South Africa To Bid For 2024 Summer Olympics

GBModerator

South Africa "don't have a chance" for 2024? Please, Tony. That brief moment of rationalism that you had earlier in the thread is now completely gone & disappeared into the Italian sunset.

They won't have 3 Non-European Summer Olympic Games in a row.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. It's not a factor then. But I'm sure that if Rome doesn't win the 2024 Summer Olympics, it won't be because Turin hosted the 2006 Winter Olympics, it will be because another Bid is stronger. Again, Durban should Bid for 2028, because 2024 is coming back to Europe. Rome VS Paris VS Berlin.

I'm not saying it's going to be a factor. I'm just saying don't go off 1 press conference where something was said by an IOC member and act as if it's an official rule or something. And for crying out loud, enough with the predictions as part of every post. Although that's new for you to include Berlin in that.

I still don't get where this love of South Africa comes from. Is it because Africa has never hosted an Olympics? Neither has Antarctica. I don't see anyone rushing to host a games there.

Both would be terrible choices. You thought Sochi and Rio was filled with corruption? A South Africa bid would be filled with murder on a nightly basis.

Was there murder on a nightly basis during the World Cup? If there was, I don't seem to recall.

You know where the love of South Africa comes from? FIFA got there first. Now the IOC wants a piece of that action. They want to open up the Olympics to the continent of Africa which, like FYI noted, is home to more people than either Europe or the Americas. Maybe 2024 isn't it, but an Olympics in Africa is inevitable.

Thank You. Although, South Africa don't have a chance for 2024 IMO. It's Rome's time. It's Europe's time.

Hasn't happened before. Doesn't mean it wouldn't happen here. I agree with you that I think Europe has just as good a shot at landing these Olympics as South Africa does, but South Africa will be a very formidable opponent.

Why not? Explain.

Ok. Can you recall a period of time in the past where there has been 3 Non-European Summer Olympics in a row? No you can't because it didn't happen. 2 Non-European Summer Olympics happens OCCASIONALLY, let alone 3.

Unamed US city, Paris, Unnamed South African City, Rome.

Jeez that would be one hell of a bidding race. An amazing result if South Africa got it and massive angst for the US and Paris not winning again.

The romantic in me wants it to be Paris 2024 but with South Africa in there, it would surely go to the wire.

You don't know that. As much as you'd like to think that you can see into the future, you simply can't. Under normal circumstances you could be right, but if South Africa is indeed in the 2024 picture, then it's no longer normal circumstances.

There's a first time for everything, just like before the 2020 vote many were saying that Tokyo couldn't win 2020 cuz PyeongChang was hosting 2018 & the IOC "ain't gonna have back-to-back Asian games". Well, they all got proved wrong. And if any bidder has the great potential of breaking that "no more than 12 years for European Summer Games" streak, it's the South Africans, on a continent with over ONE BILLION people that's never had the honor nor the privilege to do so, ever.

You don't know that. As much as you'd like to think that you can see into the future, you simply can't. Under normal circumstances you could be right, but if South Africa is indeed in the 2024 picture, then it's no longer normal circumstances.

There's a first time for everything, just like before the 2020 vote many were saying that Tokyo couldn't win 2020 cuz PyeongChang was hosting 2018 & the IOC "ain't gonna have back-to-back Asian games". Well, they all got proved wrong. And if any bidder has the great potential of breaking that "no more than 12 years for European Summer Games" streak, it's the South Africans, on a continent with over ONE BILLION people that's never had the honor nor the privilege to do so, ever.

The 2020 Bid with 2 Asian Olympics in a row was not an issue IMO. It's Winter 2018 and Summer 2020. With this discussion, it's Summer. There is more chance of back to back Asian Winter Olympics, then 3 Non-European Olympics, and back to back Asian Winter Olympics won't happen, unless Oslo and Krakow pull out.

Ok. Can you recall a period of time in the past where there has been 3 Non-European Summer Olympics in a row? No you can't because it didn't happen. 2 Non-European Summer Olympics happens OCCASIONALLY, let alone 3.

Again, doesn't mean it can't. Perhaps the circumstances didn't permit themselves in the past for it to happen. But this time they could. An if you want precedence for first time things, again look at back-to-back Asia 2018/2020.

The 2020 Bid with 2 Asian Olympics in a row was not an issue IMO. It's Winter 2018 and Summer 2020. With this discussion, it's Summer. There is more chance of back to back Asian Winter Olympics, then 3 Non-European Olympics, and back to back Asian Winter Olympics won't happen, unless Oslo and Krakow pull out.

