When did you get interested in the Olympics and the Olympics bidding progress?

I don't think we have this talk thread before

When did you get interested in the Olympics Games ?

For me it was the Athens Greece 2004 games I was in year 5 in School age 10 at the time and my teacher she is Greek I learn about the Olympics Games stay up late watch the games and 10 years later I am a mad Olympics Games fan.

When did you get interested in Olympics Games Bidding ?

It was 2008 for me when one family member said that Singapore has got the 2010 Olympics so I looked at it and then look at the bids for it Moscow vs Singapore and looked at 2016 bid race I supported Rio de Janeiro Brazil 2016 and that was my 1st Olympics Games bid race that I watch over.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The earliest Olympics I remember watching was Salt Lake City 2002, I was 5. The first Bidding Process I followed in DETAIL, was London 2012 Bidding Process. The first Bid process where I supported a Bid, but didn't know in detail about it for example, the political side etc, was the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, which started when I was 4, so I didn't know the in depth information about the Bids. London 2012 was the first DETAILED Bid I remember.

My earliest Olympic memories were Albertville, I had no idea what it was until much later. I have vague memories of Lillehammer. Atlanta was the first Olympics where I was completely understood what was going on. I remember the Opening Ceremony and vividly remember Marnie McBean and Donovan Bailey winning. Loved the Olympics since.

- My first very vague memories are from Innsbruck and Montreal 1976

- I remember watching some events from Lake Placid 1980

- No memories of Moscow 1980, since West Germany joined the boycott and nothing was shown from the Olympics

- Sarajevo and Los Angeles 1984 were the first ones, which I watched from the Opening Ceremony to the Closing Ceremony! Didn't miss any of the Olympic Games since then!!!

- London 2012 were the first Olympic Games, which I attend in person and I can just say that is the right way to watch Olympic Games!!!

- I follow the bidding process since 1984 - that means the first bid competition I followed were the selections for 1992!!

First Olympics I remember somewhat watching were Calgary & Seoul. Some figure skating & some T&F, respectively. But the very first Olympics that I watched thoroughly from beginning to end, & where I fully understood the context of the Games, was Atlanta 1996. First bidding process I followed was in 1997 for 2004 (although I do remember reading the headlines when SLC won 2002 in June 1995). Since then, I've collected books, memorabilia, done extensive online searches, & of course discovered this website back in 2000, when the 2008 race was starting to get underway.

The earliest Olympics I remember watching was Salt Lake City 2002, I was 5. The first Bidding Process I followed in DETAIL, was London 2012 Bidding Process. The first Bid process where I supported a Bid, but didn't know in detail about it for example, the political side etc, was the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, which started when I was 4, so I didn't know the in depth information about the Bids. London 2012 was the first DETAILED Bid I remember.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have some very vague memories of Seoul which is mostly that I woke up for school some mornings and there was coverage on. I remember years later seeing some clips of the studio set NBC used for their morning show and thinking it looked familiar as if I had seen it before. But other than that, the first Olympics I was seriously into was the `92 Olympics in Albertville. Been hooked ever since. I have at least some anecdote about my experience watching pretty much every Olympics since then.

In terms of bidding, the earliest I recall of that was in `95. I happened to be in Salt Lake just a week or so after they won the bid for the 2002 Winter Olympics. Don't think I started following the process that seriously though until at least 2003 for the Vancouver bid. And not surprisingly 2005 I followed very closely because of New York

Vague memories of Sarajevo but HUGE first memories of Los Angeles 1984. The Soviet-bloc boycott meant Canada kicked ass. And my family watched for two weeks, wrapped in Canadian flags and cheering on our 10 gold medalists. It was also the first time my parents allowed me to stay up passed midnight.

Interest in the bidding process began around 1990 in the fight for the 1996 Centennial Games. I had first learned of the bidding process while watching the opening ceremony of the 1988 Seoul Games. When the Norwegian team entered the stadium, the CBC's Brian Williams talked about Lillehammer winning the bid for the 1994 Games. Also during the Seoul Games, Toronto was ramping up their bid for the Centennial Games and of course the media went into a frenzy about what Ben Johnson story meant for the bid. I still have the special Time feature from 1990 about the six cities bidding for the Games. I remember loving Atlanta's bid logo because at the time I was in to swishy, streaky logos, but not really giving them much consideration. I figured it would be an Athens victory with maybe Toronto or Melbourne being the winner. Imagine if we had Gamesbids back then!

First memories are Sarajevo: I loved the name Hämälainen...Peter Angerer in biathlon and Torvill/Dean.

Oh, didn't see the bidding part of the question...first memory was the Barcelona/Albertville election, reading on the day that Berchtesgaden was bidding. I was just short of 11, so I had a late start into Olympic bidding compared to *cough* someone else.

Earliest Olympic memories.....Atlanta '96, 11 years old, watched most of it whilst we were on a family holiday in Devon. I remember the ceremonies, quite a lot of the athletics, and sadly I remember the bombing quite vividly. Michael Johnson is the first athlete I really remember looking up to as a youngster.

And I remember still my Dad bought me this magazine....which had an Olympics pull-out...so I was reading it at the same time as watching the Games. :D

$T2eC16dHJIIFHJpt,2oyBSS,zrzbFQ~~60_58.J

As for the bidding process, I got caught up in the early interest when London bid for the Games - around 2002/3. I found Gamesbids in late 2003 (ignore my join date, this is my second account), and because of this forum ended up following it all a lot closer than I otherwise would have done!

