South Africa To Bid For 2024 Summer Olympics

GBModerator

I think it's the sight of those cruise ships sitting out there in Sochi Bay that flipped the switch for the South Africans. If Russia can get a couple of cruise ships to sit out a Winter Olympics; then getting a few of our own in balmy Durban in 2024 shouldn't be all that difficult.

And Tony, DONCHA PM me again! U're a f*cking liar!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the sight of those cruise ships sitting out there in Sochi Bay that flipped the switch for the South Africans. If Russia can get a couple of cruise ships to sit out a Winter Olympics; then getting a few of our own in balmy Durban in 2024 shouldn't be all that difficult.

And Tony, DONCHA PM me again! U're a f*cking liar!!

Oh my. I am 16. 8th May 1997 I was born. I don't know how I can prove it? I'm not posting a pic, because anyone can view these forums.

Wait! I never started the debate on my age. You lot did. I was giving my view on the topic, and you were like about me being 4. There are millions of websites on the internet. I actually don't need to prove anything to anyone. That is my last comment on the age matter.

Well start posting like a 16 year old and not some four year old having tantrums because they want to be noticed.

You haven't posted anything that raises my regards of your Olympic analytical abilities. The few posts that have been okay (yes, there have ben one or two, but less than a handful) are generally stating the bleeding obvious and just aping what seems to be the popular opinion in a thread at the time.

Wait! I never started the debate on my age. You lot did. I was giving my view on the topic, and you were like about me being 4. There are millions of websites on the internet. I actually don't need to prove anything to anyone. That is my last comment on the age matter.

You're asking us to accept that when you were 4 years old, you made a prediction about the host of the Olympics and when we're viewing your track record for predicting hosts (which you offered up completely out of the blue). That in and of itself opens up the age debate and makes you seem ridiculous. So when someone questions that, you retract and say "well, just don't count the first to then." We'll give you that you predicted London because that's your hometown (you've mentioned it a couple of times) and maybe after that you were interested in the subject. But don't give us this crap that you were predicting hosts at age 4 or 6.

Walk away, Tony. Just walk away from this conversation instead of trying to defend yourself. You are indefensible right now.

You're asking us to accept that when you were 4 years old, you made a prediction about the host of the Olympics and when we're viewing your track record for predicting hosts (which you offered up completely out of the blue). That in and of itself opens up the age debate and makes you seem ridiculous. So when someone questions that, you retract and say "well, just don't count the first to then." We'll give you that you predicted London because that's your hometown (you've mentioned it a couple of times) and maybe after that you were interested in the subject. But don't give us this crap that you were predicting hosts at age 4 or 6.

Walk away, Tony. Just walk away from this conversation instead of trying to defend yourself. You are indefensible right now.

Clap Clap. You got your wish. I'm having another break. Sorry guys. I know my age, and I am sorry you can't believe that.

Clap Clap. You got your wish. I'm having another break. Sorry guys. I know my age, and I am sorry you can't believe that.

We can believe that part (I think). What we can't believe is you predicting Olympic hosts at the age of 4.

Once again, I apologize for everyone who has had to wade through these pages because Tony had to try and defend his honor.

I don't know if the RSA president is in Sochi or what, but I think RSA is walking away with a lot of credits and contracts promises w/ Chinese & Russian firms for a Durban build. And if this scares away others, then it'll actually be a win-win for everyone.

I'm sure the timing here isn't coincidental even though South Africa doesn't have an athlete competing in Sochi (I think only 3 African nations are there.. South Africa isn't 1 of them). Definitely a good time to mingle with other foreign nationals. Whether or not that will result in votes remains to be seen, but to your point, if it truly is in the cards for South Africa (and that's still an *if*), they might as well assert their presence now and save others the trouble.

Well, we are talking about the South African Candidate and not the Chinese Candidate, but great humor. PS. Baron, can you reply to PM Please. Sorry back on topic now.

africa card is st very valuable but after multi billionaire super power russians unprepared sochi and and future power brazils delaying i dont see SA will be awarded in one shot.. but still good chance for finals and will change the winner probably.

and 24 race will be the toughest ever ( inc. 12 race) 2 new frontiers well prepared and good cards they have..centennial spirit of paris, 20's back drawn rome and america, ultra mega enormous rich fifa winner qatar ...

all can handle nice ones but lets wait till rio.. it will be the key point of 24 race

I've been into Sport and Computers since an early age. I started researching about Politics at the age of 6 or 7 believe it or not.

If you started that young (as I did) then you would understand many more things, and you wouldn't have such a HUGE bias. Do you think I want America to host a games, or get the most medals in Sochi? Yes of course I do, but I understand the politics of the IOC and can admit that my nation and views are not the best or from heaven above. From this I know that a US win is very unlikely in 2024 (and a European one at that), I know that Team USA kinda sucks this year, etc.

Maybe you should take a little break (as I kinda did). Just read the forums and peoples views, learn more about the Olympic history, global events, the current Geo-political climate in the world and then come-back here before you get banned. You seem like on the inside your a nice kid, but one who could become more worldly.

I'm just a lurker, but I don't see why South Africa is this front runner just because they haven't hosted before. Cape Town bid in '04 but they didn't win automatically because they were in a new place, and same goes for Rio. They bid twice before they won, once in '04 and again in 2012, both times not becoming a candidate city. In my opinion, the location of a city in a nation or even a continent really shouldn't matter when it comes to it. The quality of the actual bid and all that other cheese that the IOC looks for in a bid should decide.

If you started that young (as I did) then you would understand many more things, and you wouldn't have such a HUGE bias. Do you think I want America to host a games, or get the most medals in Sochi? Yes of course I do, but I understand the politics of the IOC and can admit that my nation and views are not the best or from heaven above. From this I know that a US win is very unlikely in 2024 (and a European one at that), I know that Team USA kinda sucks this year, etc.

