Men's Hockey

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game was a Very Big Deal here is Russia. Every thing stopped to watch it. I'm curios what NBC did with it. Was it the main event of the day? Or shuttered off to NBC17 so we could have more ice dancing in prime time.

The game was shown live on NBCSN this morning, replayed on NBCSN later in the afternoon. Then in the first 20-25 minutes or so of primetime, they showed the entire overtime and shootout plus an interview with Al Michaels and Doc Emrick.

In other words, NBC covered the game exactly as they should have. Pretty convenient day to NOT have figure skating anywhere to be seen on the schedule.

Phil Kessel is just dynamite. He's tearing it up in the NHL and is now doing it for Team USA.

I see the men's hockey semifinals as Sweden v Russia, and USA v Canada. From there, anything is possible.

Those would be great semis. As a Canadian fan nothing would please me more than a Canada - USA semi followed by a Canada - Russia final - assuming that Canada ends up winning, of course :P

Those would be great semis. As a Canadian fan nothing would please me more than a Canada - USA semi followed by a Canada - Russia final - assuming that Canada ends up winning, of course :P

As a Canadian fan I'd prefer a Canada-Slovenia semifinal and a Canada-Austria final :P.

As a Canadian fan I'd prefer a Canada-Slovenia semifinal and a Canada-Austria final :P.

If you're going down that route, don't forget a Canada-Latvia quarter.

I want to play USA and then Russia. To be the best, you gotta beat the best! From a storyline perspective, Russia vs either of Canada or USA would be stuff of legends. I'd be curious what the Russians think. Do they want to play their traditional hockey rival and get revenge for 2010, or do they want to play their traditional real-world political rival?

Certainly from a North America perspective, the stuff of legends surround the contests of 1960, 1980, 2002 and 2010. While 1998 and 2006 were 'Dream' Teams that became 'Scream' Teams - nightmares on ice.

The pressure on the Canadian team is always pretty intense as the sport is deeply engrained in the nation's psyche, but I don't think the pressure is as intense this time as it was in 2010. We want a repeat, but the victory in Vancouver was a national event and at times it almost felt that a big reason for Vancouver pursuing the 2010 Games was for that moment.

The Russians, however, now have the pressure on them, given that both that they are hosts and that their most honoured hockey player lit the flame. Almost identical to what it was in 2010, except the moment they want would be soaked with caviar and vodka instead of poutine and beer.

Yeah it definitely means more to Russia this time. And strictly speaking, part of me would be happy to see Russia win so the Russian people could feel what we did in Vancouver. Though part of me would also be happy to see USA win if Kessel is the MVP. Then again, a bigger part of me would be even happier to see both of those countries lose.

I'm here in Russia, and the fans REALLY want a rematch with the US.

As an impartial observer (which I'm not), I would think most of the world would be interested in a Russia/USA final for its political backdrop.

Have you been able to score tickets for the final? For how much? Was it easy?

Ask and ye shall receive. Just shows that (almost) anything can happen in a one-game series.

If Canada doesn't win gold then I hope its a Latvia - Slovenia finals. Just because.

Seriously, anyone that betted that Slovenia and Latvia would both make the quarters probably made a pretty penny.

With the way Russia is playing, they will be lucky to get past Finland, let alone Sweden.

Russia is probably 6th best based on play so far (behind Finland, Sweden, Canada, USA and Switzerland)

I thought they would kick it into another gear once the elimination rounds began. Not looking so good for them right now.

Archived