Curling

He's Swedish, he'll just comfort himself in beautiful Swedish women, wonderful Swedish nature, top notch Swedish health care and education and just being Swedish. Also Lindholm didn't exactly light up the Olympics either. So a medal gives him one up on that Swedish great.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also
can the faverout team have the ice adjusted , I read the person who prepares the ice is Canadian ,
Could the Canadian team have practised before the games on Ice they new would be different to the Olympic ice in order to ask to have the ice adjusted during the games to suit them and wrong foot there opponent.

Also

can the faverout team have the ice adjusted , I read the person who prepares the ice is Canadian ,

Could the Canadian team have practised before the games on Ice they new would be different to the Olympic ice in order to ask to have the ice , adjusted during the games to suit them and wrong foot there opponent.

Hans made the ice because he is the best ice maker in the world. He has been the ice maker at the World Championships on and off since 1992, including every time Canada host. Which is now every year. Britain's result is primarily the cause of the dysfunction of putting David Murdoch in to skip Tom Brewster's team. Sweden, Norway, Britain and China also give substantially more support and funding to their national curling team. Those 4 teams (China-Sweden-Norway-Britain) are as close to professional curlers as you can get. Edin and Liu spend most of the year in Canada, as did Betty Wang until recently.

I didn't know about this (it's not too far from me). Explains why all our curlers are Scottish anyway...

The phones have been ringing non-stop at England's only dedicated curling rink since Team GB's run of medal success at the Sochi Winter Olympics.

Business is booming, despite its unlikely location on a farm just outside Tunbridge Wells in Kent.

"We've had a big surge in all sorts of enquiries," said owner Ernest Fenton.

"People are ringing and saying things like. 'I live in Northampton and my daughter wants to give it a try'.

"People from all over the place."

The men's and women's curlers have delivered half Team GB's current haul of four medals at Sochi 2014.

The women, under Eve Muirhead won bronze on Thursday and the men, led by skip David Murdoch, took silver on Friday.

"Leading up to the Olympics all the focus of attention seemed to be on the girls' team but Dave Murdoch had already won the World Championships twice," said Mr Fenton.

"He is the man with experience and I'm not surprised he was in the final.

"But the Canadians don't make many mistakes."

Every one of Team GB's curlers is Scottish and the game originated on Scotland's frozen lakes in the 15th Century.

So why is there a rink in the heart of Kent, the garden of England?

Mr Fenton, a Scot who moved to London to work as an accountant more than 30 years ago, is a keen curler himself.

He bought the farm in 1982 and converted his cowshed into a curling rink in 2004 because he couldn't find anywhere to play his favourite sport.

"Curling was my main winter enjoyment - it's very popular in Scotland," he said.

"When I came down here I couldn't find any curling to start with."

After about a year he started playing at ice rinks in Richmond, Streatham and at Alexandra Palace but, because they were mainly used for skating, "the ice was awful for us".

His rink is just for curling.

It is the base for the England men's and women's curling teams and is currently hosting the five-day England men's championship.

However, Mr Fenton said despite his rink's status as the home to international sports teams, the venue is not a money-spinner.

"It's commercial suicide because the rink is full when there are 24 people on it, whereas if I had skaters there would be 10 times as many," he said.

"When I had the cows they made a loss and they were very messy.

"The curlers are slightly less messy but they still make a loss. Well not quite - it breaks even."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-26273446

_73140261_img_3965.jpg

Apparently the ratings in China and Japan were huge. Yesterday half the viewing public on tv was watching curling!

That's nice to know. The emergence of China, Japan and Korea has done a lot of good to Curling.

What do people think about the alternate (reserve) getting a medal, and getting presented with it, for the curling? I think it's a bit unfair really - medals have to be earned and if they play in the round robin stage at least once fair enough, but to pick up an Olympic medal without ever having competed at the Olympics, however important you are behind the scenes, isn't quite right IMO. After all the reserves for sports like Bobsleigh or rowing don't get one, so why should they for curling.

On that note though it is rumoured that Chelsea's John Terry is now bidding to be the alternate for the 2018 games.

What do people think about the alternate (reserve) getting a medal, and getting presented with it, for the curling? I think it's a bit unfair really - medals have to be earned and if they play in the round robin stage at least once fair enough, but to pick up an Olympic medal without ever having competed at the Olympics, however important you are behind the scenes, isn't quite right IMO. After all the reserves for sports like Bobsleigh or rowing don't get one, so why should they for curling.

On that note though it is rumoured that Chelsea's John Terry is now bidding to be the alternate for the 2018 games.

They must play, it is within the Olympic Charter that an athlete must compete on the field of play or be dressed (in the case of goalies/keepers) to recieve a medal. It is why coaches don't get medals.

Archived