Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

South Africa To Bid For 2024 Summer Olympics

Time to start a company that produces vuvuzelas.... :rolleyes:

Just wait for YouTube to reintegrate the vuvuzela button. :P

1. I'm not discounting the French. I've always acknowledged, if they bid, they'll be a formidable opponent. And there's a difference between recognizing South Africa's issues (which I think that everyone here does) than to boombastically amplify them, which is what you & a couple of others here do.

2. The vote for 2024 will be in 2017, after both Rio & Sochi. So far, Sochi 2014 is hosting fine. And Rio 2016 will be ready, just like Athens 2004 was. But that's why the IOC voted "safe" for 2020, so they can have a cushion before they push the envelope again. And that's why they'll do the same for 2022 (if Oslo stays in).

3. Yet you seem to still think that Almaty is a viable option bcuz they can come up with a "pretty plan".

4. And like China, the IOC can't ignore Africa forever. Which sends many athletes to the Summer Olympics & would represent over one Billion to the Olympic family. Again, like Athens, Rio will be ready. People made dire predictions about Sydney 2000, too, but those Games turned out fine, didn't they.

I know you aren't discounting them, others were. Sometimes I do question whether people realize the severity of South Africa's issues if several people are saying that other countries may as well not even bid if South Africa does.

Yeah the Sochi games are going great yet they still had the massive budget blowout. Much like the Brazil World Cup.

We don't know if Rio will be ready, the IOC is already telling them to speed things up and the stadiums for the world cup were meant to be done years ago.

Yeah Almaty is a viable option, venues were built and renovated for the Asian Winter Games and the upcoming winter Universiade. The country has a much higher standard of living than South Africa, as well as a much higher life expectancy. And again forumers like you are quick to dismiss Almaty's chances ranking Beijing above it. I'm not saying Almaty should host or will host, I believe they have the ability to make the shortlist and perhaps beat Beijing/Zhanwniomgegtrfd.

No the IOC can't ignore South Africa forever, but until the country improves more in several different areas then yeah the IOC can ignore them for a bit longer.

• Like 1

What bothers me here is when all we judge countries on is statistics rather than real experiences. I'm not even going to bother responding to the genocide diatribe because Zimbabwe was not even genocide. To confuse social tensions due to unequal standards of living and genocide is unfortunate. Again as the poster says, he has never been in my country. An interesting thing to point out to you is yes there are problems, but also thay south Africans in general are some of the most negative and critical people I have seen. People hardly ever want to say anything positive, always look for the fault. There are things that need fixing and I did not once say we don't have problems, at the moment the whole world is on the verge of many more issues than most are aware. But that doesn't mean you need to be completely and utterly alarmist, over dramatising facts.

• Like 2

I know you didn't say they have no problems. I'm sure South Africa is a fantastic nation however, I just don't believe they are a sure thing for the Olympics is all. Sorry that my stating of facts came off as alarmist but it was needed to back up my point that the country shouldn't host.

Yes I completely agree that a lot of countries in the world are suffering from issues. Turkey and Ukraine have had deadly riots which has/had put a bad spin on the respective cities bidding for the games The countries that belonged to PIIGS (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain) have suffered and are still suffering major economic problems. Spain with the high unemployment etc definitely played a part in them losing the Olympics.

I know you aren't discounting them, others were. Sometimes I do question whether people realize the severity of South Africa's issues if several people are saying that other countries may as well not even bid if South Africa does.

I know others were, but I wanted to make clear, that's not my position. I don't think its a matter of the others not understanding South Africa's issues, but them knowing that when the IOC seems to be focused on a destination, nothing can get in their way of that, & that's what makes them think that others bidding are just wasting their time, money & effort.

Yeah the Sochi games are going great yet they still had the massive budget blowout. Much like the Brazil World Cup.

We don't know if Rio will be ready, the IOC is already telling them to speed things up and the stadiums for the world cup were meant to be done years ago.