Maybe you should take a little break (as I kinda did). Just read the forums and peoples views, learn more about the Olympic history, global events, the current Geo-political climate in the world and then come-back here before you get banned. You seem like on the inside your a nice kid, but one who could become more worldly.

Thank you. I may of come across really bad, but I'm truely not. I will admit, I am bias, but I'm not a nasty fake person. I am who I say I am. Thanks for the advice.

I just honestly want to feel accepted. I've been on the internet for years, but this is my first forum. I found it through Google Images, where I was searching for images on Olympic Stadiums, and clicked a link and found the website. I then browsed for 2 months (so from October - December 2013), and then joined as a member. As I said, I want to feel accepted, and I am who I am.

I'm just a lurker, but I don't see why South Africa is this front runner just because they haven't hosted before. Cape Town bid in '04 but they didn't win automatically because they were in a new place, and same goes for Rio. They bid twice before they won, once in '04 and again in 2012, both times not becoming a candidate city. In my opinion, the location of a city in a nation or even a continent really shouldn't matter when it comes to it. The quality of the actual bid and all that other cheese that the IOC looks for in a bid should decide.

P, the IOC is very much an "image"-conscious int'l organization. They have 54 constituents on the African continent (that's 1/4th of their total membership) chomping at the bit. That large a percentage of your org cannot be denied for long. RSA has shown it can host these huge mega-events. 2010 was a successful outing for a country that had never done one on that scale. It proved they can tackle it; and they've also prudently waited 14 years before wanting to party again. Those are fairly strong enough reasons.

P, the IOC is very much an "image"-conscious int'l organization. They have 54 constituents on the African continent (that's 1/4th of their total membership) chomping at the bit. That large a percentage of your org cannot be denied for long. RSA has shown it can host these huge mega-events. 2010 was a successful outing for a country that had never done one on that scale. It proved they can tackle it; and they've also prudently waited 14 years before partying again. Those are fairly strong enough reasons.

delete 15 of these votes coming from north and kenya

common dude fifa cup is st u can already make in your garden just 20 teams and back of dem. dont u do that baron.. qatar will host fifa and the size of a country double of cyprus island and a population less then a million ... fifa champ is not a proof of good hosting of olympics. panam asian games even universiade is ok but fifa cup meeh :)

delete 15 of these votes coming from north and kenya

common dude fifa cup is st u can already make in your garden just 20 teams and back of dem. dont u do that baron.. qatar will host fifa and the size of a country double of cyprus island and a population less then a million ... fifa champ is not a proof of good hosting of olympics. panam asian games even universiade is ok but fifa cup meeh :)

:blink::blink: U're making no sense whatsoever, emre. Disagree with your views.

I've explained this before, but Cape Town didn't win 2004 bcuz the "pull" of bringing the Olympics "back home" to Greece was stronger back then than bringing the Olympics to Africa. Not to mention that Rome was initially considered the favorite for those Games. Plus, South Aftica was a newly democratic nation back then. And even with those hurdles that the South Africans had to tackle, they still made it to the final vote & did quite well in it.

And while Rio did try twice before, they faced more compelling competition. Again, the pull of Olympics back in Greece was stronger than any other appeal at the time for 2004. And for 2012, the field was already so strong with the worlds greatest capitals already knocking on the IOC's door was enough to put Rio aside for another round. Plus, the IOC still didn't feel as confident with the Brazilians to deliver. That only happened once they hosted the 2007 Pan Ams, which gave the IOC the incentive to include them on the 2016 short-list, & well, the rest is history. Something that they're now seeing in South Africa (with all the international events that they've already hosted) & seeing that the next time they're more ready than they were back in 1997 when the 2004 took place.

Instead of basing things through merely black-&-white lenses, take the time to dissect & study all the intangibles & variables from previous races that go along with these geopolitical bidding circuses. Which sorry to say, mainly seems to come from the newbies here from the range of 15-25 y.o's.

Different times with the IOC back then. In 1997 (when the vote for the `04 Olympics took place), South Africa had only recently emerged from the era of apartheid where they were shunned by the Olympic movement. So it's not like the IOC was overly interested in heading to Africa for the first time.

Now they've seen FIFA have their presence there. And they want to include that on their world map as well. You say the location of a city in a nation shouldn't matter. Well, it does. And the quality of the actual bid isn't the only determining factor that the IOC is looking for. Rio is proof of that since they were hardly the most technically sound bid.

I have a tough time believing that he started studying politics at the age of 6 considering how little knowledge he has of anything at 16. I'm also convinced that Tony has money on Rome or something. Idk why he's so obsessed over them winning.

Moving on, if South Africa is in a position where they are incapable of wasting away billions like Sochi did, Durban makes the most sense. A Olympic Park complex is already mostly in place, and several universities in the city that could benefit from state of the art sports complexes.

You say the location of a city in a nation shouldn't matter. Well, it does. And the quality of the actual bid isn't the only determining factor that the IOC is looking for. Rio is proof of that since they were hardly the most technically sound bid.

Exactly. And it's what also got us Beijing & now Sochi. And it's what proponents of making the Games more "inclusive & universal" will always argue. Just look at Baron & Pix Vic! Lmfao

Anyone saying that location shouldn't matter is merely fooling themselves, since it's always about "location, location, location"!

I think SA is probably gonna win however their capable cities would still need A LOT of infrastructure upgrades which is likely going to lead to problems, and the IOC who has already been getting criticism for beijing and sochi, and just being ridiculously expensive, would only see increased harassment from the press. Not to mention, as has already been posted, this could turn off other large countries from future bid.

Archived