Salt Lake City Bid Scandal: A Different Perspective

So today I was thinking about the Salt Lake City 2002 bid scandal and had a thought come to mind. I am not by any means saying what they did was okay or that I support it, but I would like your guys honest input.

The bid scandal is a sore mark for SLC and the IOC, rightly so. But SLC really COULD (not saying they should) be appreciated for recognizing the problem. Let me explain. We all know that what SLC had done, all past cities had done. It was common practice, it was how the process worked. But SLC was the first city to admit it and say that it was not right. It was a SLC journalist who uncovered it and thought that it was unfair and that cities should be awarded the games based on their merit and not on bribes. SLC can be compared to a drug addict who admits to themselves that there is a problem. It is for this reason that I believe, possibly, that SLC should not be presented so much as the city who was involved in a bid scandal, but instead as the city that uncovered bid bribes.

Also, it is not SLOC that should be appreciated, but the people of SLC because they felt it was not right and felt it was worth uncovering. SLOC was a part of the problem. The people were a possible solution to the problem.

Again, what SLC and SLOC did was not right and deserves to be condemned. But is it not reasonable to recognize Salt Lake as a city and people who tried to expose a corrupt system?

It is just a thought that I had and I am not sure how I feel about it. It would be nice to know the opinions of other olympic enthusiasts!

Thanks!

And to think Quebec wanted the 12 million dollars they spent back!

Quebec couldn't have possibly won on any accounts. Regardless if they had the mountain or not. They simply were bidding with old(er) venues when Salt Lake City was proposing brand spanking new ones. Who would you choose?

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason why American/European greed is humanity's worst nightmare

But Asian, South American, African and Oceanic greed is fine? What a bizarre statement.

Greed is bad -- I'll give you that. But I don't think it's terribly eye-opening to say so. It is common to all humanity -- just like deception, graft, pride, aggression, bitterness, jealousy, etc.

Much as the Games celebrate humanity, humans can be absolutely horrible. Humans are humanity's biggest problem or "worst nightmare" as you put it.

But Asian, South American, African and Oceanic greed is fine? What a bizarre statement.

Greed is bad -- I'll give you that. But I don't think it's terribly eye-opening to say so. It is common to all humanity -- just like deception, graft, pride, aggression, bitterness, jealousy, etc.

Much as the Games celebrate humanity, humans can be absolutely horrible. Humans are humanity's biggest problem or "worst nightmare" as you put it.

South American is fine as long they don't mess up with Northern Brazil

African...they take by their own rules, and not of the rich countries up North. What they really matter, is the preservation of wildlife, and of the homo sapiens

Oceanic (Basically Australia and New Zealand), they can survive, on the permanent absence of the US, and they have the toughest legislation to keep the Koala in peace

And Asian...This is what happens if you keep your eyes glued to China, South korea, and Japan respectively. Chinese greed is criminalised in favour of the working class, South korean, eh..., Japanese, a big jump in technological advancements. They even have the MOSTLY FAIR Salary ratio of CEO's to Employees (4:1), in which the US sees it as their potential threat. Central and South Asian, they don't need some FILTHY AMERICANS to survive if they were meant to use human flesh as Wal Mart's raw materials

After all, God DIDN'T create greed, Satan did, as a result of the Non-intentional biting of the "forbidden fruit"

South American is fine as long they don't mess up with Northern Brazil

African...they take by their own rules, and not of the rich countries up North. What they really matter, is the preservation of wildlife, and of the homo sapiens

Oceanic (Basically Australia and New Zealand), they can survive, on the permanent absence of the US, and they have the toughest legislation to keep the Koala in peace

And Asian...This is what happens if you keep your eyes glued to China, South korea, and Japan respectively. Chinese greed is criminalised in favour of the working class, South korean, eh..., Japanese, a big jump in technological advancements. They even have the MOSTLY FAIR Salary ratio of CEO's to Employees (4:1), in which the US sees it as their potential threat. Central and South Asian, they don't need some FILTHY AMERICANS to survive if they were meant to use human flesh as Wal Mart's raw materials

After all, God DIDN'T create greed, Satan did, as a result of the Non-intentional biting of the "forbidden fruit"

I don't believe in God, I'm an atheist. Anyway, back to your point, it is harsh to point out certain locations as greed. There are criminals in all countries, there are nice people in all countries. It's harsh to say European and American greed. What's it got to do with the Salt Lake City scandal anyway? But the main thing is, most of us are nice people. We are finding solutions.

• 4 weeks later...