Again, what makes you think that South Africa would be another "massive budget blowout. They're approaching this very pragmatically, which is most likely why they refrained from bidding for 2020, & why their focusing their efforts with better equipped Durban (despite the objections of some), instead of more "picturesque" Cape Town (which would require more work).

The IOC also told Athens to hurry it up. But the Greeks managed to get everything done on time. I'm sure Rio will to, we'll just have to wait & see instead of already making dire predictions. With Brazil's national image on the line, I'm confident they'll be ready, just like Athens was.

• Like 2

Yeah Almaty is a viable option, venues were built and renovated for the Asian Winter Games and the upcoming winter Universiade. The country has a much higher standard of living than South Africa, as well as a much higher life expectancy. And again forumers like you are quick to dismiss Almaty's chances ranking Beijing above it. I'm not saying Almaty should host or will host, I believe they have the ability to make the shortlist and perhaps beat Beijing/Zhanwniomgegtrfd.

No the IOC can't ignore South Africa forever, but until the country improves more in several different areas then yeah the IOC can ignore them for a bit longer.

There's a good reason why Beijing ranks higher. You said it earlier yourself, China's "the world's largest nation, a sporting superpower which hosted great 2008 Games, despite controversy". What does Kazahkstan have? ONE medal that they won at the 2010 Winter Olympics. Not exactly a winter sport nation.

Having hosted the much smaller winter Asian games (which they co-hosted with Astana TBW) & some winter universaide doesn't automatically make them "viable". They might look good on paper, but in reality is a whole other story. Having some venues in place still doesn't equate to the accommodations & transportation which I'm not convinced that they have to handle the influx of people. Plus, we don't need another 'budget blowout' Winter Games being runned by another dictator. We already have that with Sochi 2014 & Putin.

Many were saying the same about China before they were finally awarded the 2008 Summer Olympics, that they "must improve first" their Human Rights issues, their massive pollution, their poverty, etc, etc, etc, "THEN, & only then" should they be awarded the Olympics. Well, obviously the IOC didn't listen to any of that self-righteous rhetoric. And I don't think that they'll listen to it either when it finally comes to South Africa. The Olympics will eventually belong to ALL the populated continents of the world, sooner rather than later, whether everyone likes it or not.

Again, what makes you think that South Africa would be another "massive budget blowout. They're approaching this very pragmatically, which is most likely why they refrained from bidding for 2020, & why their focusing their efforts with better equipped Durban (despite the objections of some), instead of more "picturesque" Cape Town (which would require more work).

The IOC also told Athens to hurry it up. But the Greeks managed to get everything done on time. I'm sure Rio will to, we'll just have to wait & see instead of already making dire predictions. With Brazil's national image on the line, I'm confident they'll be ready, just like Athens was.

Oh i'm not saying South Africa will have a massive budget blowout was just referring to Brazil in the world cup as a way to show that Brazil was a risk that isn't paying off, but that isn't to say that they can't turn around like Athens and have a successful games.

There's a good reason why Beijing ranks higher. You said it earlier yourself, China's "the world's largest nation, a sporting superpower which hosted great 2008 Games, despite controversy". What does Kazahkstan have? ONE medal that they won at the 2010 Winter Olympics. Not exactly a winter sport nation.

Having hosted the much smaller winter Asian games (which they co-hosted with Astana TBW) & some winter universaide doesn't automatically make them "viable". They might look good on paper, but in reality is a whole other story. Having some venues in place still doesn't equate to the accommodations & transportation which I'm not convinced that they have to handle the influx of people. Plus, we don't need another 'budget blowout' Winter Games being runned by another dictator. We already have that with Sochi 2014 & Putin.

Yeah, in aspects China is great, they hosted a great games... that at the time of the 2022 vote would have only been 7 years on from their last games. There was no way of denying China in 2008 as shown by the voting results and it was their first games however I think they can and will deny Beijing. However, the bid seems shaky. Two cities 200km out. Beijing is only hosting the ice sport events while Zhangjiakou hosts the snow sport events. First time bid, basically no past winter sporting hosting history.

