IOC lifts ban on India

Two days after the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) successfully conducted its elections, the International Olympic Committee has lifted India`s 14-month old ban from Olympics.

The news comes after fresh elections declared World Squash Federation President, younger brother of BCCI chief N Srinivasan, Ramachandran as president of IOA.

The IOC had hinted recently that India could be brought back to the Olympic fold after the IOA elections. IOC President Thomas Bach had hinted India`s return even before the Winter Olympics which began in Sochi if the IOA held its elections before the Games.

Three Indians could not take part in the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics under the tri-colour due to India`s suspension by the IOC and the IOA had to draw flak from all quarters for bringing shame on the country.

So now Indian athletes can compete under their flag and walk behind the flag in the closing ceremony

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/others/india-returns-to-olympic-fold_780314.html

So now Indian athletes can compete under their flag and walk behind the flag in the closing ceremony

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/others/india-returns-to-olympic-fold_780314.html

They walk out en masse at the Closing. I even doubt that they'll be sending out cherry pickers to hang India's flag in all the rafters. A little too late for that.

I thought all the athletes enter together in the closing ceremony? Like the summer closing ceremony

That's it; they all enter en masse, not as separate delegations. And all 89 flags also march out on their own. So unless the commentators make mention of the fact--and if viewers at home or in the pub, aren't talking over the commentary, then except for the Indian Olympic Committee, who will really notice??

Makes you wonder why they couldn't sort this two weeks earlier. :blink:

Well exactly. I saw a report come out that it will give a boost to Indian Atheletes competing. I didnt think that the Inidians were threatening a medal. So maybe a boost not to finish last in their respective event. :)