And I'm still here, and London 2012 is behind us.

I think we have had the discussion on when we got interested in the Olympics.

For me it was Atlanta 1996 when I was 9 and having Danyon Loader win double gold in the swimming.

The Olympic Bid process was a little later and it was about 2001 when Beijing won the right to host.

My Olympic memories;

Los Angels 1984 but not very clearly..Morisue.

Seoul 1988..my uncle spent many years going back and forth between my country and S.Korea on his business.

Atlanta 1996..Mohamed Ali.

Bid process;

Tokyo 2016&2020.

2024 SOG..One of my cousin lives permanently in the USA from about 10 years ago and the other cousin lives in Paris.So I'm really interested in where the next game goes after Tokyo.

I didn't really have a choice being interested in the games. It was sort of... everything. I have vague memories of being carried out of the stadium in 2000 from the closing. But hey, I was 2, can't remember much. I remember watching SLC 2002's closing, with the dinosaurs in my Grandma's house, because my dad was over in SLC. Athens was the first games which I can remember experiencing in a fairly large depth. I remember the fire rings, entering the park, falling asleep during the athlete's parade. Fun stuff. :) So yea, I've always been interested in the Olympics, since I can remember.

i started to have interest with olympics since athens 2004 at that time i still 6 years old and than i have followed olympic bidding since the 2016 race at the age of 10 (at the announcement time)

Yeah, we have had this before. But an evergreen topic.

First vague memories of the games was Mexico 68. First year at school - I can remember the posters with the Mexico logo put up around the school.

First paid attention to them - Munich 72. I remember all the fuss over Shane Gould, the beautiful stadium and park, Mark Spitz and, of course, the massacre. Remember poring over pamphlets and guides with all the Olympic sports pictograms, which fascinated me, and all the flags of the countries of the world - one petrol chain had these "passports" where each week you could collect stamp stickers from famous world athletes. I got them all and kept it for years.

First became a big fan of - From Montreal and Moscow. When I first became really addicted to sitting in front of the TV watching these cool unusual sports with people from all over the world - and it can't have been the Aussie Gold fever that did it - we didn't get many, if any, around that time. Moscow was funny too. Was in arts and media at Uni at the time, and of course normally the cool undergraduate thing to do would be to look down on the games. But because it was in Russia, and the USA was boycotting it and our evil right-wing PM wanted to as well, it was politically correct for we student lefties to watch and like them.

First followed bidding - from the Brisbane 1992 bid. Was interested vaguely (nothing like now) that Oz was in the race, and very much followed news of the Paris, Barcelona and Amsterdam bids. About this time I started reading a lot on Olympic politics and bidding. And, as a journo, I met the major bid face, Brissie mayor Sallyanne Atkinson, around the traps a bit at events like ground-breaking on the Expo '88 site. Then, for 96, Sydney was in the mix in a domestic race to bid - for which Melbourne of course wrangled the honours. I collected a lot of the Sydney literature and newspaper liftout stuff from the time - wish I still had them, and of course was a bit disappointed that Sydney didn't get the nod. I also spent a bit of time, and had good friends, in Melbourne during their bid so followed it, and their opinions and reactions, quite closely. Sydney 2000's bid and the aftermath, of course, I started following forensically.

Found GamesBIds - in the lead-up to the Athens games and as the 2012 race was hotting up. Was looking for info about the German domestic bid and why they chose Leipzig and stumbled across the asylum.

First memories are of 2004 where that crazy Irishman came and took out the Brazlian runner. Still remember my family freaking out as they watched it live. But the first Olympics I watched thoroughly was 2008. I think 2010 and all find Canadian success made me a true Olympic fan, and it was right around that time that I found this site. Took me about two years to join though for some reason. I think i first became interested in the bidding when my mom told me a few years ago that she worked for Toronto's 1996 bid committee. I got interested in Toronto hosting an Olympics and have followed the bidding side of the Olympics since.

I was a child when I remember my parents gave me an official t-shirt with Sam and another one with LA'84 logo. Also remember tv commercials. I went to Seoul'88 was fine and understood how important were the Olympics, but still wasn't as exciting as it is now.

It was in 1992 when I was really surprised and inspired by the Olympics. Above all the opening ceremony which was very emotional. The moment I fell in love with the Olympics was during the Barcelona OC, just between the Olympic flag-raising and the Olympic flame. Angelo Badalamenti composed "XXV Anniversary" and they mentioned all the previous Olympic Host Cities. That single part caught my full attention. :wub:

It was in 1992 when I was really surprised and inspired by the Olympics. Above all the opening ceremony which was very emotional. The moment I fell in love with the Olympics was during the Barcelona OC, just between the Olympic flag-raising and the Olympic flame. Angelo Badalamenti composed "XXV Anniversary" and they mentioned all the previous Olympic Host Cities. That single part caught my full attention. :wub:

Yeah, Barcelona was just... special. It was from Barcelona that the Olympics and i went from being great friends to passionate lovers. And the next year when Sydney won its bid, we moved in together.

And while in the Sochi winter mood, Lillehammer was the first where I was entranced by the WOGs. 1992-94 were vintage years. The thing is, 1994 might have been a great fling, but I think since then the WOGs and I have just become friends with benefits. We get together now and then for a good time, but don't text each other in-between.

Archived