Many were saying the same about China before they were finally awarded the 2008 Summer Olympics, that they "must improve first" their Human Rights issues, their massive pollution, their poverty, etc, etc, etc, "THEN, & only then" should they be awarded the Olympics. Well, obviously the IOC didn't listen to any of that self-righteous rhetoric. And I don't think that they'll listen to it either when it finally comes to South Africa. The Olympics will eventually belong to ALL the populated continents of the world, sooner rather than later, whether everyone likes it or not.

I feel like neither of us is going to convince the other so it's basically a stalemate. Guess we'll have to wait for the 2024 vote, however, if I was France I wouldn't skip this race.

Yeah, in aspects China is great, they hosted a great games... that at the time of the 2022 vote would have only been 7 years on from their last games. There was no way of denying China in 2008 as shown by the voting results and it was their first games however I think they can and will deny Beijing. However, the bid seems shaky. Two cities 200km out. Beijing is only hosting the ice sport events while Zhangjiakou hosts the snow sport events. First time bid, basically no past winter sporting hosting history.

I'm not saying Beijing is going to win. I've never claimed that. As long as Oslo is in the picture (& perhaps Krakow), Beijing is nothing but a last resort option, as I've stated all along. I just don't see the mighty Chinese being so easily overlooked (like some here like to claim) for the untested, & non-winter sporting prowess likes of Almaty. That's where our disagreement with these two come in.

And how is 120 miles apart from Beijing to Zhangjiakou any different from the 115 miles from Oslo to Lillehammer, or 110 miles from Krakow to Jasna, besides not much. And Sochi 2014 was also pretty much a first-time bid (for 2002 they weren't short-listed) with basically no past winter sporting hosting history. So not much difference there either.

I feel like neither of us is going to convince the other so it's basically a stalemate. Guess we'll have to wait for the 2024 vote, however, if I was France I wouldn't skip this race.

I agree. But I still say you're waaay underestimating the situation, since there's precedence on how the IOC votes on these things. And I wouldn't want Paris to refrain, either. Nor Rome for that matter. If I were an IOC member I'd be torn between those three.

I'm not saying Beijing is going to win. I've never claimed that. As long as Oslo is in the picture (& perhaps Krakow), Beijing is nothing but a last resort option, as I've stated all along. I just don't see the mighty Chinese being so easily overlooked (like some here like to claim) for the untested, & non-winter sporting prowess likes of Almaty. That's where our disagreement with these two come in.

And how is 120 miles apart from Beijing to Zhangjiakou any different from the 115 miles from Oslo to Lillehammer, or 110 miles from Krakow to Jasna, besides not much. And Sochi 2014 was also pretty much a first-time bid (for 2002 they weren't short-listed) with basically no past winter sporting hosting history. So not much difference there either.

I agree. But I still say you're waaay underestimating the situation, since there's precedence on how the IOC votes on these things. And I wouldn't want Paris to refrain, either. Nor Rome for that matter. If I were an IOC member I'd be torn between those three.

I can see Beijing being shortlisted as a courtesy but I can't see them doing well. Lillehammer isn't hosting as many events as Zhangwhatever and the IOC has experience with Lillehammer before. As for Krakow the IOC has had bidding experience before with Zakopane and Jasna is only hosting alpine skiing but I also don't like Krakow's bid as it is bi-national which is something in the past the IOC has steered clear of. However, if Oslo pulls out then I can see them hosting. Yes Russia won on almost a first bid however they hadn't hosted a games since 1980 plus Russia was in a whole new era. However, China has hosted very recently and it would be the first city to host both winter and summer games so i'm just saying that Almaty may edge them out in the votes if both are shortlisted.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. I mean this is all just my personal opinion anyway, I can see South Africa winning over Rome just unsure about Paris but no doubts about it, South Africa will get quite a lot of votes.