Men's Hockey

That felt surprisingly safe for a 1-0 game. Time to avenge the, err... 1994 Olympics, was it?

Both the bronze and gold medal games should be good.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason why Russians are so butthurt after their defeat with no else than Finland might be also political. Finland was one of the few countries which can presume of having kicked Russia ass in a recent war (they defeated an invading Russia with less than half of the soldiers they sent ) . I heard they don't get along each other very much, so... :P

On the other hand, Finland also dislikes Sweden a lot when it comes to sport, they even have a phrase which says "It doesn't matters who wins or loses as long as Sweden loses" or something :D

Anyway, best of luck to Canada. I hope you guys get the gold this sunday. :)

The reason why Russians are so butthurt after their defeat with no else than Finland might be also political. Finland was one of the few countries which can presume of having kicked Russia ass in a recent war (they defeated an invading Russia with less than half of the soldiers they sent ) . I heard they don't get along each other very much, so... :P

On the other hand, Finland also dislikes Sweden a lot when it comes to sport, they even have a phrase which says "It doesn't matters who wins or loses as long as Sweden loses" or something :D

I don't think the Russians really care about Finland that much as it is traditionally the friendliest and least worrysome of all Russia's neighbours. If there's any resentment it is from Finns towards Russia. Losing to a bigger rival like Canada could have been more painful but also more understandable to Russians.

The rivalry between Finland and Sweden isn't hateful but rather a friendly one like between the United States of America and Canada.

I don't know, the rivalry between Canada and the USA can be pretty bitter at times. In Salt Lake there was a lot more togetherness after the final. In Vancouver and Sochi there was a lot more 'butthurt' from the Americans. For the women, its much, much worse.

The women I have absolutely no respect for after the stepping on the flag incident from past Olympics and for their dirty style of play, especially the Lameroux sisters. They are a bunch of brutes and I love beating then. As for the men, a tremendous amount of respect for the effort team USA puts in.

The women I have absolutely no respect for after the stepping on the flag incident from past Olympics and for their dirty style of play, especially the Lameroux sisters. They are a bunch of brutes and I love beating then. As for the men, a tremendous amount of respect for the effort team USA puts in.

I would also much rather see the Canadian men lose the the Americans than to see the Canadian women lose. Basically the only American women I'd like to see with a gold medal are Julie Chu and Jessie Vetter.

• 2 weeks later...

Russia Ice Hockey Coach out After Olympic Failure

Russia ice hockey coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov is leaving his job after the home team's disappointing quarterfinals exit at the Sochi Olympics.

The International Ice Hockey Federation says Russia is looking for a new coach before the world championship in May in Belarus.

The IIHF says Russian hockey federation officials agreed to Bilyaletdinov's departure after meeting with him on Wednesday.

Russia lost 3-1 to Finland to miss out on an Olympic medal which was among the nation's top priorities at the Sochi Games.

Bilyaletdinov was appointed in June 2011 and led the team to be world champions the following year.

As a player for the Soviet Union, he won gold at the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics and silver in 1980 at Lake Placid.

Now there's a surprise...NOT.

If Tsar Vlad hadn't been busy with a few other things the last couple of days, he would have sacked Bilyaletdinov earlier already, I guess.

Definitely agree on that even if Tsar Vlad got other things to worry about. He'd ultimately get to that and "eat Bilyaletdinov alive".

I actually wanted to see both the Canadian men and women both claim gold again in ice hockey like Vancouver and Salt Lake City--and was happy for that! :) Though I have to admit I did feel sorry for Julie Chu and for a few others for the team's heartbreaking collapse; thought the game was over when it 2-0 in the third period. The American women still got some ways to go.

Archived