South Africa To Bid For 2024 Summer Olympics

GBModerator

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hakuna mata-ta.

Bye, bye Boston, Dallas, Paris, Rome . . .

(Gosh, they announced much earlier than I expected. I guess it's to get the IOC family talking about something in Sochi.)

I wouldn't rule out Rome and Paris, especially Rome.

THE CAT'S OUTA DA BAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm at school, but if I was home I would be jumping for joy right now! I'm so happy!

I wouldn't rule out Rome and Paris, especially Rome.

Well considering SA is the only nation that has given a definite "We are bidding" then we very well could see SA get it's first games in '24.

It's still very early in the game. Plenty of time for other cities and countries to declare their intentions.

I understand; I'm not saying that South Africa will be the only nation, but the IOC already looks favorably on South Africa and the fact that they seem very sure of their bid, rather then France, Italy, and the US; all which a favorable nations none of them seem very keen on bidding at this point in time. I'm expecting a South Africa win.

If I were the US, Paris or Rome, I would steer clear of 2024. Too much risk. Too little chance of reward. Another loss for the US or Paris would have big repercussions on their willingness to bid in the future. I would walk away.

Sure, there's a possibility that Durban's bid won't be up to scratch, but the possibility is too small to chance it. And even if the IOC isn't happy with the quality of their bid, that's the IOC's problem. There's no reason why the other potential bidders should offer themselves up as sacrificial lambs just in case the IOC doesn't stampede over to Africa.

If I were the US, Paris or Rome, I would steer clear of 2024. Too much risk. Too little chance of reward. Another loss for the US or Paris would have big repercussions on their willingness to bid in the future. I would walk away.

Sure, there's a possibility that Durban's bid won't be up to scratch, but the possibility is too small to chance it. And even if the IOC isn't happy with the quality of their bid, that's the IOC's problem. There's no reason why the other potential bidders should offer themselves up as sacrificial lambs just in case the IOC doesn't stampede over to Africa.

The US and especially Paris I agree with. Rome not as much though. I think they know they could have been competitive for 2020 had outside circumstances not forced them out. So they don't carry the stigma of past losses since it will have been 20 years since their last Summer bid.

I agree the IOC is walking a fine line here. I know it's 1 of the ultimate points of debate here just how eager the IOC is to go to Africa and what their chances are to win. That said, do you almost get the sense that South Africa is announcing their intentions this earlier just to scare other suitors off from wanting to bid?

The US and especially Paris I agree with. Rome not as much though. I think they know they could have been competitive for 2020 had outside circumstances not forced them out. So they don't carry the stigma of past losses since it will have been 20 years since their last Summer bid. I agree the IOC is walking a fine line here. I know it's 1 of the ultimate points of debate here just how eager the IOC is to go to Africa and what their chances are to win. That said, do you almost get the sense that South Africa is announcing their intentions this earlier just to scare other suitors off from wanting to bid?

Oh yes, the "scare away the competition" part is probably an important one. At least now US, Paris and Rome know what they will be up against (no matter if Durban or CT, I doubt Joburg is even in contention).

This could either lead to them pulling together excellent bids to have a fighting chance or just leave it. I think Rome would have a serious struggle to explain why Italy should get the Games just 18 years after Torino, compared to an entire continent still blanked out. And Paris and the US seem so undecided so far that they might find themselves in a trap against highly motivated SA where they cannot get out.

Of course, there's also the deluded Bakus of this world, but someone has to make up the numbers...

SA's economy might be on a totally different level, but they do have experience now and could present an enthusiasm that will make the negative points seem negligible.

And definitely good thing that the news is out there now.

Oh yes, the "scare away the competition" part is probably an important one. At least now US, Paris and Rome know what they will be up against (no matter if Durban or CT, I doubt Joburg is even in contention).

This could either lead to them pulling together excellent bids to have a fighting chance or just leave it. I think Rome would have a serious struggle to explain why Italy should get the Games just 18 years after Torino, compared to an entire continent still blanked out. And Paris and the US seem so undecided so far that they might find themselves in a trap against highly motivated SA where they cannot get out.

Of course, there's also the deluded Bakus of this world, but someone has to make up the numbers...

SA's economy might be on a totally different level, but they do have experience now and could present an enthusiasm that will make the negative points seem negligible.

And definitely good thing that the news is out there now.

Your point on Turin 2006 is irrelevant. When PyeongChang got the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, in the press conference, the IOC stated that Summer Olympics hosting won't affect Winter Olympics hosting, and vice versa. So Turin 2006 will not affect Rome 2024. Here's the press conference, and the point I'm making is stated at exactly 10 minutes into the video. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmY76NC0n88 - Source: Youtube.

Your point on Turin 2006 is irrelevant. When PyeongChang got the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, in the press conference, the IOC stated that Summer Olympics hosting won't affect Winter Olympics hosting, and vice versa. So Turin 2006 will not affect Rome 2024. Here's the press conference, and the point I'm making is stated at exactly 10 minutes into the video. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmY76NC0n88 - Source: Youtube.

I didn't breach rules, I did display the source: IOC/Youtube.

My point is that Italy hosted ANY kind of Olympics 18 years before, while Africa has hosted NO Olympics of any kind ever.

I don't care what someone was blabbering in some press conference, when it comes to voting such diplomatic blabla is irrelevant too.

Ok. America hosted 2 Olympics in 6 Years. Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake City 2002. Explain that.

