatable Mascots- I knew we had a high tech company doing this, they supplied the inflatables for the Sydney Closing (chicken breathing fire, fish bones, Aussie Jesus etc) and the Para Opening.

However, Phoebus and Athena made many appearances at the sporting venues.

You shouldn't forget that they even shortly appeared in Athens' OC, namely on one of the floats in the Klepsydra segment. I believe they showed the shape of those traditional Greek ancient dolls first and then held Phoebus and Athens puppets up to show the "modern interpretation" of those ancient dolls.

Russian Circus? Wasn't the medieval segment at the opening somewhat of a Circus? :D

No; technically, that segment of the opening was a Carnival and the Onion Domes/introduction of Orthodoxy into Russia as seen in a snowglobe. (I don't think it would be for the Paras, illustrado, because I have never seen paraplegic circus performers. And it is probably too early for them to be rehearsing the Paras yet. After this Sunday, they still have like 12 days before Para Opening.) And I know earlier they had announced they were using the many talents of the Moscow circus world. So apparently they have saved it for the Closing -- as Torino and Barcelona Closings had circus themes too.

And apparently, the 1,000-member Russian children's choir will also appear at Closing.

^^ Also according to this link (or at least what I understood with the translator), a chorus of kids from Pyeongchang and Gangeun will sing the Korean anthem

http://m.kwnews.co.kr/nView.asp?s=701&aid=214022100065

The closing ceremony for what I've read has a complete different creative team than the one which did the opening, pretty much like in London.

In contrast to the opening which was mainly done by a staff of all Russian people, although I think FC were advisers and kinda helped in the opening as well.

Marco Balich previous work in a closing ceremony was also very carnival/cirque like (the closing of Torino 2006, which I have to admit I enjoyed MORE than the opening :lol: )

No; technically, that segment of the opening was a Carnival and the Onion Domes/introduction of Orthodoxy into Russia as seen in a snowglobe. (I don't think it would be for the Paras, illustrado, because I have never seen paraplegic circus performers. And it is probably too early for them to be rehearsing the Paras yet. After this Sunday, they still have like 12 days before Para Opening.)

There were trapeze artists etc. with prosthetic limbs in the London paralympic ceremonies- but I agree, we're most likely to be seeing Sochi's circus in the Olympic closing.

There were trapeze artists etc. with prosthetic limbs in the London paralympic ceremonies- but I agree, we're most likely to be seeing Sochi's circus in the Olympic closing.

Correct. I sit corrected.

In contrast to the opening which was mainly done by a staff of all Russian people, although I think FC were advisers and kinda helped in the opening as well.

Yes, Givens sat in and I am sure gave his input for the Opening.

Archived