Maybe not with you, but many OTHERS were making PyeongChang 2018 an issue for Tokyo 2020. Your opinion is not the only ones on these boards, ya know.

Can you recall a period of time in the past where 6 continents, not 4, where vying to host an Olympics? No you can't because it's never happened before. There have been numerous times with 2 consecutive non-European Olympics. At some point, there's a pretty good chance they will be 3 in a row, just like how FIFA eventually had 2 consecutive non-European World Cups. Just because it's never happened before is not reason to believe it couldn't happen in the future.

Again, doesn't mean it can't. Perhaps the circumstances didn't permit themselves in the past for it to happen. But this time they could. An if you want precedence for first time things, again look at back-to-back Asia 2018/2020.

Maybe not with you, but many OTHERS were making PyeongChang 2018 an issue for Tokyo 2020. Your opinion is not the only ones on these boards, ya know.

I know. There are 20,000 odd members, I know it's not only my opinion, but facts are facts, and most of the time, my predictions with hosts have been right. 2008 Summer Olympics, I predicted Beijing, Beijing won. 2010 Winter Olympics, I predicted Vancouver, Vancouver won. 2012 Summer Olympics, I predicted London, London won (yes I was bias) 2014 Winter Olympics I was wrong, I predicted PyeongChang, but Sochi won. 2016 Summer Olympics, I predicted Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro won. 2018 Winter Olympics, I predicted PyeongChang, PyeongChang won, 2020 Summer Olympics, I predicted Tokyo, Tokyo won. 6 out of 7 is not bad, and I honestly predicted all 7 and 6 I got right.

I know. There are 20,000 odd members, I know it's not only my opinion, but facts are facts, and most of the time, my predictions with hosts have been right. 2008 Summer Olympics, I predicted Beijing, Beijing won. 2010 Winter Olympics, I predicted Vancouver, Vancouver won. 2012 Summer Olympics, I predicted London, London won (yes I was bias) 2014 Winter Olympics I was wrong, I predicted PyeongChang, but Sochi won. 2016 Summer Olympics, I predicted Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro won. 2018 Winter Olympics, I predicted PyeongChang, PyeongChang won, 2020 Summer Olympics, I predicted Tokyo, Tokyo won. 6 out of 7 is not bad, and I honestly predicted all 7 and 6 I got right.

Tony, this might be your worst post ever and that's saying something..

First off, you only joined these boards a couple of months ago, so we'll have to take your word for it on this. More importantly though, the vote for the 2008 Summer Olympics was in 2001. If you are actually 16 years old as you claim you are, that means you were 4 years old when that vote happened!!! Thank you for re-opening the door on the subject of your age. And now I'm starting to think again that we're being trolled. Holy freaking crap.

Tony, you were three years old when Beijing won - I don't accept your observation of IOC politics was that high at that time (even if any toddler could have told you beijing would win).

Many of us also predicted those, so what's your point.

But to further elaborate on those, why did you "predict" Beijing & Rio. Hindsight is always 20/20, & many during the times of those races wouldn't have agreed, particularly cuz they were bias with their own other bidder of choice. But South Africa could easily be the Beijjng & Rio of 2024, & if you can't see that, then you're blind as a bat.

Tony, looks like you're starting to lose what little credibility you had left, very fast here!

Tony, this might be your worst post ever and that's saying something..

First off, you only joined these boards a couple of months ago, so we'll have to take your word for it on this. More importantly though, the vote for the 2008 Summer Olympics was in 2001. If you are actually 16 years old as you claim you are, that means you were 4 years old when that vote happened!!! Thank you for re-opening the door on the subject of your age. And now I'm starting to think again that we're being trolled. Holy freaking crap.

I didn't know the full extent, but I could talk, and because my parents are interested in the Olympics, I remember them looking up the Bidding Process, and I didn't know the details at the time, but I just said Beijing. It shouldn't really count as I didn't know the full details, like at the age of 3 or 4, I didn't know the political side etc. And no, you are not being trolled. I am 16. Not going into that subject again.

Even at 3 or 4, any toddler could careless about the Olympics & be more enthralled with their dolls & toy trucks.

I've been into Sport and Computers since an early age. I started researching about Politics at the age of 6 or 7 believe it or not.

I didn't know the full extent, but I could talk, and because my parents are interested in the Olympics, I remember them looking up the Bidding Process, and I didn't know the details at the time, but I just said Beijing. It shouldn't really count as I didn't know the full details, like at the age of 3 or 4, I didn't know the political side etc. And no, you are not being trolled. I am 16. Not going into that subject again.

The fact you're offering up a prediction you made when you were 4 years old.. I don't even know where to go with that. You're touting your prediction record as being 6 out of 7, but you seriously had the wherewithal to make an informed prediction at that age? And then again every successive 2nd year? You can't honestly expect us to take you seriously on that one. When you're 3 or 4, you're barely old enough to use the toilet, let alone know IOC politics well enough to understand the bid process. Okay, so your parents had an opinion. That's a paper thin argument to take credit for that one thought and offer it as your prediction.

I've been into Sport and Computers since an early age. I started researching about Politics at the age of 6 or 7 believe it or not.

You were 6 when Vancouer was announced as host. If you started researching politics after that.. you know what, this is stupid. Either we're being trolled or you're just completely full of crap. If you want to have a serious discussion as part of these forums, you shouldn't be posted garbage like this.

The fact you're offering up a prediction you made when you were 4 years old.. I don't even know where to go with that. You're touting your prediction record as being 6 out of 7, but you seriously had the wherewithal to make an informed prediction at that age? And then again every successive 2nd year? You can't honestly expect us to take you seriously on that one. When you're 3 or 4, you're barely old enough to use the toilet, let alone know IOC politics well enough to understand the bid process. Okay, so your parents had an opinion. That's a paper thin argument to take credit for that one thought and offer it as your prediction.

Ok if your going to be picky, and say the 2008 and 2010 ones didn't count, 4 out of 5 I got right. I'm not a fake. I am 16, and I turn 17 on 8th May. Like I said, I didn't know the Political side of the Olympics at the time, but I remember saying Beijing. Of course, I didn't know the details of the Bid. I know who I am. I'm not getting into this silly discussion about a irrelevant topic about my age, where I have no reason to lie.

I don't. I would have ben more interested in Huckleberry Hound and Thunderbirds at that age.

I was 5 years old when the Olympics were in Los Angeles. As into the Olympics as I've been since I was in middle school, I have absolutely no recollection whatsoever of the `84 Games. And I only have very vague memories of `88 and by then I was at least 9, so I wasn't exactly a little kid anymore.

You were 6 when Vancouer was announced as host. If you started researching politics after that.. you know what, this is stupid. Either we're being trolled or you're just completely full of crap. If you want to have a serious discussion as part of these forums, you shouldn't be posted garbage like this.

I'm not trolling or talking crap. I am 16! I have no reason to lie.

Ok if your going to be picky, and say the 2008 and 2010 ones didn't count, 4 out of 5 I got right. I'm not a fake. I am 16, and I turn 17 on 8th May. Like I said, I didn't know the Political side of the Olympics at the time, but I remember saying Beijing. Of course, I didn't know the details of the Bid. I know who I am. I'm not getting into this silly discussion about a irrelevant topic about my age, where I have no reason to lie.

Do you understand why people here have no respect for you? You can't possibly be that naive at this point. You're constantly getting caught in lies and exaggerations and then telling us "I have no reason to lie" right after you lie. You can't retract an incredibly stupid statement and then pretend you said something else when we all saw it. And I've gotta say.. if you're that into Olympic bidding, why is it that you didn't find this site sooner?

I'm going to apologize on behalf of everything who has to wade through the pages of nonsense on this thread because of the crapstorm you unleashed here, Tony. I'm only hoping that either baron or Athens comes in here shortly because I am just dying to hear their response to this.

I'm not trolling or talking crap. I am 16! I have no reason to lie.

And yet you just lied to us. Stop lying to us. For your sake more than the rest of us.

Do you understand why people here have no respect for you? You can't possibly be that naive at this point. You're constantly getting caught in lies and exaggerations and then telling us "I have no reason to lie" right after you lie. You can't retract an incredibly stupid statement and then pretend you said something else when we all saw it. And I've gotta say.. if you're that into Olympic bidding, why is it that you didn't find this site sooner?

I'm going to apologize on behalf of everything who has to wade through the pages of nonsense on this thread because of the crapstorm you unleashed here, Tony. I'm only hoping that either baron or Athens comes in here shortly because I am just dying to hear their response to this.

And yet you just lied to us. Stop lying to us. For your sake more than the rest of us.

Wait! I never started the debate on my age. You lot did. I was giving my view on the topic, and you were like about me being 4. There are millions of websites on the internet. I actually don't need to prove anything to anyone. That is my last comment on the age matter.

Archived