Your point on Turin 2006 is irrelevant. When PyeongChang got the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, in the press conference, the IOC stated that Summer Olympics hosting won't affect Winter Olympics hosting, and vice versa. So Turin 2006 will not affect Rome 2024.

The IOC says a lot of things. Doesn't mean their actions will necessarily follow. Turin 2006 COULD have an effect on Rome 2024. Stefan's comment is not irrelevant by any stretch of the imagination. It might not be a factor, but you can't cite a soundbite like that as gospel.

The IOC says a lot of things. Doesn't mean their actions will necessarily follow. Turin 2006 COULD have an effect on Rome 2024. Stefan's comment is not irrelevant by any stretch of the imagination. It might not be a factor, but you can't cite a soundbite like that as gospel.

Ok. It's not a factor then. But I'm sure that if Rome doesn't win the 2024 Summer Olympics, it won't be because Turin hosted the 2006 Winter Olympics, it will be because another Bid is stronger. Again, Durban should Bid for 2028, because 2024 is coming back to Europe. Rome VS Paris VS Berlin.

Intertwining the Summer & Winter Olympics only matters to the IOC when they want it to matter. If it's convenient for them not to make a big deal about it, then they won't. Had Rome bid for 2020, Turin 2006 wouldn't have been much of a factor anyway cuz Japan also had several Olympics under their belt. Same with Spain having had a recent Summer Olympics. But Turin 2006 would be the least of Rome's worries anyway if they bid for 2024 with South Africa in the picture.

For some saying that others shouldn't bid now, like Paris or the U.S. in the event the IOC is not too happy with the quality of the South African bid & then therefore that's the IOC's problem, well, how much different is that from other bid races with a heavy sentimental favorite. Have we not learned anything from the 2020 race? Refraining could mean passing up a good opportunity. If Paris for example, had bid for 2020, I willing to bet money that they would've gotten 2020 instead of Tokyo (bcuz the IOC got cold feet with Istanbul at the last minute).

I also think that if anyone could give the South Africans a good run for their continental money, it'd be the French. Let's also keep in mind, that 2024 being somewhere else other than Europe would mark the first time that the Summer Games would be away from the continent for a record 16 years. But at the same token, the only contender that could have that power to actually make that happen for the first time, would be one as compelling as South Africa. The U.S. (or anyone else from NA, for that matter) would have neither advantage in their court. So in their cases, yeah, it'd be more sacrificial than competitive.

Ok. It's not a factor then. But I'm sure that if Rome doesn't win the 2024 Summer Olympics, it won't be because Turin hosted the 2006 Winter Olympics, it will be because another Bid is stronger.

Exactly. The IOC makes it an issue when they want. And not make it one when it's convenient for them to do so. As with everything else they do or don't do.

I still don't get where this love of South Africa comes from. Is it because Africa has never hosted an Olympics? Neither has Antarctica. I don't see anyone rushing to host a games there.

Both would be terrible choices. You thought Sochi and Rio was filled with corruption? A South Africa bid would be filled with murder on a nightly basis.

Antarctica isn't home to over one Billion people with good athletes from across the continent competing at the Olympic Games. Seriously, what are you on for making such a short-sided comparison. That's not even apples to oranges.

As far as your second sentence, it's nothing but pure hyperbole.

Oh I don't think Torino would be a decisive factor, but I think it might make argumentation pro-Rome harder because Italy, a country with serious issues these days, was an Olympic host just over a decade before the vote while the whole continent of Africa never had anything.

Eventually, I'm quite confident the South Africans are determined and know what they're doing so they can combine the sentimental factor with a technically acceptable - if not perfect - bid, while its competitors will seriously lack the emotional part.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just on the page where if the IOC is dead-set on something, like a particular host, etc, it doesn't matter what kind of, &/or how many, pro-arguments that you can make for anyone else. Hence, why some are saying that everyone else should just stay away now.

I still say, though, that if anyone can give the South Africans good competition, it'd be the Europeans. Especially since a 2024 Games outside Europe would mean the first time the summer Games would be away for 16 years from the continent. Otoh, I don't see North America being as competitive, especially now that we know that the IOC sees it as "the Americas'" (& two of the major countries there have had more than their fair share of Olympic Games), & Rio 2016 takes care of that for awhile.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just on the page where if the IOC is dead-set on something, like a particular host, etc, it doesn't matter what kind of, &/or how many, pro-arguments that you can make for anyone else. Hence, why some are saying that everyone else should just stay away now.

I still say, though, that if anyone can give the South Africans good competition, it'd be the Europeans. Especially since a 2024 Games outside Europe would mean the first time the summer Games would be away for 16 years from the continent. Otoh, I don't see North America being as competitive, especially now that we know that the IOC sees it as "the Americas'" (& two of the major countries there have had more than their fair share of Olympic Games), & Rio 2016 takes care of that for awhile.

Thank You. Although, South Africa don't have a chance for 2024 IMO. It's Rome's time. It's Europe's time.

I think only SA would get the IOC to create a 16 year gap for Europe, though maybe they need one failed bit and then get 2028.

Either way, 2024/2028 seem pretty locked for Africa and Europe now, in whichever order, IMHO. And the US or Canada should make up their mind if they want to go for Winter 2026, which they both should have a good shot at, or sit that out and aim for the 30s SOG. That's quite a long stretch though and I'm not sure whether they want to be patient for so long